hp nw8000 and SuSE 9.3 pro - headphones not working - Portable

This is a discussion on hp nw8000 and SuSE 9.3 pro - headphones not working - Portable ; Hi folks, the hp compaq nw8000 notebook has 3 buttons on the front panel for sound volume and mute, that only work with a special driver in Windows. I could live without these buttons working under Linux, but what's inacceptable, ...

  1. hp nw8000 and SuSE 9.3 pro - headphones not working

    Hi folks,

    the hp compaq nw8000 notebook has 3 buttons on the front panel
    for sound volume and mute, that only work with a special driver
    in Windows. I could live without these buttons working under
    Linux, but what's inacceptable, is that even whether the head-
    phone/line out cable is plugged in, is apparently also detected
    only by software. Thanks hp! *sigh* So when I plug in my headphones,
    the sound still comes out of the speakers and the headphones remain
    silent. Under Windows, there's a noticeable delay between plugging
    in the phones and switching the sound over from speakers to headphone,
    so this seems to be a software function.
    Has anybody around here an idea on how i could get the headphones
    working under Linux?

    TIA,
    Thomas

  2. Re: hp nw8000 and SuSE 9.3 pro - headphones not working

    Thomas Ginko wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > the hp compaq nw8000 notebook has 3 buttons on the front panel
    > for sound volume and mute, that only work with a special driver
    > in Windows. I could live without these buttons working under
    > Linux, but what's inacceptable, is that even whether the head-
    > phone/line out cable is plugged in, is apparently also detected
    > only by software. Thanks hp! *sigh* So when I plug in my headphones,
    > the sound still comes out of the speakers and the headphones remain
    > silent. Under Windows, there's a noticeable delay between plugging
    > in the phones and switching the sound over from speakers to headphone,
    > so this seems to be a software function.
    > Has anybody around here an idea on how i could get the headphones
    > working under Linux?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Thomas

    only come across this on my Dells, and the short answer is: I don't
    know. Other than that on my Dells (Latitude C840, C400 and Inspiron
    4100), the headphones kill the speakers on insertion (and yes there is a
    delay, tho until now I'd never have attributed it to software!). Some
    ACPI function, perhaps?

    --
    Cheers, http://www.dotware.co.uk
    Jim http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    Maybe the Internet has the answers I need. It certainly answered my
    questions about wang enhancement.

+ Reply to Thread