How to change irq on dell inspiron 8500 ? - Portable

This is a discussion on How to change irq on dell inspiron 8500 ? - Portable ; Hi all, I'm using FC2 on a dell inpiron 8500 P4/2Ghz/1Gb. My problem is that the USB device,eth0 and Nvidia card share the same irq 11. My system is *VERY* slow when I have a lot of graphic output in ...

  1. How to change irq on dell inspiron 8500 ?

    Hi all,
    I'm using FC2 on a dell inpiron 8500 P4/2Ghz/1Gb.

    My problem is that the USB device,eth0 and Nvidia card share the same
    irq 11.
    My system is *VERY* slow when I have a lot of graphic output in a
    terminal (I'm using gnome-terminal),meanwhile I transfering a lot of MB
    on the lan.

    I'm using the nvidia close source driver (but same thing with the nv
    driver),and IMHO the prblem is that where is too much "traffic" on the
    irq 11.
    I looked into the BIOS but no option about IRQs.

    How can I force the kernel to use IRQs in a better way?

    Thanks
    Alessandro

  2. Re: How to change irq on dell inspiron 8500 ?

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 02:47:08 GMT, Alessandro Boggiano staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > I'm using FC2 on a dell inpiron 8500 P4/2Ghz/1Gb. My problem is that
    > the USB device, eth0 and Nvidia card share the same irq 11.

    A lot of laptops are built so that multiple devices share one hardware
    IRQ. This saves the manufacturer money, so it must be good. FWIW, the
    sound card, Rage128, and PCMCIA controller share one IRQ on my Thinkpad,
    which has half the CPU and 1/3 the RAM that your machine does, and
    everything works fine.

    > My system is *VERY* slow when I have a lot of graphic output in a
    > terminal (I'm using gnome-terminal)

    I've recently heard reports of gnome-terminal being really slow in other
    newsfroups. This is probably nothing to do with the IRQ, but with the
    particular version of gnome-terminal and its supporting libraries. I've
    never seen the problem firsthand, because I use KDE, and I don't
    remember the proposed solution, but groups.google probably remembers it.

    > meanwhile I transfering a lot of MB on the lan. I'm using the nvidia
    > close source driver (but same thing with the nv driver), and IMHO the
    > prblem is that where is too much "traffic" on the irq 11.

    The nv X module doesn't use the vblank interrupt (which only fires about
    60 times a second on an LCD anyway) IIRC, so switching to nv should've
    reduced the problem if it were related to IRQs.

    > How can I force the kernel to use IRQs in a better way?

    I really don't think that's the problem. Go groups.google
    gnome-terminal, G-Dawg, and see what they say. Or start using KDE :-) .
    HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  3. Re: How to change irq on dell inspiron 8500 ?

    Dances With Crows ha scritto:
    > On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 02:47:08 GMT, Alessandro Boggiano staggered into the
    > Black Sun and said:
    >

    >>My system is *VERY* slow when I have a lot of graphic output in a
    >>terminal (I'm using gnome-terminal)

    > I've recently heard reports of gnome-terminal being really slow in other
    > newsfroups. This is probably nothing to do with the IRQ, but with the
    > particular version of gnome-terminal and its supporting libraries. I've
    > never seen the problem firsthand, because I use KDE, and I don't
    > remember the proposed solution, but groups.google probably remembers it.

    You are right!
    In the mornig I tried xterm and I have noticed that the slowdown was gone!

    > I really don't think that's the problem. Go groups.google
    > gnome-terminal, G-Dawg, and see what they say. Or start using KDE :-) .
    > HTH,

    No mate! I'm a fluxbox addict!!!

    Really thanks for you help I'm going too googling a lot!

    Cheers!
    Alesandro

  4. Re: How to change irq on dell inspiron 8500 ?

    Alessandro Boggiano wrote:
    > Dances With Crows ha scritto:
    >
    >> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 02:47:08 GMT, Alessandro Boggiano staggered into the
    >> Black Sun and said:
    >>

    >>> My system is *VERY* slow when I have a lot of graphic output in a
    >>> terminal (I'm using gnome-terminal)

    >> I've recently heard reports of gnome-terminal being really slow in other
    >> newsfroups. This is probably nothing to do with the IRQ, but with the
    >> particular version of gnome-terminal and its supporting libraries. I've
    >> never seen the problem firsthand, because I use KDE, and I don't
    >> remember the proposed solution, but groups.google probably remembers it.

    > You are right!
    > In the mornig I tried xterm and I have noticed that the slowdown was gone!
    >

    >> I really don't think that's the problem. Go groups.google
    >> gnome-terminal, G-Dawg, and see what they say. Or start using KDE :-) .
    >> HTH,

    > No mate! I'm a fluxbox addict!!!
    >
    > Really thanks for you help I'm going too googling a lot!
    >

    > Cheers!
    > Alesandro

    As far as I know this has to do with fonts and formatting of the text.
    Gnome-terminal (Gnome) and Konsole (KDE) change the font to something
    more readable than the standard font that you see in xterm. This,
    however, slows the terminal down.

    Regards, Bo

  5. Re: How to change irq on dell inspiron 8500 ?

    Bo Andresen ha scritto:

    > As far as I know this has to do with fonts and formatting of the text.
    > Gnome-terminal (Gnome) and Konsole (KDE) change the font to something
    > more readable than the standard font that you see in xterm. This,
    > however, slows the terminal down.

    That's correct Bob,but in my case I think that the problem is really a bug.
    I tried the same opearation on my old Inspiron 3800 with RH7.1 and no
    slowdown at all!
    To be honest, I didn't check the setting of the gnome-terminal
    (especially the font setting).
    Now I'm having a look to multi-gnome-terminal: it's good,it has tabs,
    but I really need the option to change the character enconding
    on-the-fly (I'm working on a university library),and it has no it!

    Regards
    Alessandro

+ Reply to Thread