X21 "mouse" button - Portable

This is a discussion on X21 "mouse" button - Portable ; well, I have finally worn out my left "mouse" button on my Thinkpad X21. Removing the keyboard is easy from this notebook. However, I wonder if anyone has successfully fixed the button on this particular kbd. It didn't look like ...

  1. X21 "mouse" button

    well, I have finally worn out my left "mouse" button on my Thinkpad
    X21. Removing the keyboard is easy from this notebook. However, I
    wonder if anyone has successfully fixed the button on this particular
    kbd. It didn't look like the button assembly comes apart really
    easily. It's looks like it has been press fit into the metal base
    plate of the keybaord. Should I just plan on replacing the keyboard
    with a spare part from Ebay in order to fix this ?

    Thanks, -ingo
    --
    /* Ingo Cyliax, cyliax@ezcomm.com, Tel: 812-391-0895 */

  2. Re: X21 "mouse" button

    Hi,

    On 2005-07-12, Ingo Cyliax wrote:

    > well, I have finally worn out my left "mouse" button on my Thinkpad
    > X21. Removing the keyboard is easy from this notebook. However, I
    > wonder if anyone has successfully fixed the button on this particular
    > kbd. It didn't look like the button assembly comes apart really
    > easily. It's looks like it has been press fit into the metal base
    > plate of the keybaord. Should I just plan on replacing the keyboard
    > with a spare part from Ebay in order to fix this ?

    Bah, and you forgot the other reason you purchased a Thinkpad

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...id=MIGR-4UZMN7

    IBM make them available for _all_ their laptops.

    Cheers

    Alex

    > Thanks, -ingo

  3. Re: X21 "mouse" button

    In article <11d8k422ds0lk2f@corp.supernews.com>,
    Alexander Clouter wrote:
    >Bah, and you forgot the other reason you purchased a Thinkpad

    >http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...id=MIGR-4UZMN7
    >
    >IBM make them available for _all_ their laptops.

    thanks. I have looked at the maintenance manual and they identify the
    part down to the keyboard FRU, but don't discuss how to do anything
    specifically with the button sub assembly. I.e. the keyboard/mouse
    button is meant to be swapped out if there is a problem.

    I was wondering if anyone had attempted to fix the actual buttons on
    the kayboard for this series of thinkpads. Other than that, I have the
    part number and already identified second hand sources to get one, if
    it's not fixable.

    Later, -ingo
    --
    /* Ingo Cyliax, cyliax@ezcomm.com, Tel: 812-391-0895 */