Battery Status on Dell I.2650 (con't) - Portable

This is a discussion on Battery Status on Dell I.2650 (con't) - Portable ; Philippe wrote: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Has anyone succeeded to get battery status of Dell Inspiron 2650? Apm gives me always "AC on-lines". > cat /proc/apm 1.14 1.2 0x03 0x01 0xff 0x80 -1% -1 ? Because apm was not working I've tried with ...

  1. Battery Status on Dell I.2650 (con't)

    Philippe wrote:

    Has anyone succeeded to get battery status of Dell Inspiron 2650?

    Apm gives me always "AC on-lines".
    > cat /proc/apm

    1.14 1.2 0x03 0x01 0xff 0x80 -1% -1 ?

    Because apm was not working I've tried with acpi. I've compiled kernel
    2.4.19 with apci20020918 patch. When apci is on (with apm off), the
    kernel fails to boot: machine reboots at kernel loading. If acpi is
    swithed off (acpi=off option), then this newly compiled kernel boots
    without any problem.

    The version of my Bios is A05.

    Philippe.

    philippe,
    have you managed to get this issues resolved ??? i'm having very
    similar problems with my Compaq Presario 900US laptop. The cat
    line from the apm file looks almost identical. system also will
    not boot with acpi enabled.
    any assistance would greatly be appreciated.
    g-mo

    p.s. had to start a new topic because "reply-to-author" link
    was malfunctioning.

  2. Re: Battery Status on Dell I.2650 (con't)

    geronimo wrote:
    > Philippe wrote:
    >
    > Has anyone succeeded to get battery status of Dell Inspiron 2650?
    >

    > Apm gives me always "AC on-lines".
    > > cat /proc/apm

    > 1.14 1.2 0x03 0x01 0xff 0x80 -1% -1 ?
    >

    > Because apm was not working I've tried with acpi. I've compiled kernel
    > 2.4.19 with apci20020918 patch. When apci is on (with apm off), the
    > kernel fails to boot: machine reboots at kernel loading. If acpi is
    > swithed off (acpi=off option), then this newly compiled kernel boots
    > without any problem.
    >

    > The version of my Bios is A05.
    >

    > Philippe.
    >

    > philippe,
    > have you managed to get this issues resolved ??? i'm having very
    > similar problems with my Compaq Presario 900US laptop. The cat
    > line from the apm file looks almost identical. system also will
    > not boot with acpi enabled.
    > any assistance would greatly be appreciated.
    > g-mo
    >
    > p.s. had to start a new topic because "reply-to-author" link
    > was malfunctioning.

    Phoenix A05 has been a problem BIOS for me as well. I've pretty much
    given up on ACPI/APM on that BIOS and ended up setting power control
    manually.

    --
    Cheers, http://www.dotware.co.uk
    Jim http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    Are more people violently opposed to wearing fur than leather because
    it's easier to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs?

  3. Re: Battery Status on Dell I.2650 (con't)

    ok jim ... how is this 'manual power management' done ?? i've read on
    some
    of the groups about writing 'apmcontinue' scripts ?? or have you
    abandoned
    this process as well ?? i'm also assuming you have a laptop/notebook
    computer ??

  4. Re: Battery Status on Dell I.2650 (con't)

    geronimo wrote:
    > ok jim ... how is this 'manual power management' done ?? i've read on
    > some
    > of the groups about writing 'apmcontinue' scripts ?? or have you
    > abandoned
    > this process as well ?? i'm also assuming you have a laptop/notebook
    > computer ??

    yup, basically it's just event management on lid closure and timings, ie
    HD/display/suspend timeouts. It's all in the howtos and it's all pretty
    succinctly explained in there. Manually setting such features is as easy
    as running something like hdparm, which is a Linux IDE disk utility that
    lets you set spin-down timeouts and other disk parameters. It works also
    for some SCSI features.

    For a walkthrough with script examples, check out
    http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/...wto-about.html
    otherwise your favourite distribution will have specific examples of
    power management settings.

    Also consider jumping into BIOS settings to disable things like IRDA,
    parallel, PCMCIA, 1394 or other unused ports (pretty much the only ports
    I use on this laptop are the two usb and one PCMCIA port, so every other
    port is disabled - increasing battery uptime by almost 30%). Most power
    management starts in the BIOS and being basically Jewish about what
    runs, daemon-wise and app wise, on the machine. Big plus of that is
    you're not waiting on spare cycles to get done what you need to get done.

    --
    Cheers, http://www.dotware.co.uk
    Jim http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    Are more people violently opposed to wearing fur than leather because
    it's easier to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs?

+ Reply to Thread