toshiba satellite ethernet linux - Portable

This is a discussion on toshiba satellite ethernet linux - Portable ; hello, I got a laptop toshiba satellite 1700-300 . I installed debian GNU/linux sarge and put the kernel 2.6.12.2 my problem is i can't see the ethernet card in lspci and i didn't find any clue in google about which ...

  1. toshiba satellite ethernet linux

    hello,

    I got a laptop toshiba satellite 1700-300 .

    I installed debian GNU/linux sarge and put the kernel 2.6.12.2

    my problem is i can't see the ethernet card in lspci and i didn't find
    any clue in google about which module i should put in my kernel in order
    to make the ethernet card work.

    i also read on a group that some of toshiba satellite laptop don't really
    have a ethernet card inside, but only show the "plug"... i don't think
    it is my situation because on windows, the card is recognized in "SYSTEM"
    but it doesn't give me any card name / driver.
    the windows driver is named : Accton EN1207F Series PCI Fast Ethernet
    Adapter (from toshiba internet site)

    i paste you my "lspci" if it could help.

    if somebody would know a way to make this ethernet card be recognize
    by my system... thanks a lot

    0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge
    (rev 03)
    0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP bridge
    (rev 03)
    0000:00:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1420
    0000:00:04.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1420
    0000:00:07.0 Bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
    0000:00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
    0000:00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
    0000:00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 03)
    0000:00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic Crystal CS4281 PCI Audio
    (rev 01)
    0000:00:10.0 Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics LT WinModem
    0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility P/M
    AGP 2x (rev 64)

  2. Re: toshiba satellite ethernet linux

    In , actarus wrote:

    > hello,
    >
    > I got a laptop toshiba satellite 1700-300 .
    >
    > I installed debian GNU/linux sarge and put the kernel 2.6.12.2
    >
    > my problem is i can't see the ethernet card in lspci and i didn't find
    > any clue in google about which module i should put in my kernel in order
    > to make the ethernet card work.
    >
    > i also read on a group that some of toshiba satellite laptop don't
    > really have a ethernet card inside, but only show the "plug"... i don't
    > think it is my situation because on windows, the card is recognized in
    > "SYSTEM" but it doesn't give me any card name / driver. the windows
    > driver is named : Accton EN1207F Series PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (from
    > toshiba internet site)

    A quick google search suggests that the EN1207F (and the mini-PCI version
    called the EN2242, which is probably what it actually is) use a Tulip
    clone chipset, so the driver to use is 'tulip'. You might try loading the
    'tulip' module and seeing if that works.

    If that doesn't work the problem is probably related to the adapter not
    showing up in the lspci output. You might check in the BIOS to see if it
    is disabled by default. Enabling PnPBIOS or ACPI (but not both at the
    same time!) support in the kernel might also help, if the problem is that
    it is not getting assigned some resources it needs.

    --
    Not to have been a dupe, that will have been my best possesion, my best
    deed, to have been a dupe, wishing I wasn't, thinking I wasn't, knowing

+ Reply to Thread