No sound on Toshiba Satellite M40 - Portable

This is a discussion on No sound on Toshiba Satellite M40 - Portable ; I'm trying to set up SuSE 9.3 on a friend's Toshiba Satellite M40, but cannot get sound to work. The volume is turned up in both Yast and KMix, but no sound is produced. Any suggestions as to where to ...

  1. No sound on Toshiba Satellite M40

    I'm trying to set up SuSE 9.3 on a friend's Toshiba Satellite M40, but
    cannot get sound to work. The volume is turned up in both Yast and
    KMix, but no sound is produced. Any suggestions as to where to look?

    tnx jk

  2. Re: No sound on Toshiba Satellite M40

    James Knott wrote:
    > I'm trying to set up SuSE 9.3 on a friend's Toshiba Satellite M40, but
    > cannot get sound to work. The volume is turned up in both Yast and
    > KMix, but no sound is produced. Any suggestions as to where to look?
    >
    > tnx jk

    KDE sound system in Control Centre. That's where I look when configuring
    Knoppix/Debian, YMMV.
    HTH

    --
    Cheers, http://www.dotware.co.uk
    Jim http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    The path to inner peace begins with letting go of everything you are
    afraid to lose.

  3. Re: No sound on Toshiba Satellite M40

    Jim wrote:

    > James Knott wrote:
    >> I'm trying to set up SuSE 9.3 on a friend's Toshiba Satellite M40, but
    >> cannot get sound to work. The volume is turned up in both Yast and
    >> KMix, but no sound is produced. Any suggestions as to where to look?
    >>
    >> tnx jk

    > KDE sound system in Control Centre. That's where I look when configuring
    > Knoppix/Debian, YMMV.
    > HTH

    I tried that, but no go. I also checked KMix for muted inputs and output,
    etc.

  4. Re: No sound on Toshiba Satellite M40

    James Knott wrote:

    > I'm trying to set up SuSE 9.3 on a friend's Toshiba Satellite M40, but
    > cannot get sound to work. The volume is turned up in both Yast and
    > KMix, but no sound is produced. Any suggestions as to where to look?

    Have you tried playing with alsamixer and alsactl?

  5. Re: No sound on Toshiba Satellite M40

    ctw wrote:

    > James Knott wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying to set up SuSE 9.3 on a friend's Toshiba Satellite M40, but
    >> cannot get sound to work. The volume is turned up in both Yast and
    >> KMix, but no sound is produced. Any suggestions as to where to look?

    > Have you tried playing with alsamixer and alsactl?

    No, I haven't tried those. Does alsamixer do anything, that KMix doesn't?

  6. Re: No sound on Toshiba Satellite M40

    James Knott wrote:

    > ctw wrote:
    >
    >> James Knott wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm trying to set up SuSE 9.3 on a friend's Toshiba Satellite M40, but
    >>> cannot get sound to work. The volume is turned up in both Yast and
    >>> KMix, but no sound is produced. Any suggestions as to where to look?

    >> Have you tried playing with alsamixer and alsactl?

    > No, I haven't tried those. Does alsamixer do anything, that KMix doesn't?

    I'm not sure if KMix does the same thing. When I had sound issues in the
    past I read about alsamixer and that did the trick (I had to enable some
    channels which were disabled by default). In KMix, click on "Mixer" and
    make sure volume in all channels is turned up and they are all enabled
    (radio buttons should be on; also click on the "switches" tab and look
    there). If that doesn't work check if alsamixer can do something that KMix
    can't.

    Good luck!

  7. Re: No sound on Toshiba Satellite M40

    ctw wrote:

    > James Knott wrote:
    >
    >> ctw wrote:

    >>> Have you tried playing with alsamixer and alsactl?

    >> No, I haven't tried those. Does alsamixer do anything, that KMix
    >> doesn't?

    > I'm not sure if KMix does the same thing. When I had sound issues in the
    > past I read about alsamixer and that did the trick (I had to enable some
    > channels which were disabled by default). In KMix, click on "Mixer" and
    > make sure volume in all channels is turned up and they are all enabled
    > (radio buttons should be on; also click on the "switches" tab and look
    > there). If that doesn't work check if alsamixer can do something that KMix
    > can't.

    When my friend phoned, I had him try alsamixer and all the relevant levels
    were OK, so that rules that out. I'm not sure where else to look. I've
    checked Yast, the Control Center, KMix, the volume control, the manual
    volume control on the front of the computer etc.

+ Reply to Thread