Actius MM10 modem - Portable

This is a discussion on Actius MM10 modem - Portable ; I am trying to make the modem of the Sharp Actius MM10 notebook work with Redhat Linux. The modem driver seems to work, since up to CONNECT everythingseems to work: ATZ OK ATMIL1 OK ATDT1000 CONNECT 34666 V42bis Then however ...

  1. Actius MM10 modem

    I am trying to make the modem of the Sharp Actius MM10 notebook work
    with Redhat Linux.
    The modem driver seems to work, since up to CONNECT everythingseems to
    work:
    ATZ
    OK
    ATMIL1
    OK
    ATDT1000
    CONNECT 34666 V42bis

    Then however Kppp fails, telling me that "pppd exited with return value
    16".
    Did anyone succeed to get the modem working on this laptop, or any
    ideas what is going wrong?
    Some log messages are attached below.
    Thanks in advance!!

    ---

    Jun 17 16:26:12 localhost pppd[4627]: pppd 2.4.2 started by root, uid 0
    Jun 17 16:26:12 localhost pppd[4627]: Using interface ppp0
    Jun 17 16:26:12 localhost pppd[4627]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
    Jun 17 16:26:30 localhost pppd[4627]: PAP authentication succeeded
    Jun 17 16:26:30 localhost pppd[4627]: kernel does not support PPP
    filtering
    Jun 17 16:26:39 localhost pppd[4627]: Terminating on signal 15.
    Jun 17 16:26:45 localhost pppd[4627]: Connection terminated.
    Jun 17 16:26:45 localhost pppd[4627]: Exit.

    ---

    Opener: received SetSecret
    Opener: received SetSecret
    Opener: received OpenLock

    Opener: received OpenDevice
    Opener: received ExecPPPDaemon
    In parent: pppd pid 2480
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Kernel supports ppp alright.
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Opener: received KillPPPDaemon
    In killpppd(): Sending SIGTERM to 2480
    It was pppd that died
    pppd exited with return value 16
    Sending 2027 a SIGUSR1
    Opener: received RemoveSecret
    Opener: received RemoveSecret
    Opener: received OpenResolv
    Opener: received OpenResolv
    Opener: received RemoveLock
    ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:494snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed:
    Broken pipe

  2. Re: Actius MM10 modem

    jan.a@gmx.de wrote:
    > I am trying to make the modem of the Sharp Actius MM10 notebook work
    > with Redhat Linux.
    > The modem driver seems to work, since up to CONNECT everythingseems to
    > work:
    > ATZ
    > OK
    > ATMIL1
    > OK
    > ATDT1000
    > CONNECT 34666 V42bis
    >
    > Then however Kppp fails, telling me that "pppd exited with return value
    > 16".
    > Did anyone succeed to get the modem working on this laptop, or any
    > ideas what is going wrong?
    > Some log messages are attached below.
    > Thanks in advance!!
    >
    > ---
    >
    > Jun 17 16:26:12 localhost pppd[4627]: pppd 2.4.2 started by root, uid 0
    > Jun 17 16:26:12 localhost pppd[4627]: Using interface ppp0
    > Jun 17 16:26:12 localhost pppd[4627]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
    > Jun 17 16:26:30 localhost pppd[4627]: PAP authentication succeeded
    > Jun 17 16:26:30 localhost pppd[4627]: kernel does not support PPP
    > filtering
    > Jun 17 16:26:39 localhost pppd[4627]: Terminating on signal 15.
    > Jun 17 16:26:45 localhost pppd[4627]: Connection terminated.
    > Jun 17 16:26:45 localhost pppd[4627]: Exit.
    >
    > ---
    >
    > Opener: received SetSecret
    > Opener: received SetSecret
    > Opener: received OpenLock
    >
    > Opener: received OpenDevice
    > Opener: received ExecPPPDaemon
    > In parent: pppd pid 2480
    > Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    > Kernel supports ppp alright.
    > Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    > Opener: received KillPPPDaemon
    > In killpppd(): Sending SIGTERM to 2480
    > It was pppd that died
    > pppd exited with return value 16
    > Sending 2027 a SIGUSR1
    > Opener: received RemoveSecret
    > Opener: received RemoveSecret
    > Opener: received OpenResolv
    > Opener: received OpenResolv
    > Opener: received RemoveLock
    > ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:494snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed:
    > Broken pipe

    Not knowing much about the German telecommunications system, I'll throw
    a few ideas at you.

    Did you disable call waiting?
    Did you disable originator-mask?
    Is your modem configured for the German telecommunications system? (for
    some reason, most dialers/modem controllers default to the US system -
    in most countries, using out of bounds dialling mechanisms is illegal(!))

    From the HP page on pppd:

    pppd is a daemon process used in UNIX systems to manage connections to
    other hosts using PPP, the Point to Point Protocol, or SLIP, the Serial
    Line Internet Protocol. It uses the UNIX host's native serial ports. It
    communicates with the UNIX kernel's own TCP/IP implementation via the HP
    IP tunnel driver (see tun(4)).
    Daemon Management Options
    auto

    Start in `autocall' mode and detach from the controlling terminal to run
    as a daemon. Initiate a connection in response to a packet specified in
    the `bringup' category in filter-file. Requires the remote address.
    up

    When used with auto, bring the link up immediately rather than waiting
    for traffic. If the link goes down, attempt to restart it (after the
    call retry delay timer expires) without waiting for an outbound packet.
    dedicated

    Treat the connection as a dedicated line rather than a demand-dial
    connection. This option tells pppd to never give up on the connection;
    that is, if the peer tries to shut down the link, go ahead and do so,
    but then immediately try to reestablish the connection. Similarly, when
    first trying to connect, pppd will not give up after sending a fixed
    number of Configure-Request messages. Hangup events (LQM failures, loss
    of Carrier Detect) will still cause the device to be closed, just as
    with dial-up connections, and the Systems file will then be checked for
    alternate entries. If none are available, the connection will be
    reestablished after the call retry delay timer expires. Use a short call
    retry delay timer on dedicated circuits; something like Any;5-30 should
    work well. Implies up.
    nodetach

    Don't detach from the controlling terminal in `autocall' mode. When used
    with log -, this can be useful for watching the progress of the PPP session.
    log log-file

    Append logging messages to log-file (default: /var/adm/pppd.log).
    acct acct-file

    Append session accounting messages to acct-file. If acct-file is the
    same as log-file, the session accounting messages will be interleaved
    with other logging information.
    filter filter-file

    Look in filter-file for packet filtering and link management information
    (default: /etc/ppp/Filter).
    debug debug-level

    Set the log file verbosity to the following debug-level and each
    debugging verbosity level also provides the information of all the
    lower-numbered levels.
    0

    Daemon start messages
    1

    Link status messages, calling attempts (the default)
    2

    Chat script processing, input framing errors
    3

    LCP, IPCP, PAP and CHAP negotiation
    4

    LQM status summaries
    5

    IP interface changes
    6

    IP message summaries
    7

    Full LQM reports
    8

    All PPP messages (without framing)
    9

    Characters read or written
    10

    Procedure call messages
    11

    Internal timers

    exec exec-cmd

    Run `exec-cmd up addr args' when the link comes up, and `exec-cmd down
    addr args' when it goes down. Addr is the IP address of the peer, and
    args is the list of arguments given to pppd.
    nonice

    Run at a normal user process priority, rather than using the nice()
    library routine to elevate pppd scheduling priority to -10.

    Communications Options
    asyncmap async-map

    Set the desired Async Control Character Map to async-map, expressed in
    C-style hexadecimal notation (default 0xA0000).
    noasyncmap

    Disable LCP Async Control Character Map negotiation.
    escape odd-character

    In addition to those characters specified in the PPP Async Control
    Character Map (which can include only 0x00 through 0x1F), also apply the
    escaping algorithm when transmitting odd-character. The value of
    odd-character must be between 0x00 and 0xFF, and cannot be any of 0x5E,
    0x7D or 0x7E.

    Odd-character can be specified as a decimal number, in C-style
    hexadecimal notation, or as an ASCII character with optional `^'
    control-character notation. For example, the XON character could be
    specified as 17, 0x11, or ^Q.

    If a character specified with the escape argument, when transformed into
    its escaped form, would be the same as a character contained in the
    peer's negotiated Async Control Character Map, a warning will be printed
    in the log file and the character specified on the command line will not
    be escaped.

    If a character specified with the escape argument, when transformed into
    its escaped form, would be the same as a character specified in another
    escape argument on the daemon's command line, pppd will print an error
    message and exit.
    device

    Communicate over the named device (default /dev/tty).
    comm-speed

    Set communications rate to comm-speed bits per second.
    ignore-cd

    Ignore the state of the CD (Carrier Detect, also called DCD, Data
    Carrier Detect) signal. This is useful for systems that don't support CD
    but want to run PPP over a dedicated line.
    xonxoff

    Set the line to use in-band (`software') flow control, using the
    characters DC3 (^S, XOFF, ASCII 0x13) to stop the flow and DC1 (^Q, XON,
    ASCII 0x11) to resume. (The default is to use no flow control.) For an
    outbound connection, this may be specified either in Devices or on the
    pppd command line.
    telnet

    When used on an answering pppd command line, negotiate the telnet binary
    option and understand telnet escape processing. Not for use with device
    or auto.

    Link Management Options
    nooptions

    Disable all LCP and IPCP options.
    noaccomp

    Disable HDLC Address and Control Field compression.
    noprotcomp

    Disable LCP Protocol Field Compression.
    slip

    Use RFC 1055 SLIP packet framing rather than PPP packet framing.
    Disables all option negotiation, and implies noasyncmap, noipaddress,
    vjslots 16, novjcid, nomagic, nomru, and mru 1006. Implies vjcomp if
    peer sends a header-compressed TCP packet.
    extra-slip-end

    When running in SLIP mode, prepend a SLIP packet framing character
    (0xC0) to each frame before transmission, even if this frame immediately
    follows the previous frame. By default, pppd transmits only one framing
    character between adjacent SLIP frames.
    nomagic

    Disable LCP Magic Number negotiation.
    mru mru-size

    Set LCP Maximum Receive Unit value to mru-size for negotiation. The
    default is 1500 for PPP and 1006 for SLIP.
    nomru

    Disable LCP Maximum Receive Unit negotiation, and use 1500 for our
    interface.
    active

    Begin LCP parameter negotiation immediately (the default).
    passive

    Do not send our first LCP packet until we receive an LCP packet from the
    peer.
    timeout restart-time

    Set the LCP, IPCP, CCP, PAP, and CHAP option negotiation restart timers
    to restart-time (default 3 seconds).
    lqrinterval time

    Send Link-Quality-Reports or Echo-Requests every time seconds (default
    10 seconds). If the peer responds with a Protocol-Reject, send LCP
    Echo-Requests every time seconds instead, and use the received LCP
    Echo-Replies for link status policy decisions.
    lqthreshold min/per

    Set a minimum standard for link quality by considering the connection to
    have failed if fewer than min out of the last per LQRs we sent have been
    responded to by the peer (default 1/5).
    echolqm

    Use LCP Echo-Requests rather than standard Link-Quality-Report messages
    for link quality assessment and policy decisions. The peer can override
    this if it actively tries to configure Link Quality Monitoring unless
    the nolqm parameter is also specified.
    nolqm

    Don't send or recognize Link-Quality-Report messages. If echolqm is also
    specified, Echo-Request messages will be used to detect link failures.
    idle idle-time[/session-idle-time]

    Shut down the link when idle-time seconds pass without receiving or
    transmitting a packet specified in the `keepup' category in the filter
    file (default is to never consider the link idle).

    If session-idle-time is specified and any TCP sessions are open, shut
    down the link when session-idle-time seconds pass without receiving or
    transmitting a packet.
    max-configure tries

    Set the PPP Max-Configure counter (the maximum number of
    Configure-Requests sent without a response) to tries .
    max-terminate tries

    Set the PPP Max-Terminate counter (the maximum number of
    Terminate-Requests sent without a response) to tries .
    max-failure tries

    Set the PPP Max-Failure counter (the maximum number of Configure-Naks
    sent without a positive response) to tries .

    IP Options
    local:remote

    The address of this machine, followed by the expected address for the
    remote machine. Can be specified either as symbolic names or as literal
    IP addresses, if their addresses cannot be discovered locally without
    using the PPP link.

    Both addresses are optional, but a colon by itself is not valid, and the
    remote address is required when running as a daemon in `autocall' mode.
    If only local: is specified when receiving an incoming call, the remote
    address will be discovered during IPCP IP-Address negotiations.

    If either address is followed by a tilde character (`~'), or if the
    tilde appears alone, pppd accepts the IP address given by the peer
    during IPCP negotiations, whether for the local end or the peer's end of
    the link. (not available in SLIP mode)

    Because SLIP cannot perform option negotiations, including IPCP, both
    addresses should normally be specified, and the tilde option is
    unavailable. To obtain a similar "feature", the peer must provide the IP
    address textually during the login process, and a new value must be
    obtained using the Systems file `\A' chat script feature (see
    ppp.Systems(4)).
    netmask subnet-mask

    Set the subnet mask of the interface to subnet-mask, expressed either in
    C-style hexadecimal (e.g. 0xffffff00) or in decimal dotted-quad notation
    (e.g. 255.255.255.0). The default subnet mask will be appropriate for
    the network (class A, B, or C), assuming no subnetting.
    noipaddress

    Disable IPCP IP-Address negotiation.
    vjcomp

    Enable RFC 1144 `VJ' Van Jacobson TCP header compression negotiation
    with 16 slots and slot ID compression (this is the default with PPP
    framing). `VJ' compression is enabled by default for async connections,
    and disabled by default for sync connections.
    novjcomp

    Disable RFC 1144 `VJ' Van Jacobson TCP header compression (this is the
    default with SLIP framing, until the peer sends a header-compressed TCP
    packet).
    vjslots vj-slots

    Set the number of VJ compression slots (min 3, max 256, default 16).
    novjcid

    Disable VJ compression slot ID compression (enabled by default).
    rfc1172-vj

    Backwards compatibility with older PPP implementations (4-byte VJ
    configuration option), but with the correct option negotiation value of
    0x002d.
    rfc1172-typo-vj

    Backwards compatibility with older PPP implementations (4-byte VJ
    configuration option) that conform to the typographical error in RFC
    1172 section 5.2 (Compression-Type value 0x0037).
    rfc1172-addresses

    Backwards compatibility with older PPP implementations that conform to
    RFC 1172 section 5.1 (IP-Addresses, IPCP configuration option 1) and not
    with the newer RFC 1332 (IP-Address, IPCP configuration option 3), but
    that respond with something besides a Configure-Reject when they receive
    an IPCP Configure-Request containing an option 3.

    Authentication Options

    requireauth

    Require either PAP or CHAP authentication.
    requirechap

    Require CHAP authentication as described in RFC 1334.
    requiremschap

    Require MS-CHAP authentication.
    requirepap

    Require PAP authentication.
    rechap interval

    Demand that the peer re-authenticate itself (using CHAP) every interval
    seconds. If the peer fails the new challenge, the link is terminated.
    name identifier

    Provide the identifier used during PAP or CHAP negotiation. This option
    is necessary if the PPP peer requires authentication. The default value
    is the value returned by the gethostname(2) system call or the
    hostname(1) command.

    MicroSoft Compatibility Options
    ms-dns address

    Set the MS DNS address to provide to the peer. First occurrence of this
    option on the command line sets the primary address; the second
    occurrence sets the secondary address.
    ms-nbns address

    Set the MS NBNS address to provide to the peer. First occurrence of this
    option on the command line sets the primary address; the second
    occurrence sets the secondary address.

    Encryption Options

    Encryption is not currently available in software exported from the USA.
    However, customer may contact sales@progressive-systems.com to obtain
    encryption functionality.
    Link Compression Options
    compress

    Offer all supported link compression types (currently only Predictor-1)
    when negotiating. The default is to propose and accept no link
    compression type.
    compress-pred1

    Accept any supported compression type, but prefer Predictor type 1
    compression.
    nopred1

    Never use Predictor-1 compression.

    LOG FILE

    Status information is recorded in the log file (/var/adm/pppd.log by
    default) by each copy of pppd running on a single machine. Each line in
    the file consists of a message preceded by the date, the time, and the
    process ID number of the daemon writing the message. The quantity and
    verbosity of messages are controlled with the debug option and with the
    log filter (see ppp.Filter(4)).

    Each packet that brings up the link (at debug level 1 or more), each
    packet that matches the log filter (at any debug level), or any packet
    when the debug level is 7 or more writes a one-line description of the
    packet to the log file. The first item of the message is the protocol
    (tcp, udp, icmp, or a numeric protocol value ). For ICMP packets, the
    keyword icmp is followed by the ICMP message type and sub code,
    separated by slashes. After the protocol comes an IP address and
    optionally a TCP or UDP port number, followed by an arrow indicating
    whether the packet was sent (->) or received (<-), followed by another
    address and port number, followed by the length of the packet in bytes
    before VJ TCP header compression, followed by zero or more keywords. For
    transmitted packets, the first IP address is the source address, while
    for received packets, the first IP address is the destination address.
    Well known TCP and UDP port numbers will be replaced by the name
    returned by the getservbyport() library function. The keywords and their
    meanings are:
    frag

    The packet is a middle or later part of a fragmented IP frame.
    syn

    The packet has the TCP SYN bit set.
    fin

    The packet has the TCP FIN bit set.
    bringup

    The transmitted packet matches the bringup filter and is bringing up the
    link.
    !keepup

    the packet has been rejected by the keepup filter.
    !pass

    The packet has been rejected by the pass filter.
    dial failed

    The packet was dropped because pppd is waiting for the call retry timer
    to expire.
    (c)

    The received packet is VJ TCP header compressed.
    (u)

    The received packet is VJ TCP header uncompressed.

    For example, the following log file line

    9/6-14:06:26-83 tcp 63.1.6.3/1050 -> 8.1.1.9/smtp 44 syn

    indicates that at 2:06:26 PM on September 6, process ID 83 sent a
    44-byte TCP packet with the SYN bit set from port 1050 on 63.1.6.3 to
    the SMTP port on 8.1.1.9.
    SIGNALS

    Upon reception of the following signals, pppd closes and reopens the log
    file, re-reads the filter and key files, then takes the indicated actions:
    SIGKILL

    Don't use this. Never, never use this. Since pppd won't be able to shut
    down gracefully, it will leave your serial interfaces (whether /dev/tty)
    and your IP tunnel driver in some unknown state. Use SIGTERM instead, so
    pppd will shut down cleanly, and leave the system in a well-defined state.
    SIGINT

    Disconnect gracefully from an active session. If in `autocall' mode,
    reset the call retry delay timer and call retry backoff interval. If up
    was specified, attempt to re-establish the link. Exit if not in
    `autocall' mode.
    SIGHUP

    Disconnect abruptly from an active session. If up was specified, attempt
    to re-establish the link. Exit if not in `autocall' mode.
    SIGTERM

    Disconnect gracefully from an active session, clean up the state of any
    serial and IP interfaces that are open, then exit.
    SIGUSR1

    Increment the verbosity level for debugging information written to the
    log file.
    SIGUSR2

    Reset the debugging verbosity level to the base value (1 unless debug 0
    was supplied on the command line).
    SIGALRM

    Take no action except to re-read the filter and key files.

    EXAMPLE

    To run a pair of daemons on `oursystem', one maintaining a constant link
    with `backbonesystem' and the other prepared to initiate outbound calls
    to a neighboring machine named `theirsystem', add the following to
    /sbin/rc2.d/S522ppp:

    if [ -f /etc/ppp/Autostart ]; then
    /etc/ppp/Autostart
    fi

    Then make /etc/ppp/Autostart look like this:

    #!/bin/sh

    PATH=/usr/etc:/bin:/usr/bin

    if [ -f /var/adm/pppd.log ]; then
    mv /var/adm/pppd.log /var/adm/OLDpppd.log
    fi

    echo -n "Starting PPP daemons:" >/dev/console

    pppd oursystem:backbonesystem auto up
    (echo -n ' backbonesystem') >/dev/console
    pppd oursystem:theirsystem auto idle 120
    (echo -n ' theirsystem') >/dev/console

    echo '.' >/dev/console

    To allow a PPP implementation running on `theirsystem' to dial into
    `oursystem', insert the following into /etc/passwd on `oursystem':

    Pthem:?:105:20:Their PPP:/etc/ppp:/etc/ppp/Login

    where group 20 is the gid of the ppp group which owns /usr/etc/pppd, and
    /etc/ppp/Login is an executable shell script that looks something like

    #!/bin/sh
    PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/etc:/bin
    mesg n
    stty -tostop
    exec pppd `hostname`:
    RECOMMENDATIONS

    Use host names when running /etc/ppp/Autostart from /sbin/rc2.d/S522ppp
    only if they are known locally. If a PPP connection to a DNS server
    would be required to resolve a host name, use its literal IP address
    instead.
    EXTERNAL INFLUENCES

    Environment Variables

    The environment variable PPPHOME, if present, specifies the directory in
    which pppd looks for its configuration files (Filter and Auth for all
    connections, along with Systems, Devices, and Dialers if the connection
    is `outbound'). You can specify PPPHOME either in the Autostart script
    or in an incoming connection's Login script. If PPPHOME is not present,
    pppd will expect to find its configuration files in /etc/ppp/*.
    SECURITY CONCERNS

    pppd should be mode 4750, owned by root, and executable only by the
    members of the group containing all the incoming PPP login `users'.
    AUTHOR

    pppd was developed by the Progressive Systems.
    SEE ALSO

    tun(4), ppp.Auth(4), ppp.Devices(4), ppp.Dialers(4), ppp.Filter(4),
    ppp.Keys(4), ppp.Systems(4), RFC 1548, RFC 1549, RFC 1332, RFC 1333, RFC
    1334, RFC 1172, RFC 1144, RFC 1055,
    ds.internic.net:/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pppext-compression-04.txt.
    STANDARDS CONFORMANCE

    HP PPP implements the IETF Proposed Standard Point-to-Point Protocol and
    many of its options and extensions, in conformance with RFCs 1548, 1549,
    1332, 1333, 1334, and 1144. It can be configured to be conformant with
    earlier specifications of the PPP protocol, as described in RFCs 1134,
    1171, and 1172. It implements the nonstandard SLIP protocol as described
    in RFCs 1055 and 1144.

    --
    Cheers, http://www.dotware.co.uk
    Jim http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    Unix Sex: { look; find; talk; grep; touch; finger; find; flex; unzip;
    mount; workbone; fsck; yes; gasp; fsck; yes; eject; umount; makeclean;
    zip; split; done; exit }

  3. Re: Actius MM10 modem

    Hi Jim,
    thanks for the answer. I am in the US (just using an old german account
    when posting in newsgroups), so it has nothing to do with the German
    communication system.

    "wait for dialtone" is enabled - is that what you mean by "call
    waiting"?
    And what is the "originator-mask"? Where can I configure this?
    Sorry, I am not too familiar with Redhat, usually I use another
    distribution where I never had problems with the connection.

    I'll post some more logging output later.
    Thanks!
    Jan

    Jim wrote:

    > Not knowing much about the German telecommunications system, I'll throw
    > a few ideas at you.
    >
    > Did you disable call waiting?
    > Did you disable originator-mask?
    > Is your modem configured for the German telecommunications system? (for
    > some reason, most dialers/modem controllers default to the US system -
    > in most countries, using out of bounds dialling mechanisms is illegal(!))

  4. Re: Actius MM10 modem

    jan.a@gmx.de wrote:
    > Hi Jim,
    > thanks for the answer. I am in the US (just using an old german account
    > when posting in newsgroups), so it has nothing to do with the German
    > communication system.
    >
    > "wait for dialtone" is enabled - is that what you mean by "call
    > waiting"?
    > And what is the "originator-mask"? Where can I configure this?
    > Sorry, I am not too familiar with Redhat, usually I use another
    > distribution where I never had problems with the connection.
    >
    > I'll post some more logging output later.
    > Thanks!
    > Jan
    >
    > Jim wrote:
    >
    >>Not knowing much about the German telecommunications system, I'll throw
    >>a few ideas at you.
    >>
    >>Did you disable call waiting?
    >>Did you disable originator-mask?
    >>Is your modem configured for the German telecommunications system? (for
    >>some reason, most dialers/modem controllers default to the US system -
    >>in most countries, using out of bounds dialling mechanisms is illegal(!))

    Call waiting is dependent on your carrier, ie in the UK it's a 4-digit
    prefix, 1470, to disable it while dialing up. Originator mask is also
    dependent on carrier, ask your carrier what the codes to disable these
    are (if you have them) and what order they should go in for dialing up
    an ISP, as very few if any providers will actually allow a connection
    from a masked number, and of course the consequences of a call waiting
    beep coming through while you're online...

    --
    Cheers, http://www.dotware.co.uk
    Jim http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    Unix Sex: { look; find; talk; grep; touch; finger; find; flex; unzip;
    mount; workbone; fsck; yes; gasp; fsck; yes; eject; umount; makeclean;
    zip; split; done; exit }

  5. Re: Actius MM10 modem

    Jim wrote:
    > jan.a@gmx.de wrote:
    >> I am trying to make the modem of the Sharp Actius MM10 notebook work
    >> with Redhat Linux.
    >> The modem driver seems to work, since up to CONNECT everythingseems to
    >> work:
    >> ATZ
    >> OK
    >> ATMIL1
    >> OK
    >> ATDT1000
    >> CONNECT 34666 V42bis
    >>
    >> Then however Kppp fails, telling me that "pppd exited with return value
    >> 16".
    >> Did anyone succeed to get the modem working on this laptop, or any
    >> ideas what is going wrong?
    >> Some log messages are attached below.
    >> Thanks in advance!!
    >>
    >> ---
    >>
    >> Jun 17 16:26:12 localhost pppd[4627]: pppd 2.4.2 started by root, uid 0
    >> Jun 17 16:26:12 localhost pppd[4627]: Using interface ppp0
    >> Jun 17 16:26:12 localhost pppd[4627]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
    >> Jun 17 16:26:30 localhost pppd[4627]: PAP authentication succeeded
    >> Jun 17 16:26:30 localhost pppd[4627]: kernel does not support PPP
    >> filtering

    Didn't anyone notice this? You need to either enable ppp packet
    filtering in the kernel, or disable packet filtering in pppd. I had
    the same problem and chose to rebuild pppd without packet filtering.

    Jerry
    ---snip---

+ Reply to Thread