AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled - Portable

This is a discussion on AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled - Portable ; I've been researching my next laptop purchase, and whether it will run Linux, and completely accidentally stumbled upon an alarming issue that people need to be more aware about. Apparently (and if my understanding is correct), HP/Compaq disables dual-channel memory ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

  1. AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    I've been researching my next laptop purchase, and whether it will run
    Linux, and completely accidentally stumbled upon an alarming issue that
    people need to be more aware about.

    Apparently (and if my understanding is correct), HP/Compaq disables
    dual-channel memory access in Socket 939 motherboards, making CPU <-> RAM
    communication slower, and overall performance less than what people would
    expect when buying a system with the outward characteristics of what they
    think they are getting.

    http://zv6000forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=148

  2. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    "alex goldman" wrote in message
    > I've been researching my next laptop purchase, and whether it will run
    > Linux, and completely accidentally stumbled upon an alarming issue that
    > people need to be more aware about.
    >
    > Apparently (and if my understanding is correct), HP/Compaq disables
    > dual-channel memory access in Socket 939 motherboards, making CPU <-> RAM
    > communication slower, and overall performance less than what people would
    > expect when buying a system with the outward characteristics of what they
    > think they are getting.
    >
    > http://zv6000forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=148

    Since they are shipping with DDR and not DDr2, what would be the purpose of
    enabling the dual channel?

    Have you been to the AMD website and reviewed their white papers for the
    AMD64 platform, and why they do *NOT* recommend DDR2 RAM?

    There is no perceivable increase in performance with DDR2 over DDR in a 64
    bit platform.
    The margin of difference is so small as to be insignificant.

    You should probably review the benefits of the AMD64 platform
    (hypertransport, on board memory controller, etc), that give the platform
    it's speed.

    Bobby

  3. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    "NoNoBadDog!" wrote

    > Since they are shipping with DDR and not DDr2, what would be the purpose
    > of enabling the dual channel?

    My dual channel AMD gets a bit less than twice the memory speed in memtest86
    when running dual channel.

    No AMD runs DDR2.

    Why they would disable dual channel I don't know. Since they can completely
    configure the pc with compatible memory, it doesn't make sense, unless they
    randomly throw whatever cheap memory they can find into it. Then it figures.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  4. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    "NoNoBadDog!" wrote in message

    > "alex goldman" wrote in message
    >> I've been researching my next laptop purchase, and whether it will run
    >> Linux, and completely accidentally stumbled upon an alarming issue that
    >> people need to be more aware about.
    >>
    >> Apparently (and if my understanding is correct), HP/Compaq disables
    >> dual-channel memory access in Socket 939 motherboards, making CPU <-> RAM
    >> communication slower, and overall performance less than what people would
    >> expect when buying a system with the outward characteristics of what they
    >> think they are getting.
    >>
    >> http://zv6000forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=148

    > Since they are shipping with DDR and not DDr2, what would be the purpose
    > of enabling the dual channel?

    Dual channel works with plain DDR

  5. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    NoNoBadDog! wrote:

    > "alex goldman" wrote in message
    >> I've been researching my next laptop purchase, and whether it will run
    >> Linux, and completely accidentally stumbled upon an alarming issue that
    >> people need to be more aware about.
    >>
    >> Apparently (and if my understanding is correct), HP/Compaq disables
    >> dual-channel memory access in Socket 939 motherboards, making CPU <-> RAM
    >> communication slower, and overall performance less than what people would
    >> expect when buying a system with the outward characteristics of what they
    >> think they are getting.
    >>
    >> http://zv6000forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=148

    > Since they are shipping with DDR and not DDr2, what would be the purpose
    > of enabling the dual channel?

    It would appear you are asking a question here, showing your confusion of
    "dual channel" and DDR2, but then (below) you tell me to read AMD "white
    papers", as if you have. Why would you do that?

    > Have you been to the AMD website and reviewed their white papers for the
    > AMD64 platform, and why they do *NOT* recommend DDR2 RAM?
    >
    > There is no perceivable increase in performance with DDR2 over DDR in a 64
    > bit platform.
    > The margin of difference is so small as to be insignificant.
    >
    > You should probably review the benefits of the AMD64 platform
    > (hypertransport, on board memory controller, etc), that give the platform
    > it's speed.
    >
    > Bobby

  6. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 20:46:58 -0700, alex goldman wrote:

    >I've been researching my next laptop purchase, and whether it will run
    >Linux, and completely accidentally stumbled upon an alarming issue that
    >people need to be more aware about.
    >
    >Apparently (and if my understanding is correct), HP/Compaq disables
    >dual-channel memory access in Socket 939 motherboards, making CPU <-> RAM
    >communication slower, and overall performance less than what people would
    >expect when buying a system with the outward characteristics of what they
    >think they are getting.
    >
    >http://zv6000forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=148

    The laptops use the Turion chip. According to AMD, the Turion's
    integrated memory controller can use PC1600, PC2100, PC2700 or PC3200
    unbuffered DDR SO-DIMMs and has a maximum throughput of 3.2 GB/s.

    So, explain to me what engineering in dual channel support is going to
    buy you. BTW, does any vendor manufacture dual channel compatible
    SO-DIMMs?

  7. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    Robert Klute wrote:

    > On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 20:46:58 -0700, alex goldman wrote:
    >
    >>I've been researching my next laptop purchase, and whether it will run
    >>Linux, and completely accidentally stumbled upon an alarming issue that
    >>people need to be more aware about.
    >>
    >>Apparently (and if my understanding is correct), HP/Compaq disables
    >>dual-channel memory access in Socket 939 motherboards, making CPU <-> RAM
    >>communication slower, and overall performance less than what people would
    >>expect when buying a system with the outward characteristics of what they
    >>think they are getting.
    >>
    >>http://zv6000forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=148

    > The laptops use the Turion chip.

    Wrong. _Some_ of the laptops use the Turion chip (quite few as of this
    writing, actually).

    Regardless ...

    > According to AMD, the Turion's
    > integrated memory controller can use PC1600, PC2100, PC2700 or PC3200
    > unbuffered DDR SO-DIMMs and has a maximum throughput of 3.2 GB/s.

    Do you understand how dual-channel access works? You have 3.2 GB/s per
    memory module, i.e. up to 6.4 GB/s. Dual-channel access is more, not less,
    important when slow memory is used.

    > So, explain to me what engineering in dual channel support is going to
    > buy you. BTW, does any vendor manufacture dual channel compatible
    > SO-DIMMs?

    There is something you have in common with the NoNoBadDog

  8. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 23:19:07 -0700, alex goldman wrote:

    >Robert Klute wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 20:46:58 -0700, alex goldman wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've been researching my next laptop purchase, and whether it will run
    >>>Linux, and completely accidentally stumbled upon an alarming issue that
    >>>people need to be more aware about.
    >>>
    >>>Apparently (and if my understanding is correct), HP/Compaq disables
    >>>dual-channel memory access in Socket 939 motherboards, making CPU <-> RAM
    >>>communication slower, and overall performance less than what people would
    >>>expect when buying a system with the outward characteristics of what they
    >>>think they are getting.
    >>>
    >>>http://zv6000forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=148

    >> The laptops use the Turion chip.

    >Wrong. _Some_ of the laptops use the Turion chip (quite few as of this
    >writing, actually).

    The zv6000, the laptop under discussion here and in the forum you
    referenced, uses the Turion chip.

    >Regardless ...
    >
    >> According to AMD, the Turion's
    >> integrated memory controller can use PC1600, PC2100, PC2700 or PC3200
    >> unbuffered DDR SO-DIMMs and has a maximum throughput of 3.2 GB/s.

    >Do you understand how dual-channel access works? You have 3.2 GB/s per
    >memory module, i.e. up to 6.4 GB/s. Dual-channel access is more, not less,
    >important when slow memory is used.

    NO, the Turion's memory controller is 64-bit and limited to a max of
    3.2GB/s. Dual channel won't help. Read the specs. Here is the
    executive's graphic for you:
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._12663,00.html

    >> So, explain to me what engineering in dual channel support is going to
    >> buy you. BTW, does any vendor manufacture dual channel compatible
    >> SO-DIMMs?

    >There is something you have in common with the NoNoBadDog

  9. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    Robert Klute wrote:

    > On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 23:19:07 -0700, alex goldman wrote:
    >
    >>Robert Klute wrote:

    >>> The laptops use the Turion chip.

    >>Wrong. _Some_ of the laptops use the Turion chip (quite few as of this
    >>writing, actually).

    > The zv6000, the laptop under discussion here and in the forum you
    > referenced, uses the Turion chip.

    Wrong.

    Go to hp.com,

    http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...true&tab=specs

    you'll get

    Choices:
    AMD Sempron(TM) 3000+ (1.8GHz/128KB L2 Cache)
    AMD Sempron(TM) 3200+ (1.8GHz/256KB L2 Cache)
    AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3200+ (2.0GHz/512KB L2 Cache)
    AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3500+ (2.2GHz/512KB L2 Cache)
    AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3800+ (2.4GHz/512KB L2 Cache)
    AMD Athlon(TM) 64 4000+ (2.4GHz/1MB l2 Cache)

    May I ask why you insist on spreading misinformation *after* you've been
    corrected?

    >>Regardless ...
    >>
    >>> According to AMD, the Turion's
    >>> integrated memory controller can use PC1600, PC2100, PC2700 or PC3200
    >>> unbuffered DDR SO-DIMMs and has a maximum throughput of 3.2 GB/s.

    >>Do you understand how dual-channel access works? You have 3.2 GB/s per
    >>memory module, i.e. up to 6.4 GB/s. Dual-channel access is more, not less,
    >>important when slow memory is used.

    > NO, the Turion's memory controller is 64-bit and limited to a max of
    > 3.2GB/s. Dual channel won't help.

    Wrong. Turion is a Socket 754 CPU, so it doesn't even support dual-channel
    memory access. The discussion is about the CPUs that do.

  10. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 06:55:04 GMT, Robert Klute wrote:

    >On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 23:19:07 -0700, alex goldman wrote:
    >
    >>Robert Klute wrote:

    >>> The laptops use the Turion chip.

    >>Wrong. _Some_ of the laptops use the Turion chip (quite few as of this
    >>writing, actually).

    >The zv6000, the laptop under discussion here and in the forum you
    >referenced, uses the Turion chip.
    >
    >>Regardless ...
    >>
    >>> According to AMD, the Turion's
    >>> integrated memory controller can use PC1600, PC2100, PC2700 or PC3200
    >>> unbuffered DDR SO-DIMMs and has a maximum throughput of 3.2 GB/s.

    >>Do you understand how dual-channel access works? You have 3.2 GB/s per
    >>memory module, i.e. up to 6.4 GB/s. Dual-channel access is more, not less,
    >>important when slow memory is used.

    >NO, the Turion's memory controller is 64-bit and limited to a max of
    >3.2GB/s. Dual channel won't help. Read the specs. Here is the
    >executive's graphic for you:
    >http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._12663,00.html

    And just to be absolutely clear, only the chips with 128-bit memory
    controllers can use dual channel memory and ALL the mobile AMD-64 chips
    are listed as being socket 754 and having 64bit memory controllers.

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_10220_10221^11030,00.html

    As for the forum thread you referenced, the posters are just a bunch of
    whiny idiots. Since only an idiot would think that a laptop would use
    an 89W 939 chip in it. Talk about a hot system, it would have to come
    with a nomex pad to keep you from getting 2nd degree burns.

  11. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 00:22:20 -0700, alex goldman wrote:

    >Robert Klute wrote:

    >>>Wrong. _Some_ of the laptops use the Turion chip (quite few as of this
    >>>writing, actually).

    >> The zv6000, the laptop under discussion here and in the forum you
    >> referenced, uses the Turion chip.

    >Wrong.
    >
    >Go to hp.com,
    >
    >http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...true&tab=specs
    >
    >you'll get
    >
    > Choices:
    >AMD Sempron(TM) 3000+ (1.8GHz/128KB L2 Cache)
    >AMD Sempron(TM) 3200+ (1.8GHz/256KB L2 Cache)
    >AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3200+ (2.0GHz/512KB L2 Cache)
    >AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3500+ (2.2GHz/512KB L2 Cache)
    >AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3800+ (2.4GHz/512KB L2 Cache)
    >AMD Athlon(TM) 64 4000+ (2.4GHz/1MB l2 Cache)
    >

    >May I ask why you insist on spreading misinformation *after* you've been
    >corrected?

    OK, so I am the idiot, HP is using the 939 chips. Damn, how big is the
    auxillary fan unit you have to lug around with it? If you plan on using
    the CPU, disk and display at the same time, you better get the 120W
    brick instead of the 90W version.

  12. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    alex goldman wrote:

    > Robert Klute wrote:

    >>>Wrong. _Some_ of the laptops use the Turion chip (quite few as of this
    >>>writing, actually).

    >> The zv6000, the laptop under discussion here and in the forum you
    >> referenced, uses the Turion chip.

    > Wrong.
    >
    > Go to hp.com,

    http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...true&tab=specs

    > you'll get
    >
    > Choices:
    > AMD Sempron(TM) 3000+ (1.8GHz/128KB L2 Cache)
    > AMD Sempron(TM) 3200+ (1.8GHz/256KB L2 Cache)
    > AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3200+ (2.0GHz/512KB L2 Cache)
    > AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3500+ (2.2GHz/512KB L2 Cache)
    > AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3800+ (2.4GHz/512KB L2 Cache)
    > AMD Athlon(TM) 64 4000+ (2.4GHz/1MB l2 Cache)
    >

    > May I ask why you insist on spreading misinformation *after* you've been
    > corrected?

    Now, if you go to the AMD site you'll find that the Mobile Athlon 64 is
    _also_ listed as having 3.2 GB/sec memory support.

    Now, it may be that HP is not using Mobile chips but instead using the
    desktop chips, in which case I presume that they also provide a SNAP
    reactor to run the thing.

    Do not assume that all Athlon 64s are created equal.

    Further, since the memory controller on the Athlon 64 is build into the
    chip, one has to work pretty hard to disable dual-channel support.

    And as another poster pointed out, are there any 128-bit SODIMMS out there?
    If not then even if dual-channel support _was_ present you would need to
    have two SODIMMS in order to use it.

    >>>Regardless ...

    >>>Do you understand how dual-channel access works? You have 3.2 GB/s per
    >>>memory module, i.e. up to 6.4 GB/s. Dual-channel access is more, not
    >>>less, important when slow memory is used.

    >> NO, the Turion's memory controller is 64-bit and limited to a max of
    >> 3.2GB/s. Dual channel won't help.

    > Wrong. Turion is a Socket 754 CPU, so it doesn't even support dual-channel
    > memory access. The discussion is about the CPUs that do.

    So please show us the manufacturer's specifications for an available (i.e.
    you can buy it somewhere) laptop that indicate that it has a 939 pin
    socket.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

  13. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 20:46:58 -0700, alex goldman wrote:

    > I've been researching my next laptop purchase, and whether it will run
    > Linux, and completely accidentally stumbled upon an alarming issue that
    > people need to be more aware about.
    >
    > Apparently (and if my understanding is correct), HP/Compaq disables
    > dual-channel memory access in Socket 939 motherboards, making CPU <-> RAM
    > communication slower, and overall performance less than what people would
    > expect when buying a system with the outward characteristics of what they
    > think they are getting.
    >
    > http://zv6000forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=148

    Turion's are in 754 packages not 939, they have one memory controller not
    two. If you want performance then make sure you get a processor with a 1M
    Cache, the cache size is much more important then either clock speed or
    dual memory channels. I have a Compaq R3000z laptop with an Athlon 64
    3400+ (1M cache, socket 754) and a desktop with an Athlon 64 3800+ (1/2M
    cache, socket 939). The 3400+ is twice as fast as the 3800+ on some tasks.

  14. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    J. Clarke wrote:

    >> Choices:
    >> AMD Sempron(TM) 3000+ (1.8GHz/128KB L2 Cache)
    >> AMD Sempron(TM) 3200+ (1.8GHz/256KB L2 Cache)
    >> AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3200+ (2.0GHz/512KB L2 Cache)
    >> AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3500+ (2.2GHz/512KB L2 Cache)
    >> AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3800+ (2.4GHz/512KB L2 Cache)
    >> AMD Athlon(TM) 64 4000+ (2.4GHz/1MB l2 Cache)
    >>

    >> May I ask why you insist on spreading misinformation after you've been
    >> corrected?

    > Now, if you go to the AMD site you'll find that the Mobile Athlon 64 is
    > also listed as having 3.2 GB/sec memory support.

    Has it not been made abundantly clear to you what chips are used in the
    laptops in question?

    > Further, since the memory controller on the Athlon 64 is build into the
    > chip, one has to work pretty hard to disable dual-channel support.

    It's disabled in BIOS. HP admits as much. The motherboard is socket 939. Why
    don't you read the site and maybe think for a moment.

  15. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 20:46:58 -0700, alex goldman wrote:
    >
    >> I've been researching my next laptop purchase, and whether it will run
    >> Linux, and completely accidentally stumbled upon an alarming issue that
    >> people need to be more aware about.
    >>
    >> Apparently (and if my understanding is correct), HP/Compaq disables
    >> dual-channel memory access in Socket 939 motherboards, making CPU <-> RAM
    >> communication slower, and overall performance less than what people would
    >> expect when buying a system with the outward characteristics of what they
    >> think they are getting.
    >>
    >> http://zv6000forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=148

    > Turion's are in 754 packages not 939,

    What do Turions have to do with it?

    > they have one memory controller not
    > two. If you want performance then make sure you get a processor with a 1M
    > Cache, the cache size is much more important then either clock speed or
    > dual memory channels.

    For some tasks. For others, dual-channel will run twice faster.

  16. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 11:37:29 -0700, alex goldman wrote:

    > For some tasks. For others, dual-channel will run twice faster.

    That's pure BS, expect for bandwidth benchmarks. Overall performance
    increase for dual over single channel is 5% at most, with some apps
    actually running slower, and some running faster. Although I'll admit that
    building a 939 MB without support for both channels is just flat stupid.

  17. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 11:11:58 -0700, alex goldman wrote:

    > J. Clarke wrote:
    >
    >>> Choices:
    >>> AMD Sempron(TM) 3000+ (1.8GHz/128KB L2 Cache)
    >>> AMD Sempron(TM) 3200+ (1.8GHz/256KB L2 Cache)
    >>> AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3200+ (2.0GHz/512KB L2 Cache)
    >>> AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3500+ (2.2GHz/512KB L2 Cache)
    >>> AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3800+ (2.4GHz/512KB L2 Cache)
    >>> AMD Athlon(TM) 64 4000+ (2.4GHz/1MB l2 Cache)
    >>>

    >>> May I ask why you insist on spreading misinformation after you've been
    >>> corrected?

    >> Now, if you go to the AMD site you'll find that the Mobile Athlon 64 is
    >> also listed as having 3.2 GB/sec memory support.

    > Has it not been made abundantly clear to you what chips are used in the
    > laptops in question?
    >
    >> Further, since the memory controller on the Athlon 64 is build into the
    >> chip, one has to work pretty hard to disable dual-channel support.

    > It's disabled in BIOS. HP admits as much. The motherboard is socket 939. Why
    > don't you read the site and maybe think for a moment.

    I've come into this late, but are you saying they sell a laptop with
    socket 939, and only provided for one memory controller, leaving the other
    lines for the second controller from the cpu socket not connected? Only a
    complete moron would do this. The dual channel ram is basically the only
    advantage over a socket 754 cpu. And it doesn't provide much advantage
    performance wise until you get to dual core. My guess is that this isn't a
    939 board. I couldn't find anything to indicate it is. Just because the
    bios says second channel disabled doesn't mean a thing. they can put
    anything they want in the bios. Now if in fact they did use 939 just so
    you could run the later cpu's, but have the second memory controller not
    connected I can say one thing. I wouldn't buy it.

  18. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    Wes Newell wrote:

    > Overall performance
    > increase for dual over single channel is 5% at most

    Where did you get this idea?

  19. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    Wes Newell wrote:

    > I've come into this late,

    Easy come easy go.

  20. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    alex goldman wrote:

    > J. Clarke wrote:
    >
    >>> Choices:
    >>> AMD Sempron(TM) 3000+ (1.8GHz/128KB L2 Cache)
    >>> AMD Sempron(TM) 3200+ (1.8GHz/256KB L2 Cache)
    >>> AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3200+ (2.0GHz/512KB L2 Cache)
    >>> AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3500+ (2.2GHz/512KB L2 Cache)
    >>> AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3800+ (2.4GHz/512KB L2 Cache)
    >>> AMD Athlon(TM) 64 4000+ (2.4GHz/1MB l2 Cache)
    >>>

    >>> May I ask why you insist on spreading misinformation after you've been
    >>> corrected?

    >> Now, if you go to the AMD site you'll find that the Mobile Athlon 64 is
    >> also listed as having 3.2 GB/sec memory support.

    > Has it not been made abundantly clear to you what chips are used in the
    > laptops in question?

    No it has not. Athlon 64s are made in Socket 754 and Socket 939
    variants--just saying "Athlon(TM) 64" tells you nothing whatsoever about
    the socket.

    >> Further, since the memory controller on the Athlon 64 is build into the
    >> chip, one has to work pretty hard to disable dual-channel support.

    > It's disabled in BIOS. HP admits as much. The motherboard is socket 939.
    > Why don't you read the site and maybe think for a moment.

    I read the site and it looked like a bunch of people whingeing. Searching
    the page for "939" got no hits at all.

    Further research indicates that apparently for some bizarre reason HP built
    a laptop that cannot possibly use a mobile processor. I'd be more worried
    about that than about whether it has the second memory channel enabled.