Linux PDA recommendation needed - Portable

This is a discussion on Linux PDA recommendation needed - Portable ; I'm looking for PDA capable of running Linux - need it to run ssh and other server management tools... besides I just hate M$. Which one of the current crop of PDAs with WiFi, Bluetooth, serial port and decent-sized touchscreen ...

  1. Linux PDA recommendation needed

    I'm looking for PDA capable of running Linux - need it to run ssh and other
    server management tools... besides I just hate M$. Which one of the current
    crop of PDAs with WiFi, Bluetooth, serial port and decent-sized touchscreen
    can run Linux? I've searched around, and seems like Linux ports run on older
    PDAs that are either out of production or lack WiFi/BT.

    Peter

  2. Re: Linux PDA recommendation needed

    Peter wrote:

    > I'm looking for PDA capable of running Linux - need it to run ssh and
    > other server management tools... besides I just hate M$. Which one of the
    > current crop of PDAs with WiFi, Bluetooth, serial port and decent-sized
    > touchscreen can run Linux? I've searched around, and seems like Linux
    > ports run on older PDAs that are either out of production or lack WiFi/BT.
    >
    > Peter

    Peter,

    You might try googling IPAQ with Linux.

    --
    Rgds,

    Elwood

  3. Re: Linux PDA recommendation needed

    Peter wrote:
    > I'm looking for PDA capable of running Linux - need it to run ssh and other
    > server management tools... besides I just hate M$. Which one of the current
    > crop of PDAs with WiFi, Bluetooth, serial port and decent-sized touchscreen
    > can run Linux? I've searched around, and seems like Linux ports run on older
    > PDAs that are either out of production or lack WiFi/BT.

    I feel exactly the same, but got my fingers badly burned with a Qmate
    Yopy. Superficialy attractive and well spec'd - I wanted rs232 as well
    as usb - it was oversold and unfinished. The bundled software did not
    work properly and geting the toolchain to compile linux code was a
    nightmare. Oh, and the serial port was TTL only!

    I am currently considering the Archos PMA400 because it can be a USB
    master as well as slave, thus allowing the use of external adaptors.
    But the reviews are mixed, some of the more objective saying that the
    supplied PIM is sketchy at best and the linux environment too securely
    hidden.

    Sharp Zarus machines are widely available, but there seem to be too
    many compromises there too.

    http://www.handhelds.org is worth a visit, but most of the ports to
    PDAs seem to be barely finished. This is a hobby activity and ports
    are rarely available for the most up-to-date hardware.
    http://www.linuxdevices.com is massively over-optimistic. Most of the
    devices on it never saw the light of day, or burned brightly and
    briefly.

    The big manufacturers are not interested in Linux, and the small one
    struggle to find market share, or even representation. You might want
    to look at:
    http://www.invair.de/html/filewalker_technical1.html

    A device called the Olympus R1018 has been reviewed, but no
    manufacturer web site appears to exist.

    You might want to go to one of the industrial handheld companies, but
    M$ seems to have most of them stiched up now.

+ Reply to Thread