Thinkpad IR ppp and Fedora 3 - Portable

This is a discussion on Thinkpad IR ppp and Fedora 3 - Portable ; Hi, since I saw it between two thinkpads on Win2K, I want it on Linux and FreeBSD too. On Win2k, all you have to configure is direct connection with the IR port and if one machines IR sees the other ...

  1. Thinkpad IR ppp and Fedora 3

    Hi, since I saw it between two thinkpads on Win2K, I want it on Linux
    and FreeBSD too. On Win2k, all you have to configure is direct
    connection with the IR port and if one machines IR sees the other
    machines IR you can send files to the other, it is rather fast, really
    usable. IMHO faster than PLIP

    dmesg on FreeBSD shows the IR chip, but I havent seen anything like that
    in the Fedora dmesg.

    Saw some howtos in the net, they are probably outdated, no idea which
    modules are needed etc. Surprised that Thinkpadsa are not better
    supported by Redhat.

    I can do modrobe irnet, but something seems to be missing. What I expect
    is to do ifconfig and to see an interface like eth0, that is usable as
    usual, maybe like plip0 (as it is called on FreeBSD), like

    ifconfig plip0

    and

    ifconfig plip0

    on the other machine.

    As you can see, I have understood nothing....

    Thanks, H.

  2. Re: Thinkpad IR ppp and Fedora 3

    I want to see if I can stream video over such a link.
    Ciscos MPEG4IP mp4live on one machine and DSS on the other.

    IR is obsolete for such tasks maybe, there is WIFI today, but I want to
    see it.

    H.

    > Hi, since I saw it between two thinkpads on Win2K, I want it on Linux
    > and FreeBSD too. On Win2k, all you have to configure is direct
    > connection with the IR port and if one machines IR sees the other
    > machines IR you can send files to the other, it is rather fast, really
    > usable. IMHO faster than PLIP
    >
    > dmesg on FreeBSD shows the IR chip, but I havent seen anything like that
    > in the Fedora dmesg.
    >
    > Saw some howtos in the net, they are probably outdated, no idea which
    > modules are needed etc. Surprised that Thinkpadsa are not better
    > supported by Redhat.
    >
    > I can do modrobe irnet, but something seems to be missing. What I expect
    > is to do ifconfig and to see an interface like eth0, that is usable as
    > usual, maybe like plip0 (as it is called on FreeBSD), like
    >
    > ifconfig plip0
    >
    > and
    >
    > ifconfig plip0
    >
    > on the other machine.
    >

    > As you can see, I have understood nothing....
    >
    > Thanks, H.

+ Reply to Thread