acpi-tool -s (=S3) ==> sleep + hard death - Portable

This is a discussion on acpi-tool -s (=S3) ==> sleep + hard death - Portable ; I am using gentoo, with the latest vanilla linux kernel on a gateway 3018gz notebook (current celeron m), and I am having weird acpi trouble. has anyone else encountered the following? acpi seems to be working while linux is awake. ...

  1. acpi-tool -s (=S3) ==> sleep + hard death

    I am using gentoo, with the latest vanilla linux kernel on a gateway
    3018gz notebook (current celeron m), and I am having weird acpi
    trouble. has anyone else encountered the following?

    acpi seems to be working while linux is awake. but after I put the
    computer to acpi sleep (acpitool -s, i.e., S3), nothing but a hard
    reset will restart anything. (an S4 acpi sleep gives some messages,
    keeps the screen on, and similarly requires a hard reboot.)

    it is probably a linux acpi put-to-sleep-incorrectly problem. it is
    probably not a linux acpi wakeup problem, because the entire computer
    does not want to reawaken, and at this point, I presume the hardware
    [not linux] is in command.

    any workarounds or similar experiences?

    sincerely,

    /iaw

  2. Re: acpi-tool -s (=S3) ==> sleep + hard death

    In comp.os.linux.portable ivowel@gmail.com wrote:

    > I am using gentoo, with the latest vanilla linux kernel on a gateway
    > 3018gz notebook (current celeron m), and I am having weird acpi
    > trouble. has anyone else encountered the following?

    > acpi seems to be working while linux is awake. but after I put the
    > computer to acpi sleep (acpitool -s, i.e., S3), nothing but a hard
    > reset will restart anything. (an S4 acpi sleep gives some messages,
    > keeps the screen on, and similarly requires a hard reboot.)

    I've never gotten S3 to work, I get a reboot instead of a resume.
    S4 works in conjunction with suspend to disk (swsusp, not swsusp2
    although the latter is now available in gentoo) but I usually do
    a complete poweroff.

    --
    pa at panix dot com

+ Reply to Thread