APM problem - Portable

This is a discussion on APM problem - Portable ; Hi, I have a problem with APM on my laptop. I have a TOSHIBA SATTELITE with a linux kernel 2.6.3 (from Mandrake 10.0) installed. I want to check the battery status with the apm utility. The apmd daemon seems running ...

  1. APM problem

    Hi,
    I have a problem with APM on my laptop. I have a TOSHIBA SATTELITE with
    a linux kernel 2.6.3 (from Mandrake 10.0) installed.
    I want to check the battery status with the apm utility. The apmd daemon
    seems running fine, but when I invoke apm, I get the following message
    "AC on-line, no system battery", even though no AC power supply is plugged.

    Can anyone tell me what happens ?

    Thanks

  2. Re: APM problem

    Alemanni Gilberto wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have a problem with APM on my laptop. I have a TOSHIBA SATTELITE with
    > a linux kernel 2.6.3 (from Mandrake 10.0) installed.
    > I want to check the battery status with the apm utility. The apmd daemon
    > seems running fine, but when I invoke apm, I get the following message
    > "AC on-line, no system battery", even though no AC power supply is plugged.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what happens ?

    Since EVERY Toshiba Sattelite is different from EVERY Toshiba Sattelite,
    knowing the EXACT model number is important (and I mean EXACT). Toshiba
    is notorious for having a non-standard APM implementation as well as
    a non-standard ACPI implementation... but it does vary greaty depending
    on the model.

    Without knowing the EXACT model.. it's hard to diagnose.

  3. Re: APM problem

    Chris Cox a écrit :
    > Alemanni Gilberto wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>I have a problem with APM on my laptop. I have a TOSHIBA SATTELITE with
    >>a linux kernel 2.6.3 (from Mandrake 10.0) installed.
    >>I want to check the battery status with the apm utility. The apmd daemon
    >>seems running fine, but when I invoke apm, I get the following message
    >>"AC on-line, no system battery", even though no AC power supply is plugged.
    >>
    >>Can anyone tell me what happens ?

    > Since EVERY Toshiba Sattelite is different from EVERY Toshiba Sattelite,
    > knowing the EXACT model number is important (and I mean EXACT). Toshiba
    > is notorious for having a non-standard APM implementation as well as
    > a non-standard ACPI implementation... but it does vary greaty depending
    > on the model.
    >
    > Without knowing the EXACT model.. it's hard to diagnose.

    Thanks,

    from the back of my Satellite, I got the following informations:

    S1900-300
    Model No: PS192E-00G1N-SL
    Seral No: Y2843114G

  4. Re: APM problem

    Alemanni Gilberto wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have a problem with APM on my laptop. I have a TOSHIBA SATTELITE with
    > a linux kernel 2.6.3 (from Mandrake 10.0) installed.
    > I want to check the battery status with the apm utility. The apmd daemon
    > seems running fine, but when I invoke apm, I get the following message
    > "AC on-line, no system battery", even though no AC power supply is
    > plugged.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what happens ?

    My Toshiba (portege 4000) does not support APM at all; you need ACPI.

    {pts/2}% cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state
    present: yes
    capacity state: ok
    charging state: discharging
    present rate: 13964 mW