installing linux - Portable

This is a discussion on installing linux - Portable ; hello all !! please advise me on installing linux on my machine, as i have tried earlier with suse and redhat, there was a problem with the display settings,the display driver SiS M760 was not supported by both of them. ...

  1. installing linux

    hello all !!

    please advise me on installing linux on my machine, as i have tried
    earlier with suse and redhat, there was a problem with the display
    settings,the display driver SiS M760 was not supported by both of them.
    Can anyone advic me on this
    here are my system specs:

    System
    Processor
    Model : 1x Mobile AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2800+
    Speed : 798MHz
    Model Number : 2800 (estimated)
    Performance Rating : PR1197 (estimated)
    Type : Ultra-Low Power
    L2 On-board Cache : 256kB ECC Synchronous, Write-Back, 16-way set, 64
    byte line size
    Mainboard
    Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI CardBus USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
    MP Support : 2 CPU(s)
    MP APIC : No
    System BIOS : American Megatrends Inc. 080011
    System : FUJITSU SIEMENS Amilo A 1640
    Mainboard : Uniwill 255KI / 259KI Series
    Total Memory : 480MB DDR-SDRAM
    Chipset 1
    Model : Fujitsu Siemens Computers SiS760 Athlon 64 CPU to PCI Bridge
    Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 800MHz (1600MHz data rate)
    Chipset 2
    Model : Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon 64 / Opteron HyperTransport
    Technology
    Configuration
    Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 800MHz (1600MHz data rate)
    Total Memory : 512MB DDR-SDRAM
    Memory Bus Speed : 2x 159MHz (318MHz data rate)
    Video System
    Monitor/Panel : Plug and Play Monitor
    Monitor/Panel : Default Monitor
    Adapter : SiS M760
    Physical Storage Devices

    Hard Disk : FUJITSU MHT2040AT (37GB)
    CD-ROM/DVD : _NEC DVD+-RW ND-6500A (CD 24X Rd, 24X Wr) (DVD 3X Rd, 3X
    Wr)
    Logical Storage Devices

    Peripherals
    Serial/Parallel Port(s) : 1 COM / 0 LPT
    USB Controller/Hub : SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    USB Controller/Hub : SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    USB Controller/Hub : SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
    USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
    USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
    USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub

    FireWire/1394 Controller/Hub : Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE
    1394 Host Controller

    PCMCIA/CardBus Controller : O2Micro OZ711Mx MemoryCardBus Accelerator
    PCMCIA/CardBus Controller : O2Micro OZ711M1 MemoryCardBus Controller
    PCMCIA/CardBus Controller : O2Micro OZ711M1 MemoryCardBus Controller

    Keyboard : PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key)
    Mouse : PS/2 Compatible Mouse

    MultiMedia Device(s)
    Device : Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver (WDM)
    Communication Device(s)
    Device : Smart Link 56K Modem
    Printers and Faxes

    Power Management
    AC Line Status : On-Line
    Operating System(s)
    Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Home (Win32 x86) 5.01.2600
    (Service Pack 2)
    Network Services
    Adapter : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

    thnx.

  2. Re: installing linux

    On 18 Jun 2005 13:02:08 -0700, eSunny staggered into the Black Sun and
    said:
    > please advise me on installing linux on my machine, as i have tried
    > earlier with suse and redhat, there was a problem with the display
    > settings, the display driver SiS M760 was not supported by [either] of
    > them.

    Which version of SuSE? Which version of Redhat? This is important.
    The SiS M760 is a fairly new chipset AFAICT, so if you tried to install
    something ancient, like Redhat 9 or SuSE 8.0, I'm not surprised that it
    didn't work. Xorg 6.8.2 or 6.8.0 (the X supplied with the latest SuSE
    and Fedora Core 3 or 4) say that they support the SiS M760 with the
    "sis" X module.

    > Model : 1x Mobile AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2800+ Speed : 798MHz

    Eh? Those don't match up. An Athlon XP 2000 runs at ~1666 MHz
    according to /proc/cpuinfo, so this Sempron 2800 shouldn't be running at
    ~800 MHz unless you've got some ACPI throttling going on. What did you
    mean here?

    > MP APIC : No

    If your board supports APIC, go ahead and turn it on. Having more IRQs
    can be a good thing.

    > System : FUJITSU SIEMENS Amilo A 1640

    Is this the make and model of the {laptop,desktop}? Is this a laptop?
    If it's a desktop, then the question doesn't really belong in
    col.portable.

    > Total Memory : 480MB DDR-SDRAM
    > Total Memory : 512MB DDR-SDRAM

    Which is it? If the SiS M760 is one of those @#$%^ing chips that uses
    "shared video memory" (i.e. "steals 32M of system RAM instead of having
    dedicated VRAM") then that blows. Well, you don't always get to choose
    your graphics chipset on a laptop.

    > Device : Smart Link 56K Modem

    This may be a LoseModem. Find out what lspci says it is and report
    it--brand names and the Windows Device Mangler can and will lie like
    rugs when it comes to modems and soundcards.

    > Adapter : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

    This should be supported with the sis900 module. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  3. Re: installing linux

    Hmm.
    Is this a Walmart "whitebox"?
    I'm working w/ one just now.

    Dances With Crows wrote:

    > On 18 Jun 2005 13:02:08 -0700, eSunny staggered into the Black Sun and
    > said:
    >> please advise me on installing linux on my machine, as i have tried
    >> earlier with suse and redhat, there was a problem with the display
    >> settings, the display driver SiS M760 was not supported by [either] of
    >> them.

    > Which version of SuSE? Which version of Redhat? This is important.
    > The SiS M760 is a fairly new chipset AFAICT, so if you tried to install
    > something ancient, like Redhat 9 or SuSE 8.0, I'm not surprised that it
    > didn't work. Xorg 6.8.2 or 6.8.0 (the X supplied with the latest SuSE
    > and Fedora Core 3 or 4) say that they support the SiS M760 with the
    > "sis" X module.
    >
    >> Model : 1x Mobile AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2800+ Speed : 798MHz

    > Eh? Those don't match up. An Athlon XP 2000 runs at ~1666 MHz
    > according to /proc/cpuinfo, so this Sempron 2800 shouldn't be running at
    > ~800 MHz unless you've got some ACPI throttling going on. What did you
    > mean here?
    >
    >> MP APIC : No

    > If your board supports APIC, go ahead and turn it on. Having more IRQs
    > can be a good thing.
    >
    >> System : FUJITSU SIEMENS Amilo A 1640

    > Is this the make and model of the {laptop,desktop}? Is this a laptop?
    > If it's a desktop, then the question doesn't really belong in
    > col.portable.
    >
    >> Total Memory : 480MB DDR-SDRAM
    >> Total Memory : 512MB DDR-SDRAM

    > Which is it? If the SiS M760 is one of those @#$%^ing chips that uses
    > "shared video memory" (i.e. "steals 32M of system RAM instead of having
    > dedicated VRAM") then that blows. Well, you don't always get to choose
    > your graphics chipset on a laptop.
    >
    >> Device : Smart Link 56K Modem

    > This may be a LoseModem. Find out what lspci says it is and report
    > it--brand names and the Windows Device Mangler can and will lie like
    > rugs when it comes to modems and soundcards.
    >
    >> Adapter : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

    > This should be supported with the sis900 module. HTH,

+ Reply to Thread