QTparted misreporting partition usage - Portable

This is a discussion on QTparted misreporting partition usage - Portable ; Hi, I'm planning to install FC4 on my laptop (dell i6000) as a dual boot with the currently installed windows XP. However, when I come to partition the drive using QTparted via Knoppix CD, QTparted misreports the usage of the ...

  1. QTparted misreporting partition usage

    Hi,

    I'm planning to install FC4 on my laptop (dell i6000) as a dual boot
    with the currently installed windows XP. However, when I come to
    partition the drive using QTparted via Knoppix CD, QTparted misreports
    the usage of the Windows partition(NTFS) saying that ~30Gb of ~33Gb are
    used, when running du shows that only 9Gb are used. I tried
    defragmenting the disk, but this made no difference. Has anyone else
    come across this problem before?

    Thanks

    perseus

  2. Re: QTparted misreporting partition usage

    On Saturday 25 June 2005 08:48, perseus wrote:

    > I'm planning to install FC4 on my laptop (dell i6000) as a dual boot
    > with the currently installed windows XP. However, when I come to
    > partition the drive using QTparted via Knoppix CD, QTparted misreports
    > the usage of the Windows partition(NTFS) saying that ~30Gb of ~33Gb
    > are
    > used, when running du shows that only 9Gb are used. I tried
    > defragmenting the disk, but this made no difference. Has anyone else
    > come across this problem before?

    du reports file space usage on a partition, not partition size as
    QTParted reports. Use df for partition size and amount of space
    available on each filesystem/partition. Use the -h (human readable)
    option.

    And FWIW, I'd rather use Partition Magic or some other Windows utility,
    intead of a Linux based one, to shrink a Windows partition,
    particularly an NTFS one. Less headaches.

    --
    Stefan Patric
    NoLife Polymath Group

  3. Re: QTparted misreporting partition usage

    perseus wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm planning to install FC4 on my laptop (dell i6000) as a dual boot
    > with the currently installed windows XP. However, when I come to
    > partition the drive using QTparted via Knoppix CD, QTparted misreports
    > the usage of the Windows partition(NTFS) saying that ~30Gb of ~33Gb are
    > used, when running du shows that only 9Gb are used. I tried
    > defragmenting the disk, but this made no difference. Has anyone else
    > come across this problem before?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > perseus

    Knoppix partitioning tools were too limited for me when I tried the same
    thing:
    http://silas.psfc.mit.edu/tp41setup.html

    Just running the installer for the first system I used was a much more
    satisfactory result. I don't know in detail about FC4, whether it can
    handle shrinking your windows partition, though.

    Ian Hutchinson

  4. Re: QTparted misreporting partition usage

    Ian Hutchinson wrote:
    > perseus wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm planning to install FC4 on my laptop (dell i6000) as a dual boot
    >> with the currently installed windows XP. However, when I come to
    >> partition the drive using QTparted via Knoppix CD, QTparted misreports
    >> the usage of the Windows partition(NTFS) saying that ~30Gb of ~33Gb
    >> are used, when running du shows that only 9Gb are used. I tried
    >> defragmenting the disk, but this made no difference. Has anyone else
    >> come across this problem before?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> perseus

    > Knoppix partitioning tools were too limited for me when I tried the same
    > thing:
    > http://silas.psfc.mit.edu/tp41setup.html
    >
    > Just running the installer for the first system I used was a much more
    > satisfactory result. I don't know in detail about FC4, whether it can
    > handle shrinking your windows partition, though.
    >
    > Ian Hutchinson

    FWIW, I'd only trust Partition Magic for resizing NTFS partitions. It's
    written for the native platform, so you know it pretty much works. Since
    MS, in their infinite wisdom, have seen fit not to release the
    specifications for the filesystem in their entirety (except to
    PowerQuest, since absorbed into the Symantec family, and even to them
    under an NDA), what's available for Linux regarding NTFS partition
    handling (even /reading/) is entirely guesswork.

    --
    Cheers, http://www.dotware.co.uk
    Jim http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    Unix Sex: { look; find; talk; grep; touch; finger; find; flex; unzip;
    mount; workbone; fsck; yes; gasp; fsck; yes; eject; umount; makeclean;
    zip; split; done; exit }

  5. Re: QTparted misreporting partition usage

    Jim wrote:
    > Ian Hutchinson wrote:
    >
    >> perseus wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I'm planning to install FC4 on my laptop (dell i6000) as a dual boot
    >>> with the currently installed windows XP. However, when I come to
    >>> partition the drive using QTparted via Knoppix CD, QTparted
    >>> misreports the usage of the Windows partition(NTFS) saying that ~30Gb
    >>> of ~33Gb are used, when running du shows that only 9Gb are used. I
    >>> tried defragmenting the disk, but this made no difference. Has
    >>> anyone else come across this problem before?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> perseus

    >> Knoppix partitioning tools were too limited for me when I tried the
    >> same thing:
    >> http://silas.psfc.mit.edu/tp41setup.html
    >>
    >> Just running the installer for the first system I used was a much more
    >> satisfactory result. I don't know in detail about FC4, whether it can
    >> handle shrinking your windows partition, though.
    >>
    >> Ian Hutchinson

    > FWIW, I'd only trust Partition Magic for resizing NTFS partitions. It's
    > written for the native platform, so you know it pretty much works. Since
    > MS, in their infinite wisdom, have seen fit not to release the
    > specifications for the filesystem in their entirety (except to
    > PowerQuest, since absorbed into the Symantec family, and even to them
    > under an NDA), what's available for Linux regarding NTFS partition
    > handling (even /reading/) is entirely guesswork.

    This is a very much undeserved slight to the developers of ntfsresize
    (used by QTParted and other front-ends). Look at
    . Ntfresize is
    very reliable, and has been for quite some time.

    Jeff

  6. Re: QTparted misreporting partition usage

    jeff wrote:

    > This is a very much undeserved slight to the developers of ntfsresize
    > (used by QTParted and other front-ends). Look at
    > . Ntfresize is
    > very reliable, and has been for quite some time.

    FWIW, SuSE 9.3 includes ntfsresize v1.9.4 and uses it in Yast, to resize
    partitions.

  7. Re: QTparted misreporting partition usage

    perseus wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm planning to install FC4 on my laptop (dell i6000) as a dual boot
    > with the currently installed windows XP. However, when I come to
    > partition the drive using QTparted via Knoppix CD, QTparted misreports
    > the usage of the Windows partition(NTFS) saying that ~30Gb of ~33Gb are
    > used, when running du shows that only 9Gb are used. I tried
    > defragmenting the disk, but this made no difference. Has anyone else
    > come across this problem before?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > perseus

    I've run into the same problem of QTParted telling me that
    my WinXP ntfs partition cannot be shrunk (or not much) when
    other disk utilities tell me that the partition is less than
    half full. If I remember correctly I found out at the time
    (two years ago) that WinXP places some files way out at the
    end of the partition that cannot be moved, perhaps for the
    perverse reason that WinXP doesn't want to give up any disk
    real estate to any other OS.

    My way out at the time was to get myself a second hard disk
    reserved for Linux rather than trying to resize the first
    drive. WinXP gives you a graphical display of the state of
    fragmentation of your Windows partition. Take a look at
    that and see if there are any files way out to the right,
    toward the upper end of the partition. Too bad you didn't
    do this before you defragmented. If you do see some files
    out there you may want to run another disk defragmentation.
    If they are still there after that run, then WinXP may
    indeed refuse to move them. Perhaps a non-Microsoft
    defragmentation utility (e.g. Norton?) would do a better job.

    I've generally had fairly good luck with QTParted; I've
    repartitioned my second hard disk a dozen times with it. I
    generally prefer to use QTParted on the "System Rescue
    CD-x86" rather than QTParted on the Knoppix live CD because
    with Knoppix it's possible that the partition you want to
    modify is mounted or "busy" rather than "available" and that
    doesn't seem to happen with the System Rescue CD. You
    shouldn't touch a busy partition.

    The Anaconda installer for FC4 is quite good in its disk
    partitioning capabilities and so are the installers for
    MCNLive_Brugge (a Mandriva live CD) and Xandros 3.0.1 OCE
    (which is also free). You may just want to download and
    burn these CD's and poke around with these tools on your HD
    to see what they say about the Windows partition and whether
    it can be shrunk, and then start an install with any/or all
    of these up to the point where changes would be written to
    the partition table - and then bail out before that point if
    you have the least degree of uncertainty about what is going
    to happen. They all allow you to first simulate the disk
    partitioning and they will clearly alert you when the
    changes are about to be written to disk, so you can back off.

    Xandros OCE (aka ODE) may work well, and even if you install
    that OS at first, you can always reuse the partition that
    the Xandros installer made and install FC4 on it. Ergo with
    a Mandrake install from the Brugge live CD.

    Xandros has a good user forum; the "Install" section ought
    to have a lot of posts relating experiences with resizing a
    Windows ntfs partition with the Xandros installer. You
    could also post your query there; they are very helpful. Of
    course, the same holds for FC and Mandriva; they have good
    user forums and a base of knowledge about how their
    installer deals with Windows XP partitions.

    Partition Magic is predominently geared toward Windows
    users, and it costs money, plenty of it. You can also
    download a free demo of a competing product "Acronis
    Partition Expert" (or a larger Acronis package that includes
    the partitioning utility) that will allow you to diagnose
    and partition your HD in simulation; the actual
    write-to-disk part is disabled in the demo, so it's
    completely safe.

    Good luck!

    Robert

  8. Re: QTparted misreporting partition usage

    Robert Glueck wrote:
    > perseus wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm planning to install FC4 on my laptop (dell i6000) as a dual boot
    >> with the currently installed windows XP. However, when I come to
    >> partition the drive using QTparted via Knoppix CD, QTparted misreports
    >> the usage of the Windows partition(NTFS) saying that ~30Gb of ~33Gb
    >> are used, when running du shows that only 9Gb are used. I tried
    >> defragmenting the disk, but this made no difference. Has anyone else
    >> come across this problem before?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> perseus

    > My way out at the time was to get myself a second hard disk reserved for
    > Linux rather than trying to resize the first drive. WinXP gives you a
    > graphical display of the state of fragmentation of your Windows
    > partition. Take a look at that and see if there are any files way out
    > to the right, toward the upper end of the partition. Too bad you didn't
    > do this before you defragmented. If you do see some files out there you
    > may want to run another disk defragmentation. If they are still there
    > after that run, then WinXP may indeed refuse to move them. Perhaps a
    > non-Microsoft defragmentation utility (e.g. Norton?) would do a better job.

    I thought of this and ckecked before I defragged, and yes there were
    some files towards the end of the disk, but they moved after the defrag
    and weren't the cause of the problem. I think it must have been down to
    a bug in the Knoppix version of QTparted I was using, since the
    SystemRescueCD version would allow be to resize as much as I liked.

    > Good luck!
    >
    > Robert

    Thanks for everyones helpful advice. This is the first time I've
    visitted this forum and will hopefully be back for more.

    cheers again

    Perseus

+ Reply to Thread