*sigh* Linux wireless: what works? - Portable

This is a discussion on *sigh* Linux wireless: what works? - Portable ; "Gerbilio" writes: >It does indeed! Since my last post I bought an Intel 2100 internal >card cheap on eBay, only to have it blocked because it wasn't on the >whitelist! No idea what you are saying. There exist native drivers ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: *sigh* Linux wireless: what works?

    "Gerbilio" writes:

    >It does indeed! Since my last post I bought an Intel 2100 internal
    >card cheap on eBay, only to have it blocked because it wasn't on the
    >whitelist!

    No idea what you are saying. There exist native drivers for intel 2100
    wireless cards.
    What whitelist? What block?

    >*sigh* And so the search goes on...

    >Matt

  2. Re: *sigh* Linux wireless: what works?

    On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 16:17:18 -0700, Bill Waddington
    wrote:

    >On 3 Oct 2005 15:01:39 -0700, "Gerbilio" wrote:
    >
    >[context reinserted]
    >
    >>>IIRC, the ThinkPad BIOS blocks _internal_ cards (mini PCI) that aren't
    >>>on the whitelist.

    >>It does indeed! Since my last post I bought an Intel 2100 internal
    >>card cheap on eBay, only to have it blocked because it wasn't on the
    >>whitelist!
    >>
    >>*sigh* And so the search goes on...

    >Well fsck! Seems like the whitelist excludescards that haven't
    >been personally blessed by IBM/Lenovo even when they are the same
    >model. I guess the eBay search has to include "wrenched from an
    >actual IBM ThinkPad" or something.
    >
    >Here's a link I just googled up:
    >
    >http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/lin...06.1/1105.html
    >
    >Looks scary as hell! I haven't followed the thread or tried any
    >of this. Might work, might make winged monkeys fly out of your ass.
    >No idea, just thought it looked interesting.

    And I found this when I took a look at eBay:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Intel-Pro-Wi...QQcmdZViewItem

    You must not have noticed this when you purchased your mini card.

    And ... I hate to nag, but it would sure help if you would include some
    context w/your posts.

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  3. Re: *sigh* Linux wireless: what works?

    On 4 Oct 2005 01:15:27 GMT, Unruh wrote:
    > "Gerbilio" writes:
    >
    >>It does indeed! Since my last post I bought an Intel 2100 internal
    >>card cheap on eBay, only to have it blocked because it wasn't on the
    >>whitelist!

    > No idea what you are saying. There exist native drivers for intel 2100
    > wireless cards.
    > What whitelist? What block?
    >
    >>*sigh* And so the search goes on...

    >>Matt

    I've seen a few laptops that will simply not boot if a wifi card is
    inserted into the minipci slot that is not "white-listed". This was
    documented over on the thinkpad thinkwiki I believe. There are also ways
    around it that I have seen documented on the thinkpad mailing list.

    The native drivers exist; but you have to be able to boot the laptop to
    compile and use them. Without some kind of trick or change, the laptops
    will simply not boot.

    --
    Michael Perry | do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
    mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org

  4. Re: *sigh* Linux wireless: what works?

    Michael Perry writes:

    >On 4 Oct 2005 01:15:27 GMT, Unruh wrote:
    >> "Gerbilio" writes:
    >>
    >>>It does indeed! Since my last post I bought an Intel 2100 internal
    >>>card cheap on eBay, only to have it blocked because it wasn't on the
    >>>whitelist!

    >> No idea what you are saying. There exist native drivers for intel 2100
    >> wireless cards.
    >> What whitelist? What block?
    >>
    >>>*sigh* And so the search goes on...

    >>>Matt

    >I've seen a few laptops that will simply not boot if a wifi card is
    >inserted into the minipci slot that is not "white-listed". This was
    >documented over on the thinkpad thinkwiki I believe. There are also ways
    >around it that I have seen documented on the thinkpad mailing list.

    >The native drivers exist; but you have to be able to boot the laptop to
    >compile and use them. Without some kind of trick or change, the laptops
    >will simply not boot.

    Weird. remind me which they are so we can refuse to buy them. This is
    insane.

    >--
    >Michael Perry | do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
    >mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org

  5. Re: *sigh* Linux wireless: what works?

    On 22 Sep 2005 00:16:03 -0700, Gerbilio wrote:

    > I've tried four different cards now, without success. I am running
    > Mandrake 10.2 on an IBM ThinkPad R40, on which just about everything
    > seems to work but the wireless. >:-(
    >
    > Are there any cards that work particularly well with Linux? Is an 11b
    > card more likely to work than an 11g? Any suggestions? Help!
    >
    > Matt

    Linksys WPC11, works with no problem.

    --
    1)What is your only comfort in life and death?
    Chuck Bridgeland, chuckbri at computerdyn dot com

  6. Re: *sigh* Linux wireless: what works?

    On 10/12/2005 5:39:50 AM, Chuck Bridgeland wrote:
    >On 22 Sep 2005 00:16:03 -0700, Gerbilio wrote:
    >
    >> I've tried four different cards now, without success. I am running
    >> Mandrake 10.2 on an IBM ThinkPad R40, on which just about everything
    >> seems to work but the wireless. >:-(
    >>
    >> Are there any cards that work particularly well with Linux? Is an 11b
    >> card more likely to work than an 11g? Any suggestions? Help!
    >>
    >> Matt
    >>

    >Linksys WPC11, works with no problem.
    >

    >--
    > 1)What is your only comfort in life and death?
    >Chuck Bridgeland, chuckbri at computerdyn dot com

    Well, I've had orinoco classic gold cards that are 11b work perfectly and
    I've had prism54 cards working on debian pretty easily. On the other hand, I
    got stung with a Netgear Card because one version was made in one place would
    work and the other would not. Pretty frustrating all in all.

    Best luck I have to admit to having is using linuxant or ndiswrapper with the
    so-called "windows only cards". Linuxant works very nicely here with Linksys
    cards. There are other cards that work with various drivers like the prism54
    and prism54.org will tell you a few of them I think.

    The other card that is a G card that works very well here now is the Intell
    2200ABG card with the native drivers. Its a mini-pci card. Works very well.