High resolution Linux Laptop? - Portable

This is a discussion on High resolution Linux Laptop? - Portable ; -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1 Has anyone found a good high-res (1600x1024 or greater) "desktop killer" laptop... which runs Linux (even after reinstall)? I'm intrested to see who else has one. - -- eval join"",map{chomp;s/^.+>\s*//;$_}grep{/>/} ; __DATA__ .' .' ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: High resolution Linux Laptop?

  1. High resolution Linux Laptop?

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Has anyone found a good high-res (1600x1024 or greater) "desktop killer"
    laptop... which runs Linux (even after reinstall)? I'm intrested to see
    who else has one.


    - --
    eval join"",map{chomp;s/^.+>\s*//;$_}grep{/>/}; __DATA__
    .' .' Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price -- WolfSkunk Designs
    xX xX .' http://stalag99.net tygris @ same domain
    "X "X X .'
    _____. X" X > 0;
    XXXXXXXx. X".' > 0;
    '"XXXXXX| X > 0;
    "XXX| X" > 0;
    'XX' > 0;
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQFDG2eIRCiTQGVX194RAoxCAJ9eG7XRzZvv8jp1GVYBlw x2ouClKACfZsTG
    d++C5CvRbrigdO33AJd2ckc=
    =uAuo
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  2. Re: High resolution Linux Laptop?

    Kelly Price wrote:
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    > Hash: SHA1
    >
    > Has anyone found a good high-res (1600x1024 or greater) "desktop killer"
    > laptop... which runs Linux (even after reinstall)? I'm intrested to see
    > who else has one.
    >
    >



    I've got a Dell Latitude C840 (P4 2.0/1GB RAM/Dell Mobile Geforce 4
    MX440/15" XGA 1600x1200) running Knoppix/Debian.

    --
    Cheers, http://www.dotware.co.uk
    Jim http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of
    Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking
    becomes a warning, it is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

  3. Re: High resolution Linux Laptop?

    On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 19:26:51 -0500, Kelly Price wrote:

    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    > Hash: SHA1
    >
    > Has anyone found a good high-res (1600x1024 or greater) "desktop killer"
    > laptop... which runs Linux (even after reinstall)? I'm intrested to see
    > who else has one.


    I have a Compaq R3000z, AMD64 3400+, 1680x1050 display. I have FC3 and
    CentOS4.1 on it.

  4. Re: High resolution Linux Laptop?

    Kelly Price wrote:
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    > Hash: SHA1
    >
    > Has anyone found a good high-res (1600x1024 or greater) "desktop killer"
    > laptop... which runs Linux (even after reinstall)? I'm intrested to see
    > who else has one.
    >


    Dell M70 (1920x1200) running SUSE 9.3.

  5. Re: High resolution Linux Laptop?

    Jim wrote:
    > I've got a Dell Latitude C840 (P4 2.0/1GB RAM/Dell Mobile Geforce 4
    > MX440/15" XGA 1600x1200) running Knoppix/Debian.


    I run both Mandrake 10.1 and Suse 9.2 on one of they. The only
    non-functioning bit is the lid switch. Close the lid and you loose the
    picture for ever...


  6. Re: High resolution Linux Laptop?

    robertharvey@my-deja.com wrote:
    > Jim wrote:
    >
    >>I've got a Dell Latitude C840 (P4 2.0/1GB RAM/Dell Mobile Geforce 4
    >>MX440/15" XGA 1600x1200) running Knoppix/Debian.

    >
    >
    > I run both Mandrake 10.1 and Suse 9.2 on one of they. The only
    > non-functioning bit is the lid switch. Close the lid and you loose the
    > picture for ever...
    >


    there's a problem with the ACPI on a lot of Dell laptops. Best I've
    managed to do is disable ACPI in the BIOS then use the lid event to turn
    off the backlight. Gives an extra 30 minutes on the battery - which, for
    a 6 hour battery on the 840, isn't to be sneezed at.

    --
    Cheers, http://www.dotware.co.uk
    Jim http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of
    Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking
    becomes a warning, it is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

  7. Re: High resolution Linux Laptop?

    On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 09:19:03 -0400, General Schvantzkoph
    dijo:

    >On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 19:26:51 -0500, Kelly Price wrote:
    >
    >> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    >> Hash: SHA1
    >>
    >> Has anyone found a good high-res (1600x1024 or greater) "desktop killer"
    >> laptop... which runs Linux (even after reinstall)? I'm intrested to see
    >> who else has one.

    >
    >I have a Compaq R3000z, AMD64 3400+, 1680x1050 display. I have FC3 and
    >CentOS4.1 on it.


    Same here, except mine is an R3240 and I use Ubuntu-64. Ubuntu
    installation auto-detected the video and set it up at 1680 x 1050 for
    me without even asking me.

    The 15.4" widescreen display is easier to read than my 21" desktop
    monitor at 1600 x 1200.

    --
    Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

  8. Re: High resolution Linux Laptop?

    Marek Williams writes:
    > >I have a Compaq R3000z, AMD64 3400+, 1680x1050 display. I have FC3 and
    > >CentOS4.1 on it.

    >
    > Same here, except mine is an R3240 and I use Ubuntu-64. Ubuntu
    > installation auto-detected the video and set it up at 1680 x 1050 for
    > me without even asking me.


    Those machines seem to be discontinued and all the replacement models
    have some evil video chip that only has closed-source drivers.

  9. Re: High resolution Linux Laptop?

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    On 14 Sep 2005 01:33:49 -0700, Paul Rubin
    probably wrote (unless it was a Kook):
    > Marek Williams writes:
    >> >I have a Compaq R3000z, AMD64 3400+, 1680x1050 display. I have FC3 and
    >> >CentOS4.1 on it.

    >>
    >> Same here, except mine is an R3240 and I use Ubuntu-64. Ubuntu
    >> installation auto-detected the video and set it up at 1680 x 1050 for
    >> me without even asking me.

    >
    > Those machines seem to be discontinued and all the replacement models
    > have some evil video chip that only has closed-source drivers.


    I don't mind the NVidia chipset -- my main rig has a NVidia card.

    - --
    eval join"",map{chomp;s/^.+>\s*//;$_}grep{/>/}; __DATA__
    .' .' Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price -- WolfSkunk Designs
    xX xX .' http://stalag99.net tygris @ same domain
    "X "X X .'
    _____. X" X > 0;
    XXXXXXXx. X".' > 0;
    '"XXXXXX| X > 0;
    "XXX| X" > 0;
    'XX' > 0;
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQFDKD7LRCiTQGVX194RAnP5AJ4yrXds7TwXWtnuX3Nyc2 14Mk6lUwCgglc5
    B6hR9Bxrmtrk1z6Z6/O5WzY=
    =s5v0
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  10. Re: High resolution Linux Laptop?

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 21:39:13 -0500, Kelly Price wrote:

    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    > Hash: SHA1
    >
    > On 14 Sep 2005 01:33:49 -0700, Paul Rubin
    > probably wrote (unless it was a Kook):
    >> Marek Williams writes:
    >>> >I have a Compaq R3000z, AMD64 3400+, 1680x1050 display. I have FC3 and
    >>> >CentOS4.1 on it.
    >>>
    >>> Same here, except mine is an R3240 and I use Ubuntu-64. Ubuntu
    >>> installation auto-detected the video and set it up at 1680 x 1050 for
    >>> me without even asking me.

    >>
    >> Those machines seem to be discontinued and all the replacement models
    >> have some evil video chip that only has closed-source drivers.

    >
    > I don't mind the NVidia chipset -- my main rig has a NVidia card.


    The problem is that the replacements are using ATI chipsets which aren't
    as well supported as Nvidia. The R3000 had Nvidia graphics which worked
    fine.

  11. Re: High resolution Linux Laptop?

    Jim wrote:
    > robertharvey@my-deja.com wrote:
    > > Jim wrote:
    > >>I've got a Dell Latitude C840 (P4 2.0/1GB RAM/Dell Mobile Geforce 4
    > >>MX440/15" XGA 1600x1200) running Knoppix/Debian.

    > > I run both Mandrake 10.1 and Suse 9.2 on one of they. The only
    > > non-functioning bit is the lid switch. Close the lid and you loose the
    > > picture for ever...

    > there's a problem with the ACPI on a lot of Dell laptops. Best I've
    > managed to do is disable ACPI in the BIOS then use the lid event to turn
    > off the backlight. Gives an extra 30 minutes on the battery - which, for
    > a 6 hour battery on the 840, isn't to be sneezed at.


    I remain very impressed by the C840 under Suse, but the design is
    appalling apart from the brilliant screen. close the lid and the keys
    press on that lovely screen and have permenantly scared the surface. I
    have had endless problems with the plug-in CD?DVD combo drive, and
    resting the palms on the case as recommended for RSI avoidance - and as
    shown in the original Dell flyer - causes the touchpad thingy to
    generate random cursor movements or inhibit keyboard input till you
    lift your wrists up. It cost a lot of money and has been nothing but
    trouble.

    But Suse/Mandrake/Ubuntu have been no bother at all on it, apart from
    Suse deferring loading the modem driver until the first time I dialled
    up!


  12. Re: High resolution Linux Laptop?

    robertharvey@my-deja.com wrote:
    > Jim wrote:
    >
    >>robertharvey@my-deja.com wrote:
    >>
    >>>Jim wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>I've got a Dell Latitude C840 (P4 2.0/1GB RAM/Dell Mobile Geforce 4
    >>>>MX440/15" XGA 1600x1200) running Knoppix/Debian.
    >>>
    >>>I run both Mandrake 10.1 and Suse 9.2 on one of they. The only
    >>>non-functioning bit is the lid switch. Close the lid and you loose the
    >>>picture for ever...

    >>
    >>there's a problem with the ACPI on a lot of Dell laptops. Best I've
    >>managed to do is disable ACPI in the BIOS then use the lid event to turn
    >>off the backlight. Gives an extra 30 minutes on the battery - which, for
    >>a 6 hour battery on the 840, isn't to be sneezed at.

    >
    >
    > I remain very impressed by the C840 under Suse, but the design is
    > appalling apart from the brilliant screen. close the lid and the keys
    > press on that lovely screen and have permenantly scared the surface. I
    > have had endless problems with the plug-in CD?DVD combo drive, and
    > resting the palms on the case as recommended for RSI avoidance - and as
    > shown in the original Dell flyer - causes the touchpad thingy to
    > generate random cursor movements or inhibit keyboard input till you
    > lift your wrists up. It cost a lot of money and has been nothing but
    > trouble.
    >
    > But Suse/Mandrake/Ubuntu have been no bother at all on it, apart from
    > Suse deferring loading the modem driver until the first time I dialled
    > up!
    >


    ok, this might (or not) seem a bit obvious, but use a sheet of OHP film
    trimmed to size fit over the screen, that'll prevent further damage by
    the keyboard.
    As for the touchpad, that's usually caused by grit. Clean and reseat the
    touchpad (will involve removal of a couple of the case screws!), seal
    with a very thin bead of silicon sealant.
    Which form is the drive? If it's the built-in one, you can replace that
    with a bog standard DVD/CDRW unit for around 85 (or 165 for a
    DVD+/-RW). For a module bay drive, you can again use a standard one and
    pick up a module casing for around 15-30.

    --
    Cheers, http://www.dotware.co.uk
    Jim http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of
    Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking
    becomes a warning, it is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

+ Reply to Thread