Linksys Wireless -G Notebook Adapter troubles - Portable

This is a discussion on Linksys Wireless -G Notebook Adapter troubles - Portable ; Hi. Since my last query I have upgraded to Mandrake/Mandriva 10.2, which is rather better. At least it knows there's such a thing as a wireless network! I have tried setting up the wireless network using the Control Center, and ...

  1. Linksys Wireless -G Notebook Adapter troubles

    Hi. Since my last query I have upgraded to Mandrake/Mandriva 10.2,
    which is rather better. At least it knows there's such a thing as a
    wireless network!

    I have tried setting up the wireless network using the Control Center,
    and it seemed to work---knew all about ndiswrapper and everything---but
    no dice. It says the network is set up, but it isn't.

    It may be that I couldn't find the right driver. There were two that
    looked promising on the installation CD-ROM: lsbcmnds.inf and
    LSTINDS.INF. I've tried them both, neither could find the wireless
    network.

    And here is the result of lspci:

    03:00.0 Network controller: Texas Instruments ACX 111 54Mbps Wireless
    Interface
    Subsystem: Linksys: Unknown device 0033
    Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 11
    Memory at 40820000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
    Memory at 40800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]

    One more question: one page of the Control Center installer asks for
    the "wireless parameters" RCS/CTS and Fragmentation. I didn't know
    what to put, so I left them blank. Would this be right?

    Any suggestions?

    MTIA, Matt

  2. Re: Linksys Wireless -G Notebook Adapter troubles

    "Gerbilio" writes:

    >Hi. Since my last query I have upgraded to Mandrake/Mandriva 10.2,
    >which is rather better. At least it knows there's such a thing as a
    >wireless network!

    >I have tried setting up the wireless network using the Control Center,
    >and it seemed to work---knew all about ndiswrapper and everything---but
    >no dice. It says the network is set up, but it isn't.

    How do you know it isn't?

    Does iwlist -s
    say anything when you are near a wireless access point?
    If it does, (Ie lists some access points) your wireless works.

    >It may be that I couldn't find the right driver. There were two that
    >looked promising on the installation CD-ROM: lsbcmnds.inf and
    >LSTINDS.INF. I've tried them both, neither could find the wireless
    >network.

    >And here is the result of lspci:

    >03:00.0 Network controller: Texas Instruments ACX 111 54Mbps Wireless
    >Interface
    > Subsystem: Linksys: Unknown device 0033
    > Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 11
    > Memory at 40820000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
    > Memory at 40800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
    > Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2

    >One more question: one page of the Control Center installer asks for
    >the "wireless parameters" RCS/CTS and Fragmentation. I didn't know
    >what to put, so I left them blank. Would this be right?

    >Any suggestions?

    >MTIA, Matt

  3. Re: Linksys Wireless -G Notebook Adapter troubles

    Okay, thanks for your reply. I tried "iwlist wlan0 scan" (which is the
    way Mandrake seems to like it), and got this:

    wlan0 Scan completed :
    Cell 01 - Address: 00:12:17:70:EE:1B
    ESSID:"Rex_Network"
    Protocol:IEEE 802.11b
    Mode:Managed
    Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
    Quality:0/100 Signal level:-64 dBm Noise
    level:-256 dBm
    Encryption keyn
    Bit Rate:1 Mb/s
    Bit Rate:2 Mb/s
    Bit Rate:5.5 Mb/s
    Bit Rate:11 Mb/s
    Bit Rate:6 Mb/s
    Bit Rate:9 Mb/s
    Bit Rate:12 Mb/s
    Bit Rate:18 Mb/s
    Bit Rate:24 Mb/s
    Bit Rate:36 Mb/s
    Bit Rate:48 Mb/s
    Bit Rate:54 Mb/s
    Extra:bcn_int=100
    Extra:atim=0

    Extra:wpa_ie=dd160050f20101000050f20201000050f2020 1000050f202

    So, it seems to think there's something there. Why can't I use it?

    Matt

  4. Re: Linksys Wireless -G Notebook Adapter troubles

    Found out a bit more. The Linksys card I'm using uses TI circuitry,
    which does not speak with Linux. D-:<

    Ah, well... Matt

+ Reply to Thread