notebook (Amilo M 1425) freeze after latest suse update - Portable

This is a discussion on notebook (Amilo M 1425) freeze after latest suse update - Portable ; Hi All, Yesterday I installed Suse9.1 pro on my Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M1425 notebook and everything worked fine (apart from the boot/grub problem due to different HD geometry in 2.6 kernel). Subsequently I updated my system online (through Yast) and ...

  1. notebook (Amilo M 1425) freeze after latest suse update

    Hi All,

    Yesterday I installed Suse9.1 pro on my Fujitsu Siemens
    Amilo M1425 notebook and everything worked fine (apart from the
    boot/grub problem due to different HD geometry in 2.6 kernel).

    Subsequently I updated my system online (through Yast) and
    let Yast install all suggested patches (including a new Linux kernel).
    Since then my notebook (boots in text mode) and freezes at startup just
    before the graphical login. My scroll lock and caps lock LEDs are blinking
    infinitely and the system is totally freezed.

    I'm not aware of any reset button on the Amilo so I disconnected
    the battery and tried the rescue system, I checked the usual log files
    but could not find any linux kernel panic log or anything the like.

    Btw. the "safe install/boot" option (from Suse9.1Pro DVD) also fails
    to boot, in this case the HardDisk LED stays on infinitely and the system
    freezes starting the kernel (this happened while checking the filesystem).

    I have yet to try booting with "noapic" and/or "acpi=off" and/or "pci=noacpi",
    in the meantime I was wondering if anybody knows exactly what's going on ?
    Is this likely to be a apm/acpi problem ? or is something else going on ?

    Thanks in advance for any comment/responses.

    --
    NvBolhuis

  2. Re: notebook (Amilo M 1425) freeze after latest suse update

    Norbert van Bolhuis wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Yesterday I installed Suse9.1 pro on my Fujitsu Siemens
    > Amilo M1425 notebook and everything worked fine (apart from the
    > boot/grub problem due to different HD geometry in 2.6 kernel).
    >
    > Subsequently I updated my system online (through Yast) and
    > let Yast install all suggested patches (including a new Linux kernel).
    > Since then my notebook (boots in text mode) and freezes at startup just
    > before the graphical login. My scroll lock and caps lock LEDs are blinking
    > infinitely and the system is totally freezed.
    >
    > I'm not aware of any reset button on the Amilo so I disconnected
    > the battery and tried the rescue system, I checked the usual log files
    > but could not find any linux kernel panic log or anything the like.
    >
    > Btw. the "safe install/boot" option (from Suse9.1Pro DVD) also fails
    > to boot, in this case the HardDisk LED stays on infinitely and the system
    > freezes starting the kernel (this happened while checking the filesystem).
    >
    > I have yet to try booting with "noapic" and/or "acpi=off" and/or
    > "pci=noacpi",
    > in the meantime I was wondering if anybody knows exactly what's going on ?
    > Is this likely to be a apm/acpi problem ? or is something else going on ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any comment/responses.

    All I can think of is boot the SUSE Linux 9.1 system into run level 3
    (by supplying "3" as command line argument on the boot prompt), then log
    in as root and run the text mode version of the YaST Online Update.

    ("yast online_update")

    This will download and install (after a few option passes) the latest
    greatest kernel. Failing that, boot a previous (known good) kernel image
    either from the system CD or borrow a friend's and make it default.

    On saying that, I am aware that the notebook in question has an ATI 9700
    graphic chip onboard (seen a few). Linux+ATI=trouble. Might want to
    consider *BSD instead?

    HTH, HAND

    --
    Cheers, http://www.dotware.co.uk
    Jim http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    Are more people violently opposed to wearing fur than leather because
    it's easier to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs?

+ Reply to Thread