Dell Inspiron which Linux - Portable

This is a discussion on Dell Inspiron which Linux - Portable ; Hi, everyone. I used Mandrake Linux on a PC about 5 years ago but had to give it up because I needed to use MS Office for work. Now I want to try Linux again, as a dual boot installation, ...

  1. Dell Inspiron which Linux

    Hi, everyone. I used Mandrake Linux on a PC about 5 years ago but had to
    give it up because I needed to use MS Office for work.

    Now I want to try Linux again, as a dual boot installation, on a Dell
    Inspiron 8100 laptop that already has XP Home SP-2 installed. I've not
    followed what is happening in the Linux world and am therefore not
    knowledgeable about the distributions available. Which would be a good
    distribution to use on this laptop?

    My needs are
    a) learning Linux
    b) useable software (MS Office replacements, gimp, dialup internet
    capability, support for networking with XP Pcs, etc.)
    c) Having easy configuration tools ("newbie style").
    d) Easy upgradeability as far as resolving dependencies automatically

    Thanks for any advice.

    --

    Jeff Stevens
    Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

  2. Re: Dell Inspiron which Linux

    Jeff wrote:
    > Hi, everyone. I used Mandrake Linux on a PC about 5 years ago but had to
    > give it up because I needed to use MS Office for work.
    >
    > Now I want to try Linux again, as a dual boot installation, on a Dell
    > Inspiron 8100 laptop that already has XP Home SP-2 installed. I've not
    > followed what is happening in the Linux world and am therefore not
    > knowledgeable about the distributions available. Which would be a good
    > distribution to use on this laptop?
    >
    > My needs are
    > a) learning Linux
    > b) useable software (MS Office replacements, gimp, dialup internet
    > capability, support for networking with XP Pcs, etc.)
    > c) Having easy configuration tools ("newbie style").
    > d) Easy upgradeability as far as resolving dependencies automatically
    >
    > Thanks for any advice.

    I've got Knoppix/Debian 3.8 Custom HDinstalled on my Inspiron 4100.
    Pretty speedy on a 1.0 PIII with 384MB RAM. Everything works with
    minimal configuration. Screen is up to 1152x864 after updating the
    graphics driver (ATI Radeon Mobility 9700 64MB), YMMV on this as Dell do
    love to change the graphics chips model on model (I know, I've got four
    Dell laptops, they all use entirely different chips - one Radeon (on the
    Inspiron), a GF4 MX440 (on a Latitude C840), an Intel Extreme (on a
    Latitude C400) and a Rage 128 M3 (Latitude C610). Most of the time it's
    even possible to activate the slave VGA connection so you can span
    panels, clone, stretch or dualpane. Handy.

    --
    Cheers,

    Jim

    -begin sig-
    http://www.dotware.co.uk |http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or
    insanity, but they've always worked for me.
    -end sig-

  3. Re: Dell Inspiron which Linux

    Thanks for replying.

    Help me understand:

    > I've got Knoppix/Debian 3.8 Custom HDinstalled on my Inspiron 4100.

    Is this a flavor of Knoppix (I thought there was only one Knopix) or do you
    mean you have 2 different distributions installated, Knoppix and also
    Debian?

    --

    Jim wrote:
    > Jeff wrote:
    >> Hi, everyone. I used Mandrake Linux on a PC about 5 years ago but
    >> had to give it up because I needed to use MS Office for work.
    >>
    >> Now I want to try Linux again, as a dual boot installation, on a Dell
    >> Inspiron 8100 laptop that already has XP Home SP-2 installed. I've
    >> not followed what is happening in the Linux world and am therefore
    >> not knowledgeable about the distributions available. Which would be
    >> a good distribution to use on this laptop?
    >>
    >> My needs are
    >> a) learning Linux
    >> b) useable software (MS Office replacements, gimp, dialup internet
    >> capability, support for networking with XP Pcs, etc.)
    >> c) Having easy configuration tools ("newbie style").
    >> d) Easy upgradeability as far as resolving dependencies automatically
    >>
    >> Thanks for any advice.
    >>

    > I've got Knoppix/Debian 3.8 Custom HDinstalled on my Inspiron 4100.
    > Pretty speedy on a 1.0 PIII with 384MB RAM. Everything works with
    > minimal configuration. Screen is up to 1152x864 after updating the
    > graphics driver (ATI Radeon Mobility 9700 64MB), YMMV on this as Dell
    > do love to change the graphics chips model on model (I know, I've got
    > four Dell laptops, they all use entirely different chips - one Radeon
    > (on the Inspiron), a GF4 MX440 (on a Latitude C840), an Intel Extreme
    > (on a Latitude C400) and a Rage 128 M3 (Latitude C610). Most of the
    > time it's even possible to activate the slave VGA connection so you
    > can span panels, clone, stretch or dualpane. Handy.

  4. Re: Dell Inspiron which Linux

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 12:37:46 -0400, Jeff wrote:

    > Hi, everyone. I used Mandrake Linux on a PC about 5 years ago but had to
    > give it up because I needed to use MS Office for work.
    >
    > Now I want to try Linux again, as a dual boot installation, on a Dell
    > Inspiron 8100 laptop that already has XP Home SP-2 installed. I've not
    > followed what is happening in the Linux world and am therefore not
    > knowledgeable about the distributions available. Which would be a good
    > distribution to use on this laptop?
    >
    > My needs are
    > a) learning Linux
    > b) useable software (MS Office replacements, gimp, dialup internet
    > capability, support for networking with XP Pcs, etc.)
    > c) Having easy configuration tools ("newbie style").
    > d) Easy upgradeability as far as resolving dependencies automatically
    >
    > Thanks for any advice.

    Mandrake is still a good choice but I prefer Fedora at the moment. FC4 is
    due to be released on Monday, you might want to give that a try. The test
    releases of FC4 look very promising, it feels noticeably quicker then FC3.

  5. Re: Dell Inspiron which Linux

    Jeff wrote:
    > Thanks for replying.
    >
    > Help me understand:
    >

    >>I've got Knoppix/Debian 3.8 Custom HDinstalled on my Inspiron 4100.

    > Is this a flavor of Knoppix (I thought there was only one Knopix) or do you
    > mean you have 2 different distributions installated, Knoppix and also
    > Debian?

    Knoppix is a flavour of Debian. Knoppix/Debian is the state of Knoppix
    being installed on the HD with a boot entry in the MBR. In this state,
    Knoppix is fully capable of pulling packages from the Debian servers,
    installing them... well, doing pretty much what a full Debian install
    can do as regards the installation.

    The wonderful thing about Knoppix in either CD boot or HD boot is that
    it autodetects and autoconfigures /everything/ [on a Dell laptop {in my
    experience}] so you shouldn't have any real issues with it.

    --
    Cheers,

    Jim

    -begin sig-
    http://www.dotware.co.uk |http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or
    insanity, but they've always worked for me.
    -end sig-

  6. Re: Dell Inspiron which Linux

    Well, I have no answer but a question about dell inspiron 8100 and linux
    mandrake 10. I really don't understand modem configuration. It seems
    that the material is correctly plugin at boot but when I use the
    configuration tool, it doesn't work ?

    Thanks for any help,

    Stéphane

  7. Re: Dell Inspiron which Linux

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:37:45 +0200, Stéphane Paris wrote:

    > Well, I have no answer but a question about dell inspiron 8100 and linux
    > mandrake 10. I really don't understand modem configuration. It seems
    > that the material is correctly plugin at boot but when I use the
    > configuration tool, it doesn't work ?
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    >
    > Stéphane

    Chances are that your modem is a Winmodem, all built in modems are
    winmodems, and most winmodems don't work with Linux. If you still need to
    use a modem get an external modem and make sure that it's a real modem.
    Any serial port modem will work, I'm not sure if all USB modems are real
    modems, you'll have to read the box. If your box doesn't have a serial
    port then get a Keyspan USB to serial adapater (make sure it's a Keyspan,
    the drivers for the Keyspans are built into the kernel, they are a very
    Linux friendly company).

  8. Re: Dell Inspiron which Linux

    My Inspiron 8100 has a modem that does not seem to work under Linux. It is
    a 3Com 56k V.90 Mini PCI Modem Any idea if there is a way to make these
    work under a Debian based (Mepis) distribution?

    Thanks.

    --

    "Dances With Crows" wrote in message
    news:slrndb32h3.ifm.danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows@samant ha.crow202.dyndns.org...
    > On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:03:57 -0400, General Schvantzkoph staggered into
    > the Black Sun and said:
    >> On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:37:45 +0200, Stéphane Paris wrote:
    >>> Well, I have no answer but a question about dell inspiron 8100 and
    >>> linux mandrake 10. I really don't understand modem configuration. It
    >>> seems that the material is correctly plugin at boot but when I use
    >>> the configuration tool, it doesn't work ?

    >> Chances are that your modem is a Winmodem, all built in modems are
    >> winmodems, and most winmodems don't work with Linux.

    > A quick look at http://www.ironorchid.com/jjinux/inspiron_laptop/ says
    > that the Insipron 8100 has a Lucent LoseModem. Those are supported.
    > Check with "lspci | grep Lucent". Stéphane, go to
    > http://www.linmodems.org/ and follow the directions for Lucent. There
    > might even be a Mandrake 10 RPM for the 2 evil binary-only modules you
    > have to install. Do that, then do:
    >
    > modprobe lt_modem
    > modprobe lt_serial
    >
    > ...point your kppp or whatever at /dev/ttyLT0 or make a symlink from
    > /dev/modem that points at /dev/ttyLT0 .
    >
    >> get an external modem and make sure that it's a real modem.

    > External modems are A) expensive B) not nearly as portable. FWIW, the
    > last 2 laptops I've owned (Thinkpad 600X, Thinkpad A22p) have had Lucent
    > LoseModems, and I've never had any problems with them on the rare
    > occasions when I'm somewhere without a real Net connection.
    >
    >> I'm not sure if all USB modems are real modems,

    > Some are, some aren't. It's not worth it to use USB if there's already
    > a Lucent LoseModem built into the laptop. HTH,
    >
    > --
    > Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to
    > see
    > Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin / mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
    > http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!
    > -----------------------------/ http://crow202.dyndns.org/~mhgraham/resume

+ Reply to Thread