GRUB menu no more displayed after ACPI resume in SuSE 9.3 - Portable

This is a discussion on GRUB menu no more displayed after ACPI resume in SuSE 9.3 - Portable ; Hi, I have been running a SuSE 9.1 on a HP TC1100 tablet PC. I configured ACPI suspend-to-disk and used it heavily. When I switched on the computer after a suspend, the normal GRUB boot menu was displayed and I ...

  1. GRUB menu no more displayed after ACPI resume in SuSE 9.3

    Hi,

    I have been running a SuSE 9.1 on a HP TC1100 tablet PC. I configured
    ACPI suspend-to-disk and used it heavily. When I switched on the
    computer after a suspend, the normal GRUB boot menu was displayed and I
    was able to select the kernel. When selecting the previous kernel with
    resume option all went well.

    The fine thing was: I have dual boot Linux and Windows installed and
    after suspending Linux I could boot windows, suspend that as well and
    then switch between the suspended systems freely.

    Now I upgraded to SuSE 9.3, and the behavior changed: When switching on
    the computer after a suspend, the GRUB menu is not displayed any more,
    it immediately resumes the suspended Linux. I think, this is meant to be
    an improvement, however, I don't like it and want to disable it 8^).

    The log in /var/log/suspend2disk.log says, it is "preparing boot-loader:
    selecting entry 0". It seems that it modifies or replaces the GRUB menu.

    Has anybody an idea where this behavior can be customed / inhibited?

    Every help is appreciated.

    Gunnar Teege

  2. Re: GRUB menu no more displayed after ACPI resume in SuSE 9.3

    I wrote:
    > I have been running a SuSE 9.1 on a HP TC1100 tablet PC. I configured
    > ACPI suspend-to-disk and used it heavily. When I switched on the
    > computer after a suspend, the normal GRUB boot menu was displayed and I
    > was able to select the kernel. When selecting the previous kernel with
    > resume option all went well.
    >
    > The fine thing was: I have dual boot Linux and Windows installed and
    > after suspending Linux I could boot windows, suspend that as well and
    > then switch between the suspended systems freely.
    >
    > Now I upgraded to SuSE 9.3, and the behavior changed: When switching on
    > the computer after a suspend, the GRUB menu is not displayed any more,
    > it immediately resumes the suspended Linux. I think, this is meant to be
    > an improvement, however, I don't like it and want to disable it 8^).
    >
    > The log in /var/log/suspend2disk.log says, it is "preparing boot-loader:
    > selecting entry 0". It seems that it modifies or replaces the GRUB menu.
    >
    > Has anybody an idea where this behavior can be customed / inhibited?

    Ok, I found it myself. First, I forgot to mention, that I use the
    powersave package. The complete behavior during suspend and resume is
    implemented by scripts in /usr/lib/powersave/scripts. The solution was
    to disable calling the function grub-once in prepare_suspend_to_disk.

    Sorry to have bothered you.

    Gunnar

+ Reply to Thread