AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled - Portable

This is a discussion on AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled - Portable ; "alex goldman" wrote in message news:1644801.2ZpBNuCCis@yahoo.com... > General Schvantzkoph wrote: > >> On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 20:46:58 -0700, alex goldman wrote: >> >>> I've been researching my next laptop purchase, and whether it will run >>> Linux, and completely ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

  1. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    "alex goldman" wrote in message
    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 20:46:58 -0700, alex goldman wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've been researching my next laptop purchase, and whether it will run
    >>> Linux, and completely accidentally stumbled upon an alarming issue that
    >>> people need to be more aware about.
    >>>
    >>> Apparently (and if my understanding is correct), HP/Compaq disables
    >>> dual-channel memory access in Socket 939 motherboards, making CPU <->
    >>> RAM
    >>> communication slower, and overall performance less than what people
    >>> would
    >>> expect when buying a system with the outward characteristics of what
    >>> they
    >>> think they are getting.
    >>>
    >>> http://zv6000forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=148

    >> Turion's are in 754 packages not 939,

    > What do Turions have to do with it?
    >
    >> they have one memory controller not
    >> two. If you want performance then make sure you get a processor with a 1M
    >> Cache, the cache size is much more important then either clock speed or
    >> dual memory channels.

    > For some tasks. For others, dual-channel will run twice faster.

    Dual Channel will not run "twice faster". There is overhead that will
    prevent getting a doubling of the throughput. While the difference can be
    dramatic, it will not be "twice as fast".

    Bobby

  2. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    J. Clarke wrote:

    >> It's disabled in BIOS. HP admits as much. The motherboard is socket 939.
    >> Why don't you read the site and maybe think for a moment.

    > I read the site and it looked like a bunch of people whingeing. Searching
    > the page for "939" got no hits at all.

    Go to http://www.zv6000forums.com/search.php , type 939 into the first form,
    click search.

    I'm getting lots of hits, most of them relevant, I'm also getting tired of
    your "helplessness" .

  3. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    Ed Light wrote:

    > "NoNoBadDog!" wrote
    >
    >> Since they are shipping with DDR and not DDr2, what would be the purpose
    >> of enabling the dual channel?

    > My dual channel AMD gets a bit less than twice the memory speed in
    > memtest86 when running dual channel.
    >
    > No AMD runs DDR2.
    >
    > Why they would disable dual channel I don't know. Since they can
    > completely configure the pc with compatible memory, it doesn't make sense,
    > unless they randomly throw whatever cheap memory they can find into it.
    > Then it figures.

    What beats me is why NoNoBadDog would talk about things he's totally
    clueless about in a way to suggest he's the ultimate "white paper" -reading
    expert.

    I also have a strong suspicion a few others in this thread are sock puppets
    of the same physical person. The similarties in the use of obscene
    language, self-contradiction, talking about things one does not know much
    about while insinuating expertise, and helplessness in looking up simple
    public-domain facts are too striking to be random.

    I will therefore excuse myself from this thread. Hope it was helpful to
    someone.

  4. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 20:46:58 -0700, alex goldman wrote:

    > I've been researching my next laptop purchase, and whether it will run
    > Linux, and completely accidentally stumbled upon an alarming issue that
    > people need to be more aware about.
    >
    > Apparently (and if my understanding is correct), HP/Compaq disables
    > dual-channel memory access in Socket 939 motherboards, making CPU <-> RAM
    > communication slower, and overall performance less than what people would
    > expect when buying a system with the outward characteristics of what they
    > think they are getting.
    >
    > http://zv6000forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=148

    OK, read some of the posts. Here is the likely reason that they turned off
    dual channel memory, they ****ed up the design of machine and it won't run
    reliably in dual channel mode. Assuming that they aren't complete idiots
    what happened is that they intended to use both channels. If they were
    planning for it to be a single channel machine they would have used a 754
    pin part, which is what they did in the nx6125 or the ze2000z. When they
    got to the lab it didn't work when both memory channels were running at
    the same time. Rather then re-layout the pc board they disabled dual
    channels in the BIOS and shipped it. They probably have a pc board spin in
    the works, when it's ready they'll change the model number and ship it as
    a new machine. The current ones are never going to run in dual channel
    mode, it's not a bug in the BIOS it's a bug in the printed circuit board
    layout. If you are going to buy an HP laptop today buy the nx6125 or the
    ze2000z, those are available with Turions which are lower power then the
    939 A64. Also most Turions have 1M of cache, the only exception
    is the ML32 so stay away from that one. As I said in an earlier post cache
    matters, dual channel doesn't. I know you think that dual channel is
    important but it's not. I challenge you to name one real world program
    where it makes even a 10% difference. I did some extensive benchmarking
    doing heavy duty simulations, FPGA place and routes, GCC makes. The 3400+
    with 1M of cache and a single data channel was never slower then the 3800+
    with two channels, a faster clock, but only 1/2M of cache. On Verilog
    simulations the 3400+ was twice as fast as the 3800+.

  5. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    There are too many ignorant dumbasses on this board, that refuse to admit
    they are wrong and half the statistics and facts they generate and just
    random numbers from their head!

    NoNObadDOG. You either have to be trying to annoy people on this board or
    you're in Guinness Book OWRs under the record living human with the least
    amount of brain cells

  6. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 13:27:03 -0700, alex goldman wrote:

    > Wes Newell wrote:
    >
    >> Overall performance
    >> increase for dual over single channel is 5% at most

    > Where did you get this idea?

    From my considerable knowledge of how they work. And then there are
    thounsands of benchmarks to prove it all over the web. find a benchmark of
    apps that have a 3400+ single channel cpu and a 3500+ dual channel listed
    in the same benchmark. Now guess which one wins most of the benchmark
    test. if you think the 3500+ you'd be wrong. Now compare the 3400+ to a
    3800+. Both have the same clockspeed of 2.4GHz, and the same 512K cache.
    Only difference is the dual channel ram. Does the 3800+ win all
    benchmarks? No. And the reason is pretty simple. The overhead of the dual
    channel slows it down when high bandwidth isn't needed. And the onboard
    very low latency memory controller allows the single channel to service
    the data request very fast compared to old chipset controller that had to
    send the data over a shared FSB. The lack of a major performance increase
    for dual channel is probably why HP decided not to use it if that's what
    they did. I still think leaving it out was stupid though. But in reality,
    it's not a big deal or advantage. Dual cores may prove to be a different
    story since they will have much more demand. Time will tell.

  7. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 13:27:03 -0700, alex goldman wrote:
    >
    >>Wes Newell wrote:
    >>
    >>>Overall performance
    >>>increase for dual over single channel is 5% at most

    >>Where did you get this idea?

    > From my considerable knowledge of how they work. And then there are
    > thounsands of benchmarks to prove it all over the web. find a benchmark of
    > apps that have a 3400+ single channel cpu and a 3500+ dual channel listed
    > in the same benchmark. Now guess which one wins most of the benchmark
    > test. if you think the 3500+ you'd be wrong. Now compare the 3400+ to a
    > 3800+. Both have the same clockspeed of 2.4GHz, and the same 512K cache.
    > Only difference is the dual channel ram. Does the 3800+ win all
    > benchmarks? No. And the reason is pretty simple. The overhead of the dual
    > channel slows it down when high bandwidth isn't needed. And the onboard
    > very low latency memory controller allows the single channel to service
    > the data request very fast compared to old chipset controller that had to
    > send the data over a shared FSB. The lack of a major performance increase
    > for dual channel is probably why HP decided not to use it if that's what
    > they did. I still think leaving it out was stupid though. But in reality,
    > it's not a big deal or advantage. Dual cores may prove to be a different
    > story since they will have much more demand. Time will tell.

    It may lead to a greater increase in battery lifetime compared to
    speed lost.

  8. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    Hi, aren't Turions all socket 754...???

    Thats what I read...

    "Robert Klute" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 06:55:04 GMT, Robert Klute wrote:

    >>>Wrong. _Some_ of the laptops use the Turion chip (quite few as of this
    >>>writing, actually).

    >>The zv6000, the laptop under discussion here and in the forum you
    >>referenced, uses the Turion chip.
    >>
    >>>Regardless ...

    >>>Do you understand how dual-channel access works? You have 3.2 GB/s per
    >>>memory module, i.e. up to 6.4 GB/s. Dual-channel access is more, not
    >>>less,
    >>>important when slow memory is used.

    >>NO, the Turion's memory controller is 64-bit and limited to a max of
    >>3.2GB/s. Dual channel won't help. Read the specs. Here is the
    >>executive's graphic for you:
    >>http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._12663,00.html

    > And just to be absolutely clear, only the chips with 128-bit memory
    > controllers can use dual channel memory and ALL the mobile AMD-64 chips
    > are listed as being socket 754 and having 64bit memory controllers.
    >

    > http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_10220_10221^11030,00.html
    >

    > As for the forum thread you referenced, the posters are just a bunch of
    > whiny idiots. Since only an idiot would think that a laptop would use
    > an 89W 939 chip in it. Talk about a hot system, it would have to come
    > with a nomex pad to keep you from getting 2nd degree burns.

  9. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 05:56:46 +0000, Robert Klute wrote:

    > On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 20:46:58 -0700, alex goldman wrote:
    >
    >>I've been researching my next laptop purchase, and whether it will run
    >>Linux, and completely accidentally stumbled upon an alarming issue that
    >>people need to be more aware about.
    >>
    >>Apparently (and if my understanding is correct), HP/Compaq disables
    >>dual-channel memory access in Socket 939 motherboards, making CPU <-> RAM
    >>communication slower, and overall performance less than what people would
    >>expect when buying a system with the outward characteristics of what they
    >>think they are getting.
    >>
    >>http://zv6000forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=148

    > The laptops use the Turion chip. According to AMD, the Turion's
    > integrated memory controller can use PC1600, PC2100, PC2700 or PC3200
    > unbuffered DDR SO-DIMMs and has a maximum throughput of 3.2 GB/s.
    >
    > So, explain to me what engineering in dual channel support is going to
    > buy you. BTW, does any vendor manufacture dual channel compatible
    > SO-DIMMs?

    HP has a number of different A64 notebooks, at least one (R4000) uses a
    939 pin processor which could have supported dual channel memory if they
    had chosen to do so. All laptops in this range have two DIMM sockets so
    dual channel memory is entirely doable assuming that the processor has
    support for it (there is no such thing as a dual channel DIMM, dual
    channel memory systems use DIMMs in pairs).

    The latest laptops all use the Turion which appears to be a single
    channel processor. However the Turion is available with a 1M cache which
    more then makes up for the lack of dual memory channels.

    BTW I have a Compaq R3000z with an 3400+ in it. It's screaming fast and
    I've had no trouble running Fedora Core 3, 32 and 64 bit on it. The only
    thing that's a pain is the built in Broadcom wireless chip which lacks a
    native Linux driver. It can be made to work using Ndiswrapper but that's a
    lot less convenient then having a wireless card with a native Linux
    driver. If you get an HP/Compaq and they are still using the Broadcom
    wireless chip (I bought mine a year ago) I'd recommend that you delete
    that option and buy a Linux compatible PCMCIA card.

    As for buying an HP/Compaq. The HPs and the Compaqs are identical except
    for color. On any give day the price on http://www.hpshopping.com for
    identical models can vary significantly between the HP and Compaq versions
    depending on the specials of the day so check both models. HP also sells
    systems without Windows, you can get Linux or Freedos instead. They don't
    offer these systems on hpshopping, you have to go to http://www.hp.com and
    look up business systems. I don't know if this is actually cheaper then
    paying the Windows tax on hpshopping.com, you'll have to do the
    comparisons for the model that you are interested in yourself.

  10. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    General Schvantzkoph writes:
    > If you get an HP/Compaq and they are still using the Broadcom
    > wireless chip (I bought mine a year ago) I'd recommend that you delete
    > that option and buy a Linux compatible PCMCIA card.

    I dunno about the Broadcom chip but they're now apparently using some
    ATI video card that also has Linux driver issues. That's harder to
    work around with a PCMCIA card.

  11. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:32:53 -0400, General Schvantzkoph
    dijo:

    >As for buying an HP/Compaq. The HPs and the Compaqs are identical except
    >for color. On any give day the price on http://www.hpshopping.com for
    >identical models can vary significantly between the HP and Compaq versions
    >depending on the specials of the day so check both models. HP also sells
    >systems without Windows, you can get Linux or Freedos instead. They don't
    >offer these systems on hpshopping, you have to go to http://www.hp.com and
    >look up business systems. I don't know if this is actually cheaper then
    >paying the Windows tax on hpshopping.com, you'll have to do the
    >comparisons for the model that you are interested in yourself.

    I had an R4000 before I sent it back under HP's "no hassle" return
    policy. Now I have an R3240, which is much better. I don't see any
    speed difference in the R3240. Notice that I said I don't see any
    speed difference. Benchmark tests might tell a different story. But
    from the standpoint of the user, if the difference isn't noticeable,
    then who cares?

    It took a long time (because I'm a n00b), but I finally got the wifi
    working with ndiswrapper. There's still a problem though. It works
    fine, but ever since getting it working the bootup process hangs for
    three minutes on "configuring network interfaces," or whatever that
    line says. I just hit Ctrl-c to continue. But then the wireless is not
    functioning after it finishes booting. I have to do ifup wlan0, and
    that takes awhile to finish too. I went to a local Linux clinic for
    beginners and one of the gurus got it working without the delay. But a
    few days later it was back to the delay. Unfortunately, what he did
    took him a while to figure out, and I didn't keep notes. (OK, not only
    am I a n00b, I'm kinda dumb.)

    As for HP v. Compaq, the Compaq has one feature that I dearly love --
    the on-off button for the touchpad. I want the touchpad functional, in
    case my mouse battery goes dead or I get to the university and
    discover I left the mouse at home. But otherwise, it is a PITA. You're
    typing along and your thumb hits it and zooom! Your cursor is suddenly
    across the screen.

    And as for the laptops sans Windows, I tried everything to get a
    laptop from HP without Windows before buying the R4000. HP insists
    there is no such thing as a laptop without Windows. I tried the
    corporate department and every other department. I think they might
    have offered a laptop without Windows once, but as far as I know that
    option is history.

    And for the record, the main problem with the R4000 was the ATI video.
    I could never get it out of VESA 1024 x 768. In fact, to date I still
    haven't heard anyone getting it successfully into a decent resolution.
    In contrast, when I installed 64-bit Ubuntu 5.04 on my R3240 it
    automatically found the video and set it up at 1600 x 1080.

    --
    Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

  12. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    Marek Williams writes:

    >On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:32:53 -0400, General Schvantzkoph
    > dijo:

    >It took a long time (because I'm a n00b), but I finally got the wifi
    >working with ndiswrapper. There's still a problem though. It works
    >fine, but ever since getting it working the bootup process hangs for
    >three minutes on "configuring network interfaces," or whatever that
    >line says. I just hit Ctrl-c to continue. But then the wireless is not

    It is the dhcp getting the ip address from the access point. Now I also do
    not know why it takes so long, but it usually does.
    If you would rather not wait, put
    ONBOOT=no
    into /etc/sysconfig/network-script/ifcfg-eth1
    (assuming your wireless is eth1)

    >functioning after it finishes booting. I have to do ifup wlan0, and
    >that takes awhile to finish too. I went to a local Linux clinic for
    >beginners and one of the gurus got it working without the delay. But a
    >few days later it was back to the delay. Unfortunately, what he did
    >took him a while to figure out, and I didn't keep notes. (OK, not only
    >am I a n00b, I'm kinda dumb.)

  13. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    Here are some links where they offer notebooks with FreeDOS, although I
    don't see how to select FreeDOS instead of Windows.

    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...21838-f33.html

    Here are their Linux certified laptops.
    http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolution...rt-redhat.html

  14. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > Here are their Linux certified laptops.

    http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolution...rt-redhat.html

    At least with SUSE & Mandriva, they're a couple of revisions behind. Are
    these old pages or is certification that slow?

    Courtesy of the Xandros site, here's a link to a vendor who does presently
    sell linux certified laptops, usually with your choice of distro (within
    which ones they offer) preinstalled:
    http://www.linuxcertified.com/xandros-laptop.html

    Bill K

  15. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    Doug Lynn wrote:
    > Hi, aren't Turions all socket 754...???
    >
    > Thats what I read...
    >
    > "Robert Klute" wrote in message

    >>>The zv6000, the laptop under discussion here and in the forum you
    >>>referenced, uses the Turion chip.

    >>>NO, the Turion's memory controller is 64-bit and limited to a max of
    >>>3.2GB/s. Dual channel won't help. Read the specs. Here is the
    >>>executive's graphic for you:
    >>>http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._12663,00.html

    >>And just to be absolutely clear, only the chips with 128-bit memory
    >>controllers can use dual channel memory and ALL the mobile AMD-64 chips
    >>are listed as being socket 754 and having 64bit memory controllers.
    >>

    >>http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_10220_10221^11030,00.html
    >>

    >>As for the forum thread you referenced, the posters are just a bunch of
    >>whiny idiots. Since only an idiot would think that a laptop would use
    >>an 89W 939 chip in it. Talk about a hot system, it would have to come
    >>with a nomex pad to keep you from getting 2nd degree burns.

    Go-l dot com has/had a /dual/ AMD64 939 laptop in their extreme
    performance range. 4GB RAM, 120GB HDx2, a huge battery pack, and a solid
    aluminium chassis hinged onto a 20" WXGA panel. Dreamy stuff, if you
    want a laptop you could fry half a cow on. I'll take two.

    --
    Cheers, http://www.dotware.co.uk
    Jim http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    Maybe the Internet has the answers I need. It certainly answered my
    questions about wang enhancement.

  16. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Marek Williams writes:
    >
    >>And as for the laptops sans Windows, I tried everything to get a
    >>laptop from HP without Windows before buying the R4000. HP insists
    >>there is no such thing as a laptop without Windows. I tried the
    >>corporate department and every other department. I think they might
    >>have offered a laptop without Windows once, but as far as I know that
    >>option is history.

    > We bought some ~20 workstations from HP a couple of years ago.
    > They were all to run Solaris x86, so we returned all the Windows
    > licenses to HP and got a refund. In the UK at least, if you
    > refuse to accept the Windows license, the supplier has no choice
    > other than to refund you for the Windows license.

    the way around that is to preinstall Windows with no license. The end
    user then has three choices:

    1. buy a Windows license before the thing cripples itself
    2. scrub the Windows partition and install something else
    3. dig out an old license key and use that or find one of the many GA
    hacks and steal it.

    In this way, the end user can try-before-he-buys, see how insanely
    crappy Windows is compared to the Knoppix DVD you'd also supply him (did
    I forget to mention that? Apologies...) and plump for Linux. One of my
    favourite tricks, and it also gets me out of having to wait on M$ for an
    OEM license refund (yeah, right! Like it's worth bothering over 11 quid
    a time!)

    Oh, and technically legal.

    --
    Cheers, http://www.dotware.co.uk
    Jim http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    Maybe the Internet has the answers I need. It certainly answered my
    questions about wang enhancement.

  17. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    "Jim" wrote in message

    > Go-l dot com has/had a /dual/ AMD64 939 laptop in their extreme
    > performance range. 4GB RAM, 120GB HDx2, a huge battery pack, and a solid
    > aluminium chassis hinged onto a 20" WXGA panel. Dreamy stuff, if you want
    > a laptop you could fry half a cow on. I'll take two.

    It's probably still cooler than a P4

  18. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    Yadayada wrote:
    > "Jim" wrote in message
    >
    >>Go-l dot com has/had a /dual/ AMD64 939 laptop in their extreme
    >>performance range. 4GB RAM, 120GB HDx2, a huge battery pack, and a solid
    >>aluminium chassis hinged onto a 20" WXGA panel. Dreamy stuff, if you want
    >>a laptop you could fry half a cow on. I'll take two.
    >>

    > It's probably still cooler than a P4

    they've been having a bit of a rearrange. Just had a look and the
    fastest I can find is the Hollywood:

    http://www.go-l.com/laptops/hollywoo...ures/index.htm

    This baby has internal space for three hard drives, up to 2GB RAM, P4HT
    or EE to 3.4GHz, Radeon Mobility 9700 graphics

    Screen size is a bit disappointing though, only 17" widescreen with a
    lower resolution than my current powerhouse laptop (Dell Latitude C840
    with 2.0 P4m and 15" XGA at 1600x1200 versus the Hollywood with it's 3.4
    P4 and 17" WXGA at 1680x1050)

    --
    Cheers, http://www.dotware.co.uk
    Jim http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    Maybe the Internet has the answers I need. It certainly answered my
    questions about wang enhancement.

  19. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    Jim writes:
    > they've been having a bit of a rearrange. Just had a look and the
    > fastest I can find is the Hollywood:
    >
    > http://www.go-l.com/laptops/hollywoo...ures/index.htm

    From :

    "Presently, no new pre-orders are being taken for any current or
    future products and all new hardware and software product
    development roadmaps are under re-structuring. Equally, no
    technical, post sales and updated drivers for existing L products
    are being supported till further notice."

    Sounds like going out of business to me.

  20. Re: AMD64-based laptops from HP/Compaq are crippled

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > Jim writes:
    >
    >>they've been having a bit of a rearrange. Just had a look and the
    >>fastest I can find is the Hollywood:
    >>
    >>http://www.go-l.com/laptops/hollywoo...ures/index.htm

    > From :
    >
    > "Presently, no new pre-orders are being taken for any current or
    > future products and all new hardware and software product
    > development roadmaps are under re-structuring. Equally, no
    > technical, post sales and updated drivers for existing L products
    > are being supported till further notice."
    >
    > Sounds like going out of business to me.

    yeap. Been posted a good while, that has.