running linux voids warranty? - Portable

This is a discussion on running linux voids warranty? - Portable ; Are there laptop manufacturers that will refuse warranty repair if they find Linux on the hard drive?...

  1. running linux voids warranty?

    Are there laptop manufacturers that will refuse warranty repair if they find
    Linux on the hard drive?

  2. Re: running linux voids warranty?

    alex goldman wrote:
    > Are there laptop manufacturers that will refuse warranty repair if they find
    > Linux on the hard drive?

    If there are, let me know so I know not to buy them. On saying that, I
    do all my own repairs, right down to replacing broken power sockets, so
    it doesn't affect me much. But it's the principle of the thing.

    --
    Cheers, http://www.dotware.co.uk
    Jim http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    Are more people violently opposed to wearing fur than leather because
    it's easier to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs?

  3. Re: running linux voids warranty?

    alex goldman wrote:

    > Are there laptop manufacturers that will refuse warranty repair if they
    > find Linux on the hard drive?

    With IBM, you have the option of sending the computer in for repair, without
    the hard drive, so they don't need Windows on the computer to resolve
    hardware problems.

  4. Re: running linux voids warranty?

    what I do is buy a second hard drive and put whatever I want on it.
    When warranty comes into play I just put the original drive back in.
    Dell will not honor the warranty if it does not have the original config on
    it
    "alex goldman" wrote in message
    > Are there laptop manufacturers that will refuse warranty repair if they
    > find
    > Linux on the hard drive?

  5. Re: running linux voids warranty?

    BigJim ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting )

    > what I do is buy a second hard drive and put whatever I want on it.
    > When warranty comes into play I just put the original drive back in.
    > Dell will not honor the warranty if it does not have the original config
    > on it

    I've been thinking about that myself. Does anyone know if the same policy
    applies to compaq presarios ? Should I just call them and ask (to have some
    minimum-wage employee in customer service make up an answer on the fly) ?

    > "alex goldman" wrote in message
    >> Are there laptop manufacturers that will refuse warranty repair if they
    >> find
    >> Linux on the hard drive?

  6. Re: running linux voids warranty?

    alex goldman wrote:

    > BigJim ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting )
    >

    >>what I do is buy a second hard drive and put whatever I want on it.
    >>When warranty comes into play I just put the original drive back in.
    >>Dell will not honor the warranty if it does not have the original config
    >>on it

    > I've been thinking about that myself. Does anyone know if the same policy
    > applies to compaq presarios ? Should I just call them and ask (to have some
    > minimum-wage employee in customer service make up an answer on the fly) ?

    Most, if not all such companys put a disclaimer on your repair such that
    if they lose all your data: "hard cheese".

    Therefore, you should make a full backup anyway.

    When I sent my Sony in, I backed up and then used the 'Recover CDs' to
    bring the machine back to its original state. For me it has the
    following benefits:

    * Its always good to have a full machine backup - you never know when
    things will go real bad in the future.

    * Although you may not lose your warranty, they could claim the fault
    lies in the usage of an unsupported OS. If they're nice they may then
    offer to to test it with the original OS installed and you'll lose
    your data anyway.

    * Not that I'm over suspicious, but I don't like the thoughts of anybody
    routing through my private information.

    Regards,

    Richard

    --
    Richard Corden

  7. Re: running linux voids warranty?

    Talking about B@@@SH@@ computer manufacturers, My HP Desktop is STUPID!
    The Bios blocks initrd and a few other things! Knoppix won't work, as
    won't Mandrake, Mandriva, Fedora, Debian, or even the OLD RedHats! The
    one version that works is RH9, which names those files differently.
    Someone told me that I can get a $250 bios update to allow linux to be
    used. Any Ideas?
    poly-p man

  8. Re: running linux voids warranty?

    In comp.os.linux.misc Poly-poly man wrote:
    > Talking about B@@@SH@@ computer manufacturers, My HP Desktop is STUPID!
    > The Bios blocks initrd and a few other things! Knoppix won't work, as

    If you mean that the bios does not support loading ramdisk from disk,
    the linux kernel does not use such bios calls. Ramdisks are loaded ONLY
    when the kernel has finished loading, and by then it is using its own
    ide disk driver, not the bios.

    So revise your panicky notions to match common sense and reality. If
    you have a problem, it is not the hysterical "my washing machine won't
    let me use linux" problem that your fluttery mind thinks you have!

    Peter

  9. Re: running linux voids warranty?

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 00:06:53 -0700, alex goldman wrote:

    > BigJim ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting )
    >
    >> what I do is buy a second hard drive and put whatever I want on it.
    >> When warranty comes into play I just put the original drive back in.
    >> Dell will not honor the warranty if it does not have the original config
    >> on it

    > I've been thinking about that myself. Does anyone know if the same policy
    > applies to compaq presarios ? Should I just call them and ask (to have some
    > minimum-wage employee in customer service make up an answer on the fly) ?
    >

    >> "alex goldman" wrote in message
    >>> Are there laptop manufacturers that will refuse warranty repair if they
    >>> find
    >>> Linux on the hard drive?

    HP sells some laptops with Linux, they sell others with FreeDOS which
    pretty much assumes that you are going to put Linux on it so I can't
    imagine that they will void your warranty if you put Linux on the box. The
    problem comes if you remove Windows altogether. The service people are
    trained to deal with Windows boxes, they don't know Linux from from french
    toast. If you buy a laptop that comes with Windows you would be well
    advised to keep a Windows partition on the machine. That way if you have a
    problem you can boot into Windows before calling the service line.

  10. Re: running linux voids warranty?

    Poly-poly man wrote:

    > Talking about B@@@SH@@ computer manufacturers, My HP Desktop is STUPID!
    > The Bios blocks initrd and a few other things! Knoppix won't work, as
    > won't Mandrake, Mandriva, Fedora, Debian, or even the OLD RedHats! The
    > one version that works is RH9, which names those files differently.
    > Someone told me that I can get a $250 bios update to allow linux to be
    > used. Any Ideas?

    Yeah, take some portion of that $250 and spend it on a case and motherboard
    that will take your existing RAM, disks, processor, etc, and then toss the
    remains of the HP in the dumpster.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

  11. Re: running linux voids warranty?

    Maybe, there are certainly mfgrs. who will use ANY available excuse to
    void the warranty.

    But, then, how are they going to know that you were running linux if you
    don't tell them? You can "image" the disk before you install Linux, and
    the reinstall the image if you have to send it in for service (or,
    better, use a different hard drive).

    alex goldman wrote:

    > Are there laptop manufacturers that will refuse warranty repair if they find
    > Linux on the hard drive?

  12. Re: running linux voids warranty?

    In comp.os.linux.misc Barry Watzman wrote:
    > But, then, how are they going to know that you were running linux if you
    > don't tell them? You can "image" the disk before you install Linux, and
    > the reinstall the image if you have to send it in for service (or,
    > better, use a different hard drive).

    One normally does not return the disk if the unit is going for repair
    (unless the disk IS the problem). Take it out - let them use their own
    disk.

    Peter

  13. Re: running linux voids warranty?

    Barry Watzman writes:
    > Maybe, there are certainly mfgrs. who will use ANY available excuse to
    > void the warranty.

    Any excuse that isn't mentioned in the warranty document isn't available.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  14. Re: running linux voids warranty?

    "Poly-poly man" writes:

    >Talking about B@@@SH@@ computer manufacturers, My HP Desktop is STUPID!
    >The Bios blocks initrd and a few other things! Knoppix won't work, as
    >won't Mandrake, Mandriva, Fedora, Debian, or even the OLD RedHats! The
    >one version that works is RH9, which names those files differently.
    >Someone told me that I can get a $250 bios update to allow linux to be
    >used. Any Ideas?
    >poly-p man

    Sorry, that makes no sense at all. What has the bios to do with initrd.
    The bios boot loader simply loads absolute disk segments. It knows nothing about
    file systems, names, whatever.

  15. Re: running linux voids warranty?

    "alex goldman" wrote in message
    | Are there laptop manufacturers that will refuse warranty repair if
    they find
    | Linux on the hard drive?

    The one or two times that I sent an IBM ThinkPad in for service, I was
    instructed to take out every removable item including HDD, FDD, battery
    and additional memory that I added beyond what the system shipped with.
    I think that this may still be IBM's policy.

    If you send a laptop in for service, almost all manufacturers will
    format the HDD and reinstall the factory load.

    As others have suggested, you may want to have a 2nd HDD loaded with the
    factory installation of whatever OS the system shipped with. When you
    call in for service the support people will want to try to rule out
    software problems first.

    I had an IBM TP that I bought in 1995 that shipped with dual boot OS/2
    and PCDOS/Win3.11. When I called in for support, they would shuffle me
    back and forth between the OS/2 people and their MS support folks. Me,
    "But it's just a physical problem with the keyboard!" - Them, "Never
    mind, reinstall the software.". ;-(

    Chas.

  16. Re: running linux voids warranty?

    well I have in-house warranty.
    "* * Chas" wrote in message

    > "alex goldman" wrote in message
    > | Are there laptop manufacturers that will refuse warranty repair if
    > they find
    > | Linux on the hard drive?
    >
    > The one or two times that I sent an IBM ThinkPad in for service, I was
    > instructed to take out every removable item including HDD, FDD, battery
    > and additional memory that I added beyond what the system shipped with.
    > I think that this may still be IBM's policy.
    >
    > If you send a laptop in for service, almost all manufacturers will
    > format the HDD and reinstall the factory load.
    >
    > As others have suggested, you may want to have a 2nd HDD loaded with the
    > factory installation of whatever OS the system shipped with. When you
    > call in for service the support people will want to try to rule out
    > software problems first.
    >
    > I had an IBM TP that I bought in 1995 that shipped with dual boot OS/2
    > and PCDOS/Win3.11. When I called in for support, they would shuffle me
    > back and forth between the OS/2 people and their MS support folks. Me,
    > "But it's just a physical problem with the keyboard!" - Them, "Never
    > mind, reinstall the software.". ;-(
    >
    > Chas.

  17. Re: running linux voids warranty?

    On 2005-07-04, Jim wrote:

    > alex goldman wrote:
    >> Are there laptop manufacturers that will refuse warranty repair if they find
    >> Linux on the hard drive?

    > If there are, let me know so I know not to buy them. On saying that, I
    > do all my own repairs, right down to replacing broken power sockets, so
    > it doesn't affect me much. But it's the principle of the thing.

    We sent my son's HP laptop (with RH9) in for warranty work and they fixed
    it (keyboard problem), but it came back with the default XP-Home image
    installed and linux wiped from the drive. Why you have to wipe and
    re-image the HD for a hardware keyboard problem is beyond me.

    --

    -John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  18. Re: running linux voids warranty?

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > HP sells some laptops with Linux, they sell others with FreeDOS which
    > pretty much assumes that you are going to put Linux on it so I can't
    > imagine that they will void your warranty if you put Linux on the box. The
    > problem comes if you remove Windows altogether. The service people are
    > trained to deal with Windows boxes, they don't know Linux from from french
    > toast. If you buy a laptop that comes with Windows you would be well
    > advised to keep a Windows partition on the machine. That way if you have a
    > problem you can boot into Windows before calling the service line.

    While running linux won't void your warranty, Toshiba support will not
    even talk to you (and thus won't issue an RMA) unless you have the
    *original, Toshiba supplied* MS Windows up and running....

    So, no, they won't void your warranty, but they won't honor it either.
    I had a couple of keys go bad, and Toshiba refused to even talk to me
    unless I could reinstall the CDs that came with the machine...

    I like my Toshiba laptop, but I probably won't buy another just because
    of that policy.....

+ Reply to Thread