Redhat Linux Enterprise and Dell FP2000 - Portable

This is a discussion on Redhat Linux Enterprise and Dell FP2000 - Portable ; Hello, I am running Red Hat Linux Enterprise ES 2.4.21-4 EL on a Dell C840 laptop. The laptop works fine docked or undocked with one exception. When I run it docked, and attach a Dell FP2000 display, Xserver will not ...

  1. Redhat Linux Enterprise and Dell FP2000

    Hello,

    I am running Red Hat Linux Enterprise ES 2.4.21-4 EL on a Dell C840
    laptop. The laptop works fine docked or undocked with one exception. When I
    run it docked, and attach a Dell FP2000 display, Xserver will not recognize
    it. I get garbage on the display. I've tried changing the monitor type to
    Dell FP2000 analog and digital using the display settings as root to no
    avail. The display adapter configured automatically by the O/S is a NVIDIA
    GeForce 4 (generic), and seems to work fine. But I cannot get the laptop to
    recognize the Dell flat panel display at all.

    Does anyone have any ideas? Any help is appreciated.

  2. Re: Redhat Linux Enterprise and Dell FP2000

    Michael J. Carpenter wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am running Red Hat Linux Enterprise ES 2.4.21-4 EL on a Dell C840
    > laptop. The laptop works fine docked or undocked with one exception. When I
    > run it docked, and attach a Dell FP2000 display, Xserver will not recognize
    > it. I get garbage on the display. I've tried changing the monitor type to
    > Dell FP2000 analog and digital using the display settings as root to no
    > avail. The display adapter configured automatically by the O/S is a NVIDIA
    > GeForce 4 (generic), and seems to work fine. But I cannot get the laptop to
    > recognize the Dell flat panel display at all.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas? Any help is appreciated.

    guess what? I'm typing this on an 840!

    The video driver is /too/ generic. The docking station (I don't have one
    so I'm guessing) uses the auxilliary XGA output in the back of the
    laptop for video display; the generic NVidia driver won't run it. The
    driver needs to be specific to the GF4 MX440 (Dell Mobile) 64MB AGP, or
    as close to dammit.

    HTH.

    --
    Cheers,

    Jim

    -begin sig-
    Opinions expressed in this message may or may not be representative of
    the opinions of its author. You decide.
    Linux is not /user-friendly/. It *is* user-friendly. It is not
    ignorant-friendly, nor is it idiot-friendly.

    Web: http://www.dotware.co.uk
    http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    This is a battle of wits, and it is clear you are unarmed.

    -end sig-

+ Reply to Thread