Fedora core 4 modem problems - Portable

This is a discussion on Fedora core 4 modem problems - Portable ; Dear all, I recently installed Fedora Core 4 on my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. However I have experienced problems while trying to set-up a dial-up internet connection. I seems that FC 4 doesn't recognise my modem (a Conexant D110 MDC ...

  1. Fedora core 4 modem problems

    Dear all,

    I recently installed Fedora Core 4 on my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop.
    However I have experienced problems while trying to set-up a dial-up
    internet connection. I seems that FC 4 doesn't recognise my modem (a
    Conexant D110 MDC V.9x). I am a relatively new Linux user so I am not
    sure how to try to resolve this problem and would be grateful of any
    suggestions.

    Thanks for your help

    Neil

  2. Re: Fedora core 4 modem problems

    On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 01:20:53 -0700, n.forsythe wrote:

    > Dear all,
    >
    > I recently installed Fedora Core 4 on my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop.
    > However I have experienced problems while trying to set-up a dial-up
    > internet connection. I seems that FC 4 doesn't recognise my modem (a
    > Conexant D110 MDC V.9x). I am a relatively new Linux user so I am not
    > sure how to try to resolve this problem and would be grateful of any
    > suggestions.
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > Neil

    Is this a Winmodem? Linux doesn't do well with winmodems, a few are
    supported but most aren't. Do a Google search on you modem and Linux and
    see what comes up. The safe thing to do is to use an external serial
    port modem if you really need to use a modem. If you don't have a serial
    port then you'll need to get a USB to serial adapter, Keyspan adapters are
    well supported in Linux, if you have to go that route then that's the one
    to get.

  3. Re: Fedora core 4 modem problems

    On 6-Sep-2005, n.forsythe@qub.ac.uk wrote:

    > recently installed Fedora Core 4 on my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop.
    > However I have experienced problems while trying to set-up a dial-up
    > internet connection. I seems that FC 4 doesn't recognise my modem (a
    > Conexant D110 MDC V.9x). I am a relatively new Linux user so I am not
    > sure how to try to resolve this problem and would be grateful of any
    > suggestions.

    This is a so-called "winmodem"; it lacks its own DSP, and relies upon the
    CPU to produce tones.

    The driver for 52Kbps linux operation of the Conexant soft modems is _not_
    freely available. A licensed third party, linuxant

    _sells_ a driver for something like $15. They also provide a free driver
    for 14.4Kbps operation.

    (I am presently trying to learn how to instead use a PCMCIA modem.
    Unfrotunately, kudzu and other code seems unable to cope with the
    arrangement.)

+ Reply to Thread