draining battery with tpctl - Portable

This is a discussion on draining battery with tpctl - Portable ; I got a new battery for my Thinkpad 600E. At first it charged to 99%, then 58%, now just to 22%. Following advice I see on web pages about "battery memory" I keep trying and failing to drain the battery ...

  1. draining battery with tpctl

    I got a new battery for my Thinkpad 600E. At first it charged to 99%,
    then 58%, now just to 22%. Following advice I see on web pages about
    "battery memory" I keep trying and failing to drain the battery because
    it automatically suspends at 1%.

    I'm running debian testing with thinkpad and tpctl packages installed.
    There is no windows partition.

    As root, I tried to disable the automatic suspend:

    tpctl --psb=-
    tpctl --pse=-

    It didn't work. Where do I go from here?

  2. Re: draining battery with tpctl

    I think if you disable APM (or ACPI if you're using it) then the laptop
    will just die when the battery drops below a certain point. But that
    may not help. I have had batteries go down to practically no capacity
    on several Thinkpads (including a 600E) and they all showed 100% or at
    worst, 99% when fully charged. If you're not getting close to that, I
    would suspect the charger instead.

    HTH,
    hank

  3. Re: draining battery with tpctl

    On 11 Aug 2005 23:37:37 -0400, Bruce Lewis
    wrote:

    >I got a new battery for my Thinkpad 600E. At first it charged to 99%,
    >then 58%, now just to 22%. Following advice I see on web pages about
    >"battery memory" I keep trying and failing to drain the battery because
    >it automatically suspends at 1%.
    >
    >I'm running debian testing with thinkpad and tpctl packages installed.
    >There is no windows partition.
    >
    >As root, I tried to disable the automatic suspend:
    >
    >tpctl --psb=-
    >tpctl --pse=-
    >
    >It didn't work. Where do I go from here?

    The BIOS 1% suspend cannot be defeated and such fuel gauge
    readings are indicative of the TP600 series infamously bad packs.
    You can drain to the BIOS limit by just booting into the setup
    screen or by stopping Lilo.. IBM also has a self booting floppy
    checkup utility (Doctor?) that drains the pack as low as the BIOS
    will permit. In any case, don't expect any improvement no
    matter how drained.
    ..
    So called TP600 "new" packs only have new cells at best unless
    old original pack stock in which case the cells are nearly dead
    anyway (Li-ion have limited lives used or not).. The pack
    internal fuel gauge cannot be reset even with new cells. So
    usually the result is erroneous reading albeit full capacity, and
    sometimes undercharging. that cannot be corrected The
    electronics remembers the original cell quality..

    Draining is useful only for packs and cells that are basically in
    good condition but give _minor_ fuel gauge errors. Draining also
    uses up Li-ion capacity and isn't needed for Li-on cells since
    they don't have a memory effect..

    The only way to verify if the pack and not the laptop internal
    charging circuits are the problem is to compare another pack.
    Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread