Help! - Portable

This is a discussion on Help! - Portable ; I need help guys! Thanks in advance to everyone but the smartasses!...

  1. Help!

    I need help guys!

    Thanks in advance to everyone but the smartasses!

  2. Re: Help!

    "mike48151" wrote in message
    > I need help guys!
    >
    > Thanks in advance to everyone but the smartasses!

    You certainly do especially as, in your haste to be sarcastic, you forgot to
    post what you need help with!

    --
    Regards
    Martin Hughes

  3. Re: Help!

    mike48151 wrote:

    > I need help guys!

    Yes, of course you do. Now if you'll just lie down on this couch and tell
    me why you hate your mother... ;-)

  4. Re: Help!

    On 16-Sep-2005, James Knott wrote:

    >> I need help guys!

    > Yes, of course you do. Now if you'll just lie down on this couch and tell
    > me why you hate your mother... ;-)

    She never helped me when I told her I needed help! She would just give me
    some smartass reply!

  5. Re: Help!

    mike48151 wrote:
    > On 16-Sep-2005, James Knott wrote:
    >
    >>> I need help guys!

    >> Yes, of course you do. Now if you'll just lie down on this couch and tell
    >> me why you hate your mother... ;-)

    > She never helped me when I told her I needed help! She would just give me
    > some smartass reply!

    But you haven't told us what you need bloody help with! If you don't do
    that, you're beyond it.

    --
    Nobby

  6. Re: Help!

    On 16-Sep-2005, Nobody Here wrote:

    >>> Yes, of course you do. Now if you'll just lie down on this couch and
    >>> tell
    >>> me why you hate your mother... ;-)

    >> She never helped me when I told her I needed help! She would just give
    >> me
    >> some smartass reply!

    > But you haven't told us what you need bloody help with! If you don't do
    > that, you're beyond it.

    Great, another smartass, just like my mother!

  7. Re: Help!

    mike48151 wrote:

    >>> She never helped me when I told her I needed help! She would just give
    >>> me
    >>> some smartass reply!

    >> But you haven't told us what you need bloody help with! If you don't do
    >> that, you're beyond it.

    > Great, another smartass, just like my mother!

    Ok, here's what I did to resolve it. Get your FC4 disk 1, and boot off
    it. At the boot prompt, type "linux rescue" (without the ""s). Answer
    all the questions regarding keyboard, language and the like, and get
    to the point where it says it'll mount your existing system if you like.
    You can either accept or decline that, not matter, and you'll eventually
    get to a shell.

    At the shell, type the following command:

    dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/hda

    and press return. Wait for a bit. Actually quite a while, but eventually
    you'll get the shell prompt back. You'll need to substitute something
    else if your hard disk isn't the master disk on the primary ide controller
    or it's a SCSI disk or something.

    Exit the shell and your system will reboot, remember to remove the CD
    from the drive so you don't boot off that. You won't have the problem
    after that. Other distros may support the "linux rescue" boot mode.

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Nobby

  8. Re: Help!

    >>> But you haven't told us what you need bloody help with! If you don't
    >>> do
    >>> that, you're beyond it.

    >> Great, another smartass, just like my mother!

    > Ok, here's what I did to resolve it. Get your FC4 disk 1, and boot off
    > it. At the boot prompt, type "linux rescue" (without the ""s). Answer

    > from the drive so you don't boot off that. You won't have the problem
    > after that. Other distros may support the "linux rescue" boot mode.

    It is very nice of you to try to help, but I think that you are talking
    about mike48150's problem, and I am mike48151.

    I still need help!

  9. Re: Help!

    mike48151 wrote:

    >>> Great, another smartass, just like my mother!

    >> Ok, here's what I did to resolve it. Get your FC4 disk 1, and boot off
    >> it. At the boot prompt, type "linux rescue" (without the ""s). Answer

    >> from the drive so you don't boot off that. You won't have the problem
    >> after that. Other distros may support the "linux rescue" boot mode.

    > It is very nice of you to try to help, but I think that you are talking
    > about mike48150's problem, and I am mike48151.
    >
    > I still need help!

    Ah, so you are, sorry. Your problem relates to your using msn.com,
    and it's self inflicted. Only Evil Bill and the Vole Empire can help
    you.

    --
    Nobby

  10. Re: Help!

    On 17-Sep-2005, Nobody Here wrote:

    >>> Ok, here's what I did to resolve it. Get your FC4 disk 1, and boot off
    >>> it. At the boot prompt, type "linux rescue" (without the ""s). Answer

    >>> from the drive so you don't boot off that. You won't have the problem
    >>> after that. Other distros may support the "linux rescue" boot mode.

    >> It is very nice of you to try to help, but I think that you are talking
    >> about mike48150's problem, and I am mike48151.
    >>
    >> I still need help!

    > Ah, so you are, sorry. Your problem relates to your using msn.com,
    > and it's self inflicted. Only Evil Bill and the Vole Empire can help
    > you.

    Now you are just being a smartass! I might as well have asked my mother!

  11. Re: Help!

    mike48151 wrote:
    > I need help guys!
    >
    > Thanks in advance to everyone but the smartasses!

    No problem. Did that fix your problem?
    Let us know so others will know the proposed
    solution worked.

    Thanks,
    Chris

  12. Re: Help!

    On 19-Sep-2005, Chris Cox wrote:

    >> I need help guys!
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance to everyone but the smartasses!

    > No problem. Did that fix your problem?
    > Let us know so others will know the proposed
    > solution worked.

    Smartass answerrs don't help at all!

  13. Re: Help!

    mike48151 wrote:
    > On 19-Sep-2005, Chris Cox wrote:
    >
    >>>I need help guys!
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance to everyone but the smartasses!

    >>No problem. Did that fix your problem?
    >>Let us know so others will know the proposed
    >>solution worked.

    > Smartass answerrs don't help at all!

    I'm not talking about those. Which answer were
    you referring to? I'm just interested in knowing
    if the any of the good answers worked for you or
    not. Frankly, I didn't know that more than one
    had been offered. It's unclear. Just hoping
    you'd help clear things up a bit.

  14. Re: Help!

    On 20-Sep-2005, Chris Cox wrote:

    >>>No problem. Did that fix your problem?
    >>>Let us know so others will know the proposed
    >>>solution worked.

    >> Smartass answerrs don't help at all!

    > I'm not talking about those. Which answer were
    > you referring to? I'm just interested in knowing
    > if the any of the good answers worked for you or
    > not. Frankly, I didn't know that more than one
    > had been offered. It's unclear. Just hoping
    > you'd help clear things up a bit.

    I have not got any answers that weren't smartass answers.

    But maybe you have confused me with mike48150. (He had a problem that was
    differenet from my problem and different from the different problem, but the
    same as the same problem.)

  15. Re: Help!

    mike48151 wrote:

    > I have not got any answers that weren't smartass answers.
    >
    > But maybe you have confused me with mike48150. (He had a problem that was
    > differenet from my problem and different from the different problem, but the
    > same as the same problem.)

    Oh... well.. what exactly was your problem again? Perhaps I was
    mixed up.

  16. Re: Help!

    On 20-Sep-2005, Chris Cox wrote:

    >> I have not got any answers that weren't smartass answers.
    >>
    >> But maybe you have confused me with mike48150. (He had a problem that
    >> was different from my problem and different from the different problem,
    >> but the same as the same problem.)

    > Oh... well.. what exactly was your problem again? Perhaps I was
    > mixed up.

    After all this time, I forgot what my problem is, which is a new problem
    then, and I still want some real help instead of smartass answers.

  17. Re: Help!

    mike48151 wrote:
    > On 20-Sep-2005, Chris Cox wrote:
    >
    >>>I have not got any answers that weren't smartass answers.
    >>>
    >>>But maybe you have confused me with mike48150. (He had a problem that
    >>>was different from my problem and different from the different problem,
    >>>but the same as the same problem.)

    >>Oh... well.. what exactly was your problem again? Perhaps I was
    >>mixed up.

    > After all this time, I forgot what my problem is, which is a new problem
    > then, and I still want some real help instead of smartass answers.

    Not a bad answer. Others may be able to learn from this.

  18. Re: Help!

    On 2005-09-21, mike48151 wrote:
    > On 20-Sep-2005, Chris Cox wrote:
    >
    >>> I have not got any answers that weren't smartass answers.
    >>>
    >>> But maybe you have confused me with mike48150. (He had a problem that
    >>> was different from my problem and different from the different problem,
    >>> but the same as the same problem.)

    >> Oh... well.. what exactly was your problem again? Perhaps I was
    >> mixed up.

    > After all this time, I forgot what my problem is, which is a new problem
    > then, and I still want some real help instead of smartass answers.

    Aricept?

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  19. Re: Help!

    On 21-Sep-2005, John Thompson wrote:

    >>> Oh... well.. what exactly was your problem again? Perhaps I was
    >>> mixed up.

    >> After all this time, I forgot what my problem is, which is a new problem
    >> then, and I still want some real help instead of smartass answers.

    > Aricept?

    My doctor told me to get that, but I couldn't download it anywhere. Anyway,
    I'm pretty sure that Microsoft has something better.

  20. Re: Help!

    mike48151 wrote:

    >>> After all this time, I forgot what my problem is, which is a new problem
    >>> then, and I still want some real help instead of smartass answers.

    >> Aricept?

    > My doctor told me to get that, but I couldn't download it anywhere. Anyway,
    > I'm pretty sure that Microsoft has something better.

    ITIYM "something bitter".

    --
    Nobby

+ Reply to Thread