Running Linux on my Nokia 9290 Communicator Phone - Portable

This is a discussion on Running Linux on my Nokia 9290 Communicator Phone - Portable ; I am running a version of ELKS which is a distro that boots off of 2 floppies; a boot and a root disk. I am able to boot into ELKS using my Nokia 9290 with images of these floppies and ...

  1. Running Linux on my Nokia 9290 Communicator Phone

    I am running a version of ELKS which is a distro that boots off of 2
    floppies; a boot and a root disk. I am able to boot into ELKS using my
    Nokia 9290 with images of these floppies and an 80186 emulator. The
    problem I'm having is this will make the root Linux dive a read only
    RAM drive. I should be able to use the boot disk to load the Linux root
    off of a fixed disk. Is there any support available for EPOC32 file
    system in Linux? Or preferably, is it possible to repartition my flash
    card to Linux ext2 file system, or any other supported file system
    using p3nfs? I am by no means an expert, and I found 0 documentation on
    any of this. I don't even know where to start. If any one else out
    there is experimenting with this, please share! THANKS! ...aaron

  2. Re: Running Linux on my Nokia 9290 Communicator Phone

    True, but ELKS also has the abillity to compile in
    programs/devcies/kernel mods. Is it possible to compile in kernel
    support for if a 128 mb MultiMedia Card so I can load a larger more
    robust linux? The emulator I use only supports the 80186. However, due
    to the open SDK, I would imagine you could emulate just about anything.
    Unfortunatly I am a novice programmer. Nokia would not release any
    specs on the native CPU to me but it clocks around 100 MHZ or so. I
    dont know if this helps but the emulator was written to run DOS and
    loads the drive with a command like DEVICE=EPOCFS.SYS c:\ in the
    CONFIG.SYS file. EPOCFS.SYS is a binnary made for XTM (the emulator)
    XTM is not open source or very well supported.

    http://www.nb-info.co.uk/

    Much Thanks!
    ....aaron

+ Reply to Thread