looking for a slow laptop with lots of pixels in 15" - Portable

This is a discussion on looking for a slow laptop with lots of pixels in 15" - Portable ; Has anyone come across a laptop with the odd combo of being lowend (slow CPU, slow disk, etc), except for having a display with lots of pixels? I could live with a 4200RPM disk and a 1.3Mhz Pentium M, but ...

  1. looking for a slow laptop with lots of pixels in 15"

    Has anyone come across a laptop with the odd combo of
    being lowend (slow CPU, slow disk, etc), except for having
    a display with lots of pixels? I could live with a 4200RPM
    disk and a 1.3Mhz Pentium M, but even the 1280x800 "Widescreen"
    LCDs don't have enough pixels for me.

    I'm after 1280x1024 or 1400x1050 on a 15" display. 17" isn't
    portable enough for what I want to do, and higher resolutions
    than that make the pixels too small for me to see. :-)

    There are a bunch of ThinkPads with the number of pixels
    I want, but they're expensive and I'm cheap. :-)

    I've even gone so far as to search for a old, used high-end
    box (like a PIII) with a good screen, but no luck.

    Anyone have any pointers?

    Duke

  2. Re: looking for a slow laptop with lots of pixels in 15"

    Dale Dellutri wrote:

    > > I'm after 1280x1024 or 1400x1050 on a 15" display. 17" isn't
    > > portable enough for what I want to do, and higher resolutions
    > > than that make the pixels too small for me to see. :-)

    > > There are a bunch of ThinkPads with the number of pixels
    > > I want, but they're expensive and I'm cheap. :-)

    > Try Dell Financial Services:
    > http://www.dfsdirectsales.com/dfsdirect/

    > The C810's are PIII, 800 - 1300 MHz, most have 15" screens with SXGA
    > (1400x1050) or UXGA (1600x1200) resolution. You'll need to follow the
    > instructions for how to "view remaining warranty" using the product ID
    > (service tag), then look at original configuration, then scroll down
    > to the LCD panel type. (It's a rare C810 that has XGA (1280x1024)
    > resolution.)

    Those look pretty good. I'd also look at refurbished Thinkpads, like
    the A22m (1400x1050). They seem to have roughly the same price range.

    -- Dave

  3. Re: looking for a slow laptop with lots of pixels in 15"

    Duke Robillard wrote:
    > Has anyone come across a laptop with the odd combo of
    > being lowend (slow CPU, slow disk, etc), except for having
    > a display with lots of pixels? I could live with a 4200RPM
    > disk and a 1.3Mhz Pentium M, but even the 1280x800 "Widescreen"
    > LCDs don't have enough pixels for me.
    >
    > I'm after 1280x1024 or 1400x1050 on a 15" display. 17" isn't
    > portable enough for what I want to do, and higher resolutions
    > than that make the pixels too small for me to see. :-)
    >
    > There are a bunch of ThinkPads with the number of pixels
    > I want, but they're expensive and I'm cheap. :-)
    >
    > I've even gone so far as to search for a old, used high-end
    > box (like a PIII) with a good screen, but no luck.
    >
    > Anyone have any pointers?
    >
    > Duke

    Dell Latitude C640 1.6GHz P4m GF4 MX440 mobile graphics, 15"@1600x1200,
    around 600 Euro for a secondhand, done-up-to-the-eyeballs system. Mine's
    got a gig of RAM, a DVD/CDRW, three batteries and a 40GB HD, cost me
    GBŁ610, and that was six months ago. Hasn't put a foot wrong.

    --
    Cheers, http://www.dotware.co.uk
    Jim http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    Are more people violently opposed to wearing fur than leather because
    it's easier to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs?

  4. Re: looking for a slow laptop with lots of pixels in 15"

    Duke Robillard writes:
    > I've even gone so far as to search for a old, used high-end
    > box (like a PIII) with a good screen, but no luck.

    You can probably find an old a20p (1400x1050, 15") pretty cheap.

  5. Re: looking for a slow laptop with lots of pixels in 15"

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > Duke Robillard writes:
    >
    >>I've even gone so far as to search for a old, used high-end
    >>box (like a PIII) with a good screen, but no luck.

    > You can probably find an old a20p (1400x1050, 15") pretty cheap.

    also: Dell Inspiron 4100 (PIII, 1GHz) with 14.1", 1400x1050 UXGA) can be
    had for UKŁ100 if you know where to look (hint: not in a newspaper)

    --
    Cheers, http://www.dotware.co.uk
    Jim http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    Are more people violently opposed to wearing fur than leather because
    it's easier to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs?

  6. Re: looking for a slow laptop with lots of pixels in 15"

    Thanks for the pointers everyone!

    > Why do you want a slow machine?

    'Cause I'm cheap. :-)

    Duke

  7. Re: looking for a slow laptop with lots of pixels in 15"

    Duke Robillard wrote:

    > Thanks for the pointers everyone!
    >
    >> Why do you want a slow machine?

    > 'Cause I'm cheap. :-)
    >
    > Duke

    or cos you realised you don't need a 3GHz word processor?

    --
    Cheers, http://www.dotware.co.uk
    Jim http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    Are more people violently opposed to wearing fur than leather because
    it's easier to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs?

+ Reply to Thread