athlon 64 + FC4 == SLOW - Portable

This is a discussion on athlon 64 + FC4 == SLOW - Portable ; Hi I am using athlon 64 3400+ (2.4GHz), i got bogomips 4784.12 in /proc/cpuinfo, it is same as my P4 2.4GHz. The problem is, my amd 3400+ run as slow as P4 2.4Ghz on fedora core 4 x86-32 version. why? ...

  1. athlon 64 + FC4 == SLOW

    Hi
    I am using athlon 64 3400+ (2.4GHz), i got bogomips 4784.12 in
    /proc/cpuinfo, it is same as my P4 2.4GHz. The problem is, my amd 3400+

    run as slow as P4 2.4Ghz on fedora core 4 x86-32 version. why?
    You may say my fedora is not 64 bits, so my amd 64bit cpu runs slow,

    but my athlon 64 runs much faster than P4 on my 32 bits windows.

    thanks
    from Peter (cmk128@hotmail.com)

  2. Re: athlon 64 + FC4 == SLOW

    On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 06:17:27 -0700, cmk128 wrote:

    > Hi
    > I am using athlon 64 3400+ (2.4GHz), i got bogomips 4784.12 in
    > /proc/cpuinfo, it is same as my P4 2.4GHz. The problem is, my amd 3400+
    >
    > run as slow as P4 2.4Ghz on fedora core 4 x86-32 version. why?
    > You may say my fedora is not 64 bits, so my amd 64bit cpu runs slow,
    >
    > but my athlon 64 runs much faster than P4 on my 32 bits windows.
    >

    > thanks
    > from Peter (cmk128@hotmail.com)

    What in particular is running slow? I hope you aren't using bogomips as
    your metric, the bogo in bogomips stands for bogus. Bogomips is a simple
    timing loop, it's not meant to be a benchmark. I'm not surprised that a
    2.4GHz P4 and a 2.4GHz A64 have the same bogomips number. Bogomips is just
    a for loop. The branches in a for loop are completely predictable, if you
    do for(i=0;i<1000;i++) and guess that the branch will be taken you'll be
    right 999 out of 1000 times. As a result the deep pipeline that cripples
    the P4 on real programs (where branches are much less predictable) doesn't
    matter. What you've found out is that bogomips is a measure of the clock
    rate, not of the effective instruction rate.

  3. Re: athlon 64 + FC4 == SLOW

    I see, thank you for your answer, but my athlon64 3400+ open a console
    is really slow, i tried many method, including shutdown all the
    unnecessary daemon. But it still run slower than a P4 3.2Ghz computer.
    thanks
    from Peter

  4. Re: athlon 64 + FC4 == SLOW

    On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:26:34 -0700, cmk128 wrote:

    > I see, thank you for your answer, but my athlon64 3400+ open a console
    > is really slow, i tried many method, including shutdown all the
    > unnecessary daemon. But it still run slower than a P4 3.2Ghz computer.
    > thanks
    > from Peter

    How much RAM do you have? Opening any application the first time is a
    function of disk speed, if you have enough RAM the applications are cached
    and opening additional instances is much faster. Opening a terminal under
    Gnome takes less than a second on my 3400+

  5. Re: athlon 64 + FC4 == SLOW

    General Schvantzkoph 寫道:

    > On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:26:34 -0700, cmk128 wrote:
    >
    > > I see, thank you for your answer, but my athlon64 3400+ open a console
    > > is really slow, i tried many method, including shutdown all the
    > > unnecessary daemon. But it still run slower than a P4 3.2Ghz computer.
    > > thanks
    > > from Peter

    > How much RAM do you have? Opening any application the first time is a
    > function of disk speed, if you have enough RAM the applications are cached
    > and opening additional instances is much faster. Opening a terminal under
    > Gnome takes less than a second on my 3400+

    Hi
    I have 1G DDR-400, i open and close gnome terminal many time, but it
    seems doesn't faster next time.
    thanks

  6. Re: athlon 64 + FC4 == SLOW

    Op Sun, 28 Aug 2005 06:17:27 -0700, schreef cmk128 de volgende woorden:

    > Hi
    > I am using athlon 64 3400+ (2.4GHz), i got bogomips 4784.12 in
    > /proc/cpuinfo, it is same as my P4 2.4GHz. The problem is, my amd 3400+
    >
    > run as slow as P4 2.4Ghz on fedora core 4 x86-32 version. why?
    > You may say my fedora is not 64 bits, so my amd 64bit cpu runs slow,
    >
    > but my athlon 64 runs much faster than P4 on my 32 bits windows.
    >

    > thanks
    > from Peter (cmk128@hotmail.com)

    do you have dma enabled on both your hard disks?
    check it with:
    hdparm /dev/hd(a...x)

    and if needed, enable it with:
    hdparm -d1 /dev/hd(a...x)

    Dirk

    --
    Statistics: The (futile) attempt to offer certainty about uncertainty.
    -- Roger Koenker, 'Dictionary of Received Ideas of Statistics'

  7. Re: athlon 64 + FC4 == SLOW

    > Hi
    > I have 1G DDR-400, i open and close gnome terminal many time, but it
    > seems doesn't faster next time.
    > thanks

    1G is certainly enough. How slow is slow? On my systems opening a terminal
    takes less then a second. Run gnome-system-monitor to see if there is some process
    that is eating up your memory or CPU.

+ Reply to Thread