Dell Latitude L400 - Portable

This is a discussion on Dell Latitude L400 - Portable ; I picked up this pizza-sized subnote a couple of days ago, just because I love my subnotes. I've one tiny problem with it. It has no OS. Has anyone any experience in installing Linux to a notebook with no removable ...

  1. Dell Latitude L400

    I picked up this pizza-sized subnote a couple of days ago, just because
    I love my subnotes. I've one tiny problem with it.
    It has no OS.
    Has anyone any experience in installing Linux to a notebook with no
    removable storage whatsoever? Failing that, any experienced
    recommendation for a distro which I can lob on the HD via another
    machine? FWIW, I've had a go with another drive with an existing
    Knoppix/Debian installation, which puked when it came to starting X.
    I'm thinking Zipslack to get me started, but not having used that for a
    few years, I'm not sure what the usb support would be like so I'd be
    able to juice it up a bit with say, SuSE or whatever.

    Specs:
    700MHz PIIIm
    256MB RAM
    10GB HD
    Texas Instruments TI1410 CardBus controller
    Crystal CS4281 + CS4297A (AC97 CODEC) sound controller
    ATI Mobility M AGP 4MB graphics
    Lucent 1646 V90 modem (not too bothered about this)
    3Com 3C920 10/100-BASETX PCI bus master Ethernet
    Synaptics touchpad
    1x chipset USB port
    1x chipset IRDA port

    Cheers, http://www.dotware.co.uk
    Jim http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    Maybe the Internet has the answers I need. It certainly answered my
    questions about wang enhancement.

  2. Re: Dell Latitude L400

    In article , james@the-computer-
    shop.co.uk says...
    > I picked up this pizza-sized subnote a couple of days ago, just because
    > I love my subnotes. I've one tiny problem with it.
    > It has no OS.
    > Has anyone any experience in installing Linux to a notebook with no
    > removable storage whatsoever? Failing that, any experienced
    > recommendation for a distro which I can lob on the HD via another
    > machine? FWIW, I've had a go with another drive with an existing
    > Knoppix/Debian installation, which puked when it came to starting X.
    > I'm thinking Zipslack to get me started, but not having used that for a
    > few years, I'm not sure what the usb support would be like so I'd be
    > able to juice it up a bit with say, SuSE or whatever.
    >
    > Specs:
    > 700MHz PIIIm
    > 256MB RAM
    > 10GB HD
    > Texas Instruments TI1410 CardBus controller
    > Crystal CS4281 + CS4297A (AC97 CODEC) sound controller
    > ATI Mobility M AGP 4MB graphics
    > Lucent 1646 V90 modem (not too bothered about this)
    > 3Com 3C920 10/100-BASETX PCI bus master Ethernet
    > Synaptics touchpad
    > 1x chipset USB port
    > 1x chipset IRDA port

    Certainly SUSE 9.3 didn't work on mine, and 9.1 Personal gave problems
    with the screen - complained about monitor not returning x and y values.
    Strangely the Live version seemed to work ok.

    I've got Ubuntu on mine at the moment, and it seems relatively happy at
    the moment. I'm just trying to get an el-cheapo wireless card to work in
    ad-hoc mode at the moment.

    FWIW, are you sure about the IRDA port? I can't see one on my L400...

    --
    AG

    Remove removes from address to remove anti-spam measures.
    Alan Gauton E-Mail agauton @ postmaster.co.uk

    Never for me the lowered banner, never the last endeavour!
    (Damon Hill - 16th June 1999)

  3. Re: Dell Latitude L400

    Alan Gauton wrote:
    > In article , james@the-computer-
    > shop.co.uk says...
    >
    >>I picked up this pizza-sized subnote a couple of days ago, just because
    >>I love my subnotes. I've one tiny problem with it.
    >>It has no OS.
    >>Has anyone any experience in installing Linux to a notebook with no
    >>removable storage whatsoever? Failing that, any experienced
    >>recommendation for a distro which I can lob on the HD via another
    >>machine? FWIW, I've had a go with another drive with an existing
    >>Knoppix/Debian installation, which puked when it came to starting X.
    >>I'm thinking Zipslack to get me started, but not having used that for a
    >>few years, I'm not sure what the usb support would be like so I'd be
    >>able to juice it up a bit with say, SuSE or whatever.
    >>
    >>Specs:
    >>700MHz PIIIm
    >>256MB RAM
    >>10GB HD
    >>Texas Instruments TI1410 CardBus controller
    >>Crystal CS4281 + CS4297A (AC97 CODEC) sound controller
    >>ATI Mobility M AGP 4MB graphics
    >>Lucent 1646 V90 modem (not too bothered about this)
    >>3Com 3C920 10/100-BASETX PCI bus master Ethernet
    >>Synaptics touchpad
    >>1x chipset USB port
    >>1x chipset IRDA port

    > Certainly SUSE 9.3 didn't work on mine, and 9.1 Personal gave problems
    > with the screen - complained about monitor not returning x and y values.
    > Strangely the Live version seemed to work ok.

    noted... no suse

    > I've got Ubuntu on mine at the moment, and it seems relatively happy at
    > the moment. I'm just trying to get an el-cheapo wireless card to work in
    > ad-hoc mode at the moment.

    Yeap, I was thinking if anything would work, it'd be a Debian.

    > FWIW, are you sure about the IRDA port? I can't see one on my L400...

    must be on the docking station... just had a look round on this 'un, no
    IR port :\

    --
    Cheers, http://www.dotware.co.uk
    Jim http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    Maybe the Internet has the answers I need. It certainly answered my
    questions about wang enhancement.

  4. Re: Dell Latitude L400

    Jim wrote:

    >> I've got Ubuntu on mine at the moment, and it seems relatively happy at
    >> the moment. I'm just trying to get an el-cheapo wireless card to work in
    >> ad-hoc mode at the moment.

    > Yeap, I was thinking if anything would work, it'd be a Debian.

    You just have to give it a bit of latitude. ;-)

    Actually, a friend of mine just gave up on Debian and switched to SuSE on a
    Toshiba notebook, because he couldn't get the NIC to work, even after
    installing drivers from the manufacturer's web site.

    On the other hand, SuSE just worked fine on install.

  5. Re: Dell Latitude L400

    In article , james.knott@rogers.com
    says...
    > Jim wrote:
    >
    > >> I've got Ubuntu on mine at the moment, and it seems relatively happy at
    > >> the moment. I'm just trying to get an el-cheapo wireless card to work in
    > >> ad-hoc mode at the moment.

    > > Yeap, I was thinking if anything would work, it'd be a Debian.

    > You just have to give it a bit of latitude. ;-)
    >
    > Actually, a friend of mine just gave up on Debian and switched to SuSE on a
    > Toshiba notebook, because he couldn't get the NIC to work, even after
    > installing drivers from the manufacturer's web site.
    >
    > On the other hand, SuSE just worked fine on install.

    Yeah, I know a lot of the purists don't like SuSE but I do, it's just a
    shame it didn't work on my laptop. I use a copy of 9.1 as a development
    machine at work, and it's been running fine for months.

    --
    AG

    Remove removes from address to remove anti-spam measures.
    Alan Gauton E-Mail agauton @ postmaster.co.uk

    Never for me the lowered banner, never the last endeavour!
    (Damon Hill - 16th June 1999)

  6. Re: Dell Latitude L400

    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 07:25:13 +0000, Jim wrote:

    > Has anyone any experience in installing Linux to a notebook with no
    > removable storage whatsoever? Failing that, any experienced

    Yes,

    1. If you can set BIOS to boot from an USB device get a USB cdrom drive

    2. Get an adapter for a 2.5" Laptop harddrive and mount it the drive in a
    desktop system, install linux, and put the harddrive back in the notebook.

    I have tried method #2 on my aging Thinkpad and it worked well, #1 is
    easier but a bit more expensive for a USB CDROM.

  7. Re: Dell Latitude L400

    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 07:25:13 +0000, Jim wrote:

    > recommendation for a distro which I can lob on the HD via another
    > machine? FWIW, I've had a go with another drive with an existing

    Sorry, didn't read that part properly.

    Actually I can't remember which distro I installed but as I am a redhat
    guy I am sure it has been an older Redhat distro (certainly not fedora
    core, too heavy for my old notebook )

    Slackware might be a possiblity too:

    http://www.slackware.com/faq/do_faq....nstallation#11

    You need to install DOS on a (small) partition though, use FreeDOS for
    that:
    http://www.freedos.org/

  8. Re: Dell Latitude L400

    Thomas Jespersen wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 07:25:13 +0000, Jim wrote:
    >

    >>recommendation for a distro which I can lob on the HD via another
    >>machine? FWIW, I've had a go with another drive with an existing

    > Sorry, didn't read that part properly.
    >
    > Actually I can't remember which distro I installed but as I am a redhat
    > guy I am sure it has been an older Redhat distro (certainly not fedora
    > core, too heavy for my old notebook )
    >
    > Slackware might be a possiblity too:
    >
    > http://www.slackware.com/faq/do_faq....nstallation#11
    >
    > You need to install DOS on a (small) partition though, use FreeDOS for
    > that:
    > http://www.freedos.org/

    Good news! I managed to get Debian on it!
    Bad news: single-user Knoppix, which basically means it goes through the
    whole hardware detection thing every boot, and the APM doesn't work.
    Good news: I've got a full featured GUI and all the devices work!

    --
    Cheers, http://www.dotware.co.uk
    Jim http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    Maybe the Internet has the answers I need. It certainly answered my
    questions about wang enhancement.

+ Reply to Thread