Acer Travlemate...rocks! (US) - Portable

This is a discussion on Acer Travlemate...rocks! (US) - Portable ; Just got an Acer Travelmate (3255) for running potable LAMP development. After browsing around at the internet and seeing reasonably favorable thingas about it (also there are Linux Acer laptops available outside the US) it also falling well within the ...

  1. Acer Travlemate...rocks! (US)

    Just got an Acer Travelmate (3255) for running potable LAMP
    development.

    After browsing around at the internet and seeing reasonably favorable
    thingas about it (also there are Linux Acer laptops available outside
    the US) it also falling well within the sub $1000 price range, I took
    the plunge and got one. It arrived yesterday, nice basic frills on
    this model, 1.4Ghx Celeron M, 400mghz FSB, Intel Video chipset, AC97
    sound, 15" display, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD, Win XP Pro, USB, VGA ext,
    integrated 802.11g 10/100 BaseT, modem, and a PC type 1 slot were the
    bulk of the IO, does have a CD-RW/DVD combo drive though. What many
    may find lacking would be parallel, serial, and TV out.

    Now the cool bit, I was all geared up ready to battle Windows to eake
    out a portion of the hard drive for Linux only to discover IT'S ALREADY
    PARTITIONED Right down the center, 30 gigs for Windows and 30 was an
    empty FAT32 partition... Even better, XP was installed on FAT32 too
    (which means Linux can visit anytime)! Installation of Suse 9.2 seems
    to be smooth but I havent got the WLAN setup yet but the card is there,
    I just gotta read the manual better. 3d hardware support seems to be
    working, but also no stats on the speed (LAMP system, not much need for
    that).

    Anyway, just to pass on a positive review for all the fellow shoppers
    out there, hopefully your milage will not vary; but always check the
    stats of any model for yourself.

  2. Re: Acer Travlemate...rocks! (US)

    larry@portcommodore.com wrote:

    > Just got an Acer Travelmate (3255) for running potable LAMP
    > development.
    >
    > After browsing around at the internet and seeing reasonably favorable
    > thingas about it (also there are Linux Acer laptops available outside
    > the US) it also falling well within the sub $1000 price range, I took
    > the plunge and got one. It arrived yesterday, nice basic frills on
    > this model, 1.4Ghx Celeron M, 400mghz FSB, Intel Video chipset, AC97
    > sound, 15" display, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD, Win XP Pro, USB, VGA ext,
    > integrated 802.11g 10/100 BaseT, modem, and a PC type 1 slot were the
    > bulk of the IO, does have a CD-RW/DVD combo drive though. What many
    > may find lacking would be parallel, serial, and TV out.
    >
    > Now the cool bit, I was all geared up ready to battle Windows to eake
    > out a portion of the hard drive for Linux only to discover IT'S ALREADY
    > PARTITIONED Right down the center, 30 gigs for Windows and 30 was an
    > empty FAT32 partition... Even better, XP was installed on FAT32 too
    > (which means Linux can visit anytime)! Installation of Suse 9.2 seems
    > to be smooth but I havent got the WLAN setup yet but the card is there,
    > I just gotta read the manual better. 3d hardware support seems to be
    > working, but also no stats on the speed (LAMP system, not much need for
    > that).
    >
    > Anyway, just to pass on a positive review for all the fellow shoppers
    > out there, hopefully your milage will not vary; but always check the
    > stats of any model for yourself.

    looks like sub-500 material to me ( celeron, intel video etc) maybe you paid
    $500 for windows*pro.

  3. Re: Acer Travlemate...rocks! (US)

    Probably (wish there was some sub-500 linux based ones widely
    available, most 'certified linux' notebooks are listed even higher).
    This one's for work and XP is there for emergencies.

    As for an update - the wireless card seems to not be high of the list
    of the plug it in and go wi-fi cards supported by linux, though from
    what I've read with some work it can be made to operate.

+ Reply to Thread