Nokia getting ready to dump Symbian? - Portable

This is a discussion on Nokia getting ready to dump Symbian? - Portable ; http://msmobiles.com/news.php/4070.html "Nokia did it once and now Nokia is preparing to do it again. In past Nokia Communicator phones were based on GEOS operating system. Then, without releasing commercial phones with it, Nokia ported Palm OS and tested it internally. ...

  1. Nokia getting ready to dump Symbian?

    http://msmobiles.com/news.php/4070.html

    "Nokia did it once and now Nokia is preparing to do it again. In past
    Nokia Communicator phones were based on GEOS operating system. Then,
    without releasing commercial phones with it, Nokia ported Palm OS and
    tested it internally. Then Nokia dumped GEOS and switched to Symbian -
    based on EPOC from Psion. Now Nokia is already testing internally
    Series 60 and other platforms on Linux..."

  2. Re: Nokia getting ready to dump Symbian?

    totojepast@razdva.cz wrote:
    > http://msmobiles.com/news.php/4070.html
    >
    > "Nokia did it once and now Nokia is preparing to do it again. In past
    > Nokia Communicator phones were based on GEOS operating system. Then,
    > without releasing commercial phones with it, Nokia ported Palm OS and
    > tested it internally. Then Nokia dumped GEOS and switched to Symbian -
    > based on EPOC from Psion. Now Nokia is already testing internally
    > Series 60 and other platforms on Linux..."

    If you were Nokia's management, would you put all your eggs in one
    basket, or would you make sure that you had several baskets with fewer
    eggs in each?

    This is normal business behaviour, intended to protect shareholders and
    jobs against changes in market sentiment (bloody hell, I'm an analyst
    now, someone want to give me a job writing yards of spiel about this
    stuff?).

    --

    Brian Morrison

    please observe reply-to address

  3. Re: Nokia getting ready to dump Symbian?

    totojepast@razdva.cz wrote:

    > http://msmobiles.com/news.php/4070.html
    >
    > "Nokia did it once and now Nokia is preparing to do it again. In past
    > Nokia Communicator phones were based on GEOS operating system. Then,
    > without releasing commercial phones with it, Nokia ported Palm OS and
    > tested it internally. Then Nokia dumped GEOS and switched to Symbian -
    > based on EPOC from Psion. Now Nokia is already testing internally
    > Series 60 and other platforms on Linux..."

    What would be nice, would be if they also produced desktop software that
    also works on Linux.

  4. Re: Nokia getting ready to dump Symbian?

    Brian Morrison wrote:

    > If you were Nokia's management, would you put all your eggs in one
    > basket, or would you make sure that you had several baskets with fewer
    > eggs in each?
    >
    > This is normal business behaviour, intended to protect shareholders and
    > jobs against changes in market sentiment (bloody hell, I'm an analyst
    > now, someone want to give me a job writing yards of spiel about this
    > stuff?).

    Also, there's the cost of licenses, that's not an issue with Linux.

  5. Re: Nokia getting ready to dump Symbian?

    James Knott wrote:
    > Brian Morrison wrote:
    >

    >>If you were Nokia's management, would you put all your eggs in one
    >>basket, or would you make sure that you had several baskets with fewer
    >>eggs in each?
    >>
    >>This is normal business behaviour, intended to protect shareholders and
    >>jobs against changes in market sentiment (bloody hell, I'm an analyst
    >>now, someone want to give me a job writing yards of spiel about this
    >>stuff?).

    > Also, there's the cost of licenses, that's not an issue with Linux.

    True enough, but since Nokia are a founding member of the Symbian
    consortium I would expect them to have a good deal on licence costs.

    --

    Brian Morrison

    please observe reply-to address

  6. Re: Nokia getting ready to dump Symbian?

    "James Knott" wrote in message
    news8qdnQcwW_nRi4LeRVn-og@rogers.com...
    > totojepast@razdva.cz wrote:
    >
    >> http://msmobiles.com/news.php/4070.html
    >>
    >> "Nokia did it once and now Nokia is preparing to do it again. In past
    >> Nokia Communicator phones were based on GEOS operating system. Then,
    >> without releasing commercial phones with it, Nokia ported Palm OS and
    >> tested it internally. Then Nokia dumped GEOS and switched to Symbian -
    >> based on EPOC from Psion. Now Nokia is already testing internally
    >> Series 60 and other platforms on Linux..."

    > What would be nice, would be if they also produced desktop software that
    > also works on Linux.

    I'd settle for it working reliably on Windows first.

  7. Re: Nokia getting ready to dump Symbian?

    GEOS? Is this the descendent of the original GEOS OS for the Commodore
    64 and Commodore 128? BTW, was the C64/128 GEOS UNIX-based?

  8. Re: Nokia getting ready to dump Symbian?

    Darth Chaos wrote:

    > GEOS? Is this the descendent of the original GEOS OS for the Commodore
    > 64 and Commodore 128? BTW, was the C64/128 GEOS UNIX-based?

    GEOS wasn't an OS it was just a GUI shell (like win3.1/95/98). It was later
    ported to DOS based PC's, then a few years later was renamed 'New Deal
    Office'. It was not UNIX based.

    It appears to be semi-abandonware - the homepage of the author, Geoworks is
    showing as 'Site being reconstructed' and the GEOS Support site run by
    users has a message that they've made cutbacks which include ditching the
    sales department and that anyone who wishes to order a copy of the software
    should email them and they'll get back to you when sales department
    re-opens.

    I can see why Nokia abandoned GEOS if the company (Geoworks) is so desparate
    to reduce costs they've dumped all the staff selling their only product,
    leaving Nokia no-one to buy licences from.

  9. Re: Nokia getting ready to dump Symbian?

    If Win3.1/98/98 was a GUI shell, then what is WinXP?

    The last time I was on the GEOS website, they had the C64, C128, and
    DOS versions of GEOS for free download (like you said, as abandonware,
    but still under copyright).

  10. Re: Nokia getting ready to dump Symbian?

    DarthChaosofRSPW@gmail.com wrote:
    > If Win3.1/98/98 was a GUI shell, then what is WinXP?
    >
    > The last time I was on the GEOS website, they had the C64, C128, and
    > DOS versions of GEOS for free download (like you said, as abandonware,
    > but still under copyright).

    Winx.x/9x/ME were indeed GUI shells which were loaded on top of the DOS
    kernel (AKA command interpreter, or COMMAND.COM), hence the ability to
    shell directly to a fully functional MS-DOS command interface or even
    reboot (or go via F8 during initial boot) to a CLI without loading
    Windows or any of its associated TSRs or other bits.
    XP is a GUI shell on the NT 5.1 kernel (loaded at boot via ntldr) - the
    DOS command shell as we now know it is a shell process under vmm32.vxd
    with an (compared to even DOS 4) extremely limited vocabulary. NT first
    made public appearance as NT Beta on 11 November 1992, to be released as
    WFWG 3.1 on 27 July 1993.

    --
    Cheers, http://www.dotware.co.uk
    Jim http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of
    Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking
    becomes a warning, it is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

+ Reply to Thread