Linux on old Toshiba Satellite 320CDS - Portable

This is a discussion on Linux on old Toshiba Satellite 320CDS - Portable ; I'm considering installing Linux on my old Toshiba Satellite 320CDS laptop. I wasn't able to find its page on http://www.linux-laptop.net/ Has anyone successfully installed Linux on this laptop? If so, which distribution do you recommend? It's a Pentium 233 MMX, ...

  1. Linux on old Toshiba Satellite 320CDS

    I'm considering installing Linux on my old Toshiba Satellite 320CDS
    laptop. I wasn't able to find its page on http://www.linux-laptop.net/

    Has anyone successfully installed Linux on this laptop? If so, which
    distribution do you recommend? It's a Pentium 233 MMX, with 96 MB RAM.
    The not-for-Linux device (at least I suspect it) might be Xircom 100/10
    PCMCIA modem+ethernet card.
    Currently it's running Windows 98 with all patches & updates, and last
    time it was running at a "decent speed" it was before any Win98 patches
    were applied.
    Anything else I should be careful about?

  2. Re: Linux on old Toshiba Satellite 320CDS

    In comp.sys.laptops level13@gmail.com wrote:
    : I'm considering installing Linux on my old Toshiba Satellite 320CDS
    : laptop. I wasn't able to find its page on http://www.linux-laptop.net/

    : Has anyone successfully installed Linux on this laptop? If so, which
    : distribution do you recommend? It's a Pentium 233 MMX, with 96 MB RAM.
    : The not-for-Linux device (at least I suspect it) might be Xircom 100/10
    : PCMCIA modem+ethernet card.

    Does it have a CD drive? If so, try burning a CD of Ubuntu "live boot"
    then boot the CD and see how Ubuntu Live works on your computer. At
    96MB it will probably be slow and take a while to boot, but at least
    you can see how the hardware would work. If you find that Ubuntu live
    recognizes all your hardware, then you can install the real thing (a
    different CD image) and it will run a lot faster:

    http://www.ubuntulinux.org

    : Currently it's running Windows 98 with all patches & updates, and last
    : time it was running at a "decent speed" it was before any Win98 patches
    : were applied.

    Can you expand the memory of the laptop beyond 96MB? I wouldn't spend
    much money on it, but you might be lucky to find used RAM.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

  3. Re: Linux on old Toshiba Satellite 320CDS

    level13@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm considering installing Linux on my old Toshiba Satellite 320CDS
    > laptop. I wasn't able to find its page on http://www.linux-laptop.net/
    >
    > Has anyone successfully installed Linux on this laptop? If so, which
    > distribution do you recommend? It's a Pentium 233 MMX, with 96 MB RAM.
    > The not-for-Linux device (at least I suspect it) might be Xircom 100/10
    > PCMCIA modem+ethernet card.
    > Currently it's running Windows 98 with all patches & updates, and last
    > time it was running at a "decent speed" it was before any Win98 patches
    > were applied.
    > Anything else I should be careful about?

    I'm pretty sure I've done SUSE 8.2 on it in the past... but I think I
    just threw out our last one... pretty sure it was the 320CDS though.

  4. Re: Linux on old Toshiba Satellite 320CDS

    No, memory expansion is not possible. I suppose I'll try with Knoppix
    Live CD first since I already have it somewhere. After that, I hear
    Vector Linux should be the right choice for older machines -- or could
    this one be squeezed for more action?

  5. Re: Linux on old Toshiba Satellite 320CDS

    I think I'll go in with Debian. However, should I choose ext2 or ext3
    for its filesystem? Its drive has 4 GB.

  6. Re: Linux on old Toshiba Satellite 320CDS

    level13@gmail.com wrote:
    > I think I'll go in with Debian. However, should I choose ext2 or ext3
    > for its filesystem? Its drive has 4 GB.

    Mine came with 6Gb, but I swapped that for a 20 and installed Mandrake
    10.1. Then I put the 6gB back and set it up with smoothwall, using a
    USB-ethernet converter. I now have Suse 9.2 on it, still being a
    firewall but also being a printer server.

+ Reply to Thread