Toshiba A40 freezes after some hours - Portable

This is a discussion on Toshiba A40 freezes after some hours - Portable ; My toshiba a40 notebook running Gentoo Linux has some problems lately. After some hours of operation (long emerge) it just stops responding. Screen is black, no keyboard/mouse response, network is dead. But it still seems to run full speed, all ...

  1. Toshiba A40 freezes after some hours

    My toshiba a40 notebook running Gentoo Linux has some problems lately.
    After some hours of operation (long emerge) it just stops responding.
    Screen is black, no keyboard/mouse response, network is dead. But it
    still seems to run full speed, all four led's are on, fan is running
    at the same intervals as before. When I force power down/power up, it
    runs fine again after recovering the ext3 journal. I suspect a acpi or
    thermal problem. Any hints how to find the reason?
    Eggert

  2. Re: Toshiba A40 freezes after some hours

    Eggert Ehmke wrote:
    > My toshiba a40 notebook running Gentoo Linux has some problems lately.
    > After some hours of operation (long emerge) it just stops responding.
    > Screen is black, no keyboard/mouse response, network is dead. But it
    > still seems to run full speed, all four led's are on, fan is running
    > at the same intervals as before. When I force power down/power up, it
    > runs fine again after recovering the ext3 journal. I suspect a acpi or
    > thermal problem. Any hints how to find the reason?
    > Eggert

    Laser ranging thermometer comes in handy here (Maplin, 14.99). You can
    take continuous or spot readings without having to take anything apart.
    Laptop tray coolers are effective in dissipating heat, look for the ones
    with underside fans and a flat aluminium plate. The fans run off the USB
    bus, you also get one or two USB ports on the plate. If it turns out to
    be not thermal (which it's sounding like it is), then a quick jump into
    the BIOS settings, disabling ACPI altogether, then in Gentoo disabling
    power saving features, should solve the problem...

    BTW, most laptops now have some sort of throttling feature. Intel
    mobiles have Speedstep, which throttles the processor speed back in
    steps (my P4m goes from 2.0GHz to 500MHz in seven stages). Not sure what
    AMD has, I think they're software controlled clocking.

    --
    Cheers, http://www.dotware.co.uk
    Jim http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    I'm not scared of the man who wants ten nuclear warheads.
    I'm terrified of the man who who wants just one.
    - Dr. Julia Kelly "The Peacemaker"

  3. Re: Toshiba A40 freezes after some hours

    Eggert Ehmke wrote in

    Hmm... It seem's to be a thermal problem. If you don't "emerge" and
    compile, freezes it anyway after a lot of hours of normal use?

    One suggestion. "emerge" with DVD drive door open and see what
    happens.

    Good luck, Anfrank. My toshiba a40 notebook running Gentoo Linux has some
    problems lately.
    > After some hours of operation (long emerge) it just stops responding.
    > Screen is black, no keyboard/mouse response, network is dead. But it
    > still seems to run full speed, all four led's are on, fan is running
    > at the same intervals as before. When I force power down/power up, it
    > runs fine again after recovering the ext3 journal. I suspect a acpi or
    > thermal problem. Any hints how to find the reason?
    > Eggert

  4. Re: Toshiba A40 freezes after some hours

    Evening Eggert,

    On 2005-06-14, Eggert Ehmke wrote:
    > My toshiba a40 notebook running Gentoo Linux has some problems lately.
    > After some hours of operation (long emerge) it just stops responding.
    > Screen is black, no keyboard/mouse response, network is dead. But it
    > still seems to run full speed, all four led's are on, fan is running
    > at the same intervals as before. When I force power down/power up, it
    > runs fine again after recovering the ext3 journal. I suspect a acpi or
    > thermal problem. Any hints how to find the reason?

    Trust me the problem is poor laptop design and overheating. My girlfriend
    has the same laptop and it gives teriible performance.

    Bet you now wish:

    1) you had not installed Gentoo (Debian really is where its at[1])

    2) You bought a Thinkpad :P

    The ACPI is completely borked on the laptop and only if you hacked the DSDT
    (rewrote a big chunk) you could pull off the fan speed but the thermals are
    completely unavailable. The only way to get the temperature is to use the
    'omnibook' module but its rather if you plan to try to write to any of the
    features.

    You will find under Windoze its just as unreliable, the morons at Toshiba
    thought it was a good idea to put a desktop CPU in a laptop and then have the
    fans fire out downwards into your lap/table. Make sure you have plenty of
    ventilation under the laptop and you might want to 'throttle' your laptop
    under linux so the problem is reduced.

    Cheers

    Alex

    [1] http://www.funroll-loops.org/

    [2] http://acpi.sourceforge.net/document...processor.html

    > Eggert

  5. Re: Toshiba A40 freezes after some hours

    Alexander Clouter schrieb:

    >Trust me the problem is poor laptop design and overheating. My girlfriend
    >has the same laptop and it gives teriible performance.

    well but this did not happen before. Is it just we have summer now
    (not too hot here) or is something wrong with the hardware?
    Eggert

  6. Re: Toshiba A40 freezes after some hours

    On 2005-06-15, Eggert Ehmke wrote:
    > Alexander Clouter schrieb:
    >
    >>Trust me the problem is poor laptop design and overheating. My girlfriend
    >>has the same laptop and it gives teriible performance.

    > well but this did not happen before. Is it just we have summer now
    > (not too hot here) or is something wrong with the hardware?

    you did say it yourself, emerge....laptop...overheating....do the math

    Wear and tear on a desktop CPU with poor cooling kills its longevity, I
    remember stumbling across many reports of this with Toshiba laptops (and it
    also appears during my usual quest to ban Dell from the laptop market) and
    found it to be so. You might want to crack the case and clean out the fans
    but you might want to consider that the idea of putting something like
    Gentoo[1] on a laptop in the first place was a rather silly idea anyway.

    If you browse the laptop related Linux HOWTOs and you'll find references to
    "Frankenstein laptops"[2] and that putting a desktop CPU in a laptop with
    poor cooling (and it cannot even use C3 power saving with an ACPI BIOS thats
    only 20% complete) really makes for a nasty problem.\

    If there is still a warranty on it, try to change it....get a Thinkpad and do
    not put Gentoo on *any* laptop you get. Its hard enough now-a-days keeping
    ia32/64 cpu's cool in a desktop, no laptop is designed for 100% CPU use for
    long periods, well maybe except a Tadpole[3]

    Have fun

    Alex

    [1] http://funroll-loops.org/
    [2] although should be more Frankenstein's Monster Laptop
    [3] http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/html/...bullfrog-dual/

    > Eggert

+ Reply to Thread