Ubuntu on HP-Compaq NX6110 - Portable

This is a discussion on Ubuntu on HP-Compaq NX6110 - Portable ; Hello NG, I am running Ubuntu-Linux 5.04 on a Hp NX6110, everything works out of the Box but if I try to reboot the Laptop, it hangs. All scripts run without an error message, if "reboot" is called from runlevel ...

  1. Ubuntu on HP-Compaq NX6110

    Hello NG,
    I am running Ubuntu-Linux 5.04 on a Hp NX6110, everything works out of the
    Box but if I try to reboot the Laptop, it hangs.
    All scripts run without an error message, if "reboot" is called from
    runlevel 6 nothing happend and the system hang.

    Any ideas?

    Thank's, Marius.

  2. Re: Ubuntu on HP-Compaq NX6110

    "Marius Sturm" a écrit dans le message de news:
    pan.2005.06.06.12.16.53.567765@fbe.hs-bremen.de...
    > Hello NG,
    > I am running Ubuntu-Linux 5.04 on a Hp NX6110, everything works out of the
    > Box but if I try to reboot the Laptop, it hangs.
    > All scripts run without an error message, if "reboot" is called from
    > runlevel 6 nothing happend and the system hang.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thank's, Marius.

    Hello,

    i am planing about buying this laptop and install Ubuntu too,
    did u have any (hardware) problem installing Ubuntu ?

    Concerning your problem, you could have a look there:
    http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~mjg59/hp.html .
    To sum up, it 's said that you should add reboot=b to the kernel command
    line..

  3. Re: Ubuntu on HP-Compaq NX6110

    Am Sat, 11 Jun 2005 00:29:11 +0200 schrieb titi:

    > i am planing about buying this laptop and install Ubuntu too,
    > did u have any (hardware) problem installing Ubuntu ?
    >
    > Concerning your problem, you could have a look there:
    > http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~mjg59/hp.html .
    > To sum up, it 's said that you should add reboot=b to the kernel command
    > line..

    Hey,
    thanks a lot that solves my problem!

    Yeah the Laptop runs very good with Ubuntu, all hardware is detected at
    installing time so you don't have to configure much by your own.
    The only thing you have to do is updating the Synaptics Touchpad driver
    because the version ships with Ubuntu is much to sensitive.
    For now, only the WinModem does not work but I don't really need it and I
    don't like the binary crap driver, so it is ok for me without a modem.
    Good combination NX-6110 running Ubuntu.

    best regards, Marius.

  4. Re: Ubuntu on HP-Compaq NX6110

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 11:04:36 +0200, Marius Sturm
    dijo:

    >Yeah the Laptop runs very good with Ubuntu, all hardware is detected at
    >installing time so you don't have to configure much by your own.
    >The only thing you have to do is updating the Synaptics Touchpad driver
    >because the version ships with Ubuntu is much to sensitive.
    >For now, only the WinModem does not work but I don't really need it and I
    >don't like the binary crap driver, so it is ok for me without a modem.
    >Good combination NX-6110 running Ubuntu.

    Did your wireless work right after installation, or did you have to
    set it up manually? Either way, what chip is it?

    I have a Compaq R3240 with the Broadcom 4306 wireless. I installed
    Ubuntu 5.04 64-bit and it is great. All except for the wireless, which
    it did not autoconfigure.

    I have found a number of websites which explain how to use ndiswrapper
    to get the wireless working, but I have been using Linux for only a
    couple of weeks and I find the instructions impossible to follow. For
    example --

    http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/Howt...rOnAmd64Ubuntu

    First I tried to use the package the guy listed in the wiki. But I
    have no idea how to install a package, unless it is already included
    in synpatic. I tried to learn how, but after hours of googling and
    puzzling gave up.

    Then I tried to follow his other instructions, but again I failed. For
    example, he says "download the ndiswrapper source from
    ndiswrapper.sf.net. Untar it and go into the ndiswrapper directory and
    from there go to the debian directory. Open all of the control.*
    files." Well, I managed to download the ndiswrapper, but it took me an
    hour of study before I figured out how to untar it. And that gave me
    two files, both .deb files. But I have no idea where the debian
    directory is. I looked everwhere from / forward and couldn't find it.
    At that point I gave up.

    It seems all the instructions are written by people who know what
    they're doing for people who know what they're doing. I've learned a
    great deal about Linux so far, but at the rate I'm going I may have my
    wireless working sometime next year.

    But Ubuntu does rock.

    So I'm interested in success stories about wireless on Broadcom chips,
    with *detailed* instructions that assume the reader barely knows how
    to turn the computer on.

    --
    Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

  5. Re: Ubuntu on HP-Compaq NX6110

    Am Tue, 14 Jun 2005 18:07:16 -0700 schrieb Marek Williams:

    > Did your wireless work right after installation, or did you have to
    > set it up manually? Either way, what chip is it?

    Jepp, it works right after installation, it is a Intel IPW2200.

    > First I tried to use the package the guy listed in the wiki. But I
    > have no idea how to install a package,

    sudo apt-get install
    or
    sudo dpkg -i .deb

    > I looked everwhere from / forward and couldn't find it.
    > At that point I gave up.

    Sorry I don't have experiences with ndiswrapper but I think
    you got the debian package and not the source archive like the Howto says,
    download the right package and you can go on Howto, step by step. After
    untar you have a new directory in actual directory!

    Marius.

  6. Re: Ubuntu on HP-Compaq NX6110

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:12:06 +0200, Marius Sturm wrote:

    > Am Tue, 14 Jun 2005 18:07:16 -0700 schrieb Marek Williams:
    >
    >> Did your wireless work right after installation, or did you have to
    >> set it up manually? Either way, what chip is it?

    > Jepp, it works right after installation, it is a Intel IPW2200.
    >
    >> First I tried to use the package the guy listed in the wiki. But I
    >> have no idea how to install a package,

    > sudo apt-get install
    > or
    > sudo dpkg -i .deb
    >
    >> I looked everwhere from / forward and couldn't find it.
    >> At that point I gave up.

    > Sorry I don't have experiences with ndiswrapper but I think
    > you got the debian package and not the source archive like the Howto says,
    > download the right package and you can go on Howto, step by step. After
    > untar you have a new directory in actual directory!
    >
    > Marius.

    Marek,

    you could 'apt-cache search ndiswrapper', and you'd get a list of
    installable binaries which work perfect. I had to deal with a Broadcom
    WLAN chip in a Dell D800 lately, and for me it was as simple as:

    'apt-get install ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.8-2-386 ndiswrapper-utils'

    Of the Windows driver, you need to copy the .inf and the .sys file
    anywhere (like into /home/marek/windrivers), and point ndiswrapper there
    to find them.

    Maybe all you have to do after that is to 'modprobe ndiswrapper', and
    you're online - at least I was.

    Marius:

    did you manage to buy that nx6110 without Windows, as promised/announced
    by HP? I couldn't find it anywhere in Germany *without* that software from
    Redmond... I know at notebooksbilliger.de (and the like) it's still cheap,
    but for me it's a matter of principle - I don't buy what I don't need/want...

    Kind regards,
    and HTH,
    wjl aka Wolfgang Lonien

  7. Re: Ubuntu on HP-Compaq NX6110

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:12:06 +0200, Marius Sturm wrote:

    > Am Tue, 14 Jun 2005 18:07:16 -0700 schrieb Marek Williams:
    >
    >> [wireless with broadcom]

    > [nx6110]

    Guys,

    forgot: I did it with plain Debian 3.1 "Sarge" instead of Ubuntu - but
    that shouldn't make a big difference at the moment.

    Cheers,
    wjl aka Wolfgang Lonien

  8. Re: Ubuntu on HP-Compaq NX6110

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:18:21 +0200, Wolfgang Lonien
    dijo:

    >forgot: I did it with plain Debian 3.1 "Sarge" instead of Ubuntu - but
    >that shouldn't make a big difference at the moment.

    Wolfgang,

    I have an R3240 with Broadcom 4306 and it is still not
    working. I just got home from a Clinic put on once a month all
    Saturday afternoon by the local Linux Uusers Group. A super-guru was
    helping me, but after three hours we were not successful. Prior to the
    meeting I had bookmarked a lot of sites with instructions and other
    sites with drivers and stuff. The Clinic is held at a local school
    computer lab, so we have lots of bandwidth as well as wireless.

    The computer is running Ubuntu 64-bit. I am a total n00b, but
    already I know I love Ubuntu. Video is gorgeous at 1680 x 1050,
    and was autoconfigured during installation. It also found my home
    ethernet and this Windows computer. Previously I had tried Knoppix
    live, Suse 9.3 from retail package, Fedora Core 3 from DVD in an
    "unleashed" book, and Mandriva 2005 LE downloaded from MandrivaClub.
    None configured the video at anything but VESA 1024 x 768. Suse was
    the only one that found the ethernet and cable modem, but even it
    couldn't see the Windows network. Ubunto ROCKS. However, it did not
    configure the wireless, although neither did any of the others.

    In fact, a few days ago I clicked on a link from ubuntulinux.org to
    cafepress.com and bought an Ubuntu t-shirt. It arrived yesterday, so I
    wore it to the meeting. And two other people there also had Ubuntu
    t-shirts.

    Previously I just gave up and decided to give Linuxant their $20. I
    downloaded the driverloader thingy and went to install it. But the
    installation blew up and gave me an error message about some package
    not being available for my computer. Linuxant doesn't seem to have
    tech support, so I gave up on them.

    While we may not have completely succeeded I learned an
    enormous amount. And we got pretty far. In fact, I think we are
    *extremely* close.

    We succeeded in getting 64-bit ndiswrapper installed. We also
    found 64-bit Broadcom Windows drivers
    (64_bit_Broadcom_54g_Drivers.zip, which unzips to
    BCMWL564.SYS and netbc564.inf). When I do ndiswrapper -l it
    reports "netbx564 driver present, hardware present." But when I do
    modprobe ndiswrapper it gives me --

    FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper(/lib/modules/2.6.10-5-amd64-
    k8/kernel/drivers/misc/ndiswrapper.ko): Unknown symbol in
    module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg).

    When I do dmesg I get --

    ndiswrapper: disagrees about version of symbol
    per_cpu__softnet_data
    ndiswrapper: Unknown symbol per_cpu__softnet_data
    ndiswrapper: disagrees about version of symbol eth_type_trans
    ndiswrapper: Unknown symbol eth_type_trans
    ndiswrapper: disagrees about version of symbol skb_over_panic
    ndiswrapper: Unknown symbol skb_over_panic
    ndiswrapper: disagrees about version of symbol alloc_skb
    ndiswrapper: Unknown symbol alloc_skb
    ndiswrapper: disagrees about version of symbol netif_rx
    ndiswrapper: Unknown symbol netif_rx
    ndiswrapper: disagrees about version of symbol
    __netdev_watchdog_up
    ndiswrapper: Unknown symbol __netdev_watchdog_up
    ndiswrapper: disagrees about version of symbol linkwatch_fire_event
    ndiswrapper: Unknown symbol linkwatch_fire_event ndiswrapper:
    disagrees about version of symbol skb_copy_and_csum_dev ndiswrapper:
    Unknown symbol skb_copy_and_csum_dev ndiswrapper: disagrees about
    version of symbol alloc_etherdev ndiswrapper: Unknown symbol
    alloc_etherdev ndiswrapper: disagrees about version of symbol
    __kfree_skb ndiswrapper: Unknown symbol __kfree_skb

    The kind guru who spent so much time with me thinks that the
    above errors mean that ndiswrapper is having issues with my
    kernel. He says to get the source for ndiswrapper and compile it. He
    also opined that I wouldn't have to compile the kernel because Ubuntu
    probably shows the headers. (I have no idea what any of that means.)

    So here I sit, still no wireless.

    --
    Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

  9. Re: Ubuntu on HP-Compaq NX6110

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 18:46:15 -0700, Marek Williams wrote:

    > On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:18:21 +0200, Wolfgang Lonien
    > dijo:
    >
    >>forgot: I did it with plain Debian 3.1 "Sarge" instead of Ubuntu - but
    >>that shouldn't make a big difference at the moment.

    > The computer is running Ubuntu 64-bit.
    > So here I sit, still no wireless.

    Hmmm ok - I have never tried anything on 64bit until now; I simply don't
    have the hardware - nor would my employer buy one for me ;-)

    Sorry, but I cannot help with ndiswrapper on 64bit.

    Cheers,
    wjl aka Wolfgang Lonien

  10. Re: Ubuntu on HP-Compaq NX6110

    Am Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:15:42 +0200 schrieb Wolfgang Lonien:

    > did you manage to buy that nx6110 without Windows

    Nope
    but it is good to know that the hardware is supported by linux
    without to much binary driver or wrapper problems, before you pay for it.

    Marius.

  11. Re: Ubuntu on HP-Compaq NX6110

    Am Sat, 18 Jun 2005 18:46:15 -0700 schrieb Marek Williams:

    > ndiswrapper: disagrees about version of symbol

    I have no 64-bit hardware too, but that error means that you try to load a
    module that is not compiled for your kernel version.
    So you have to install the right (same version) kernel headers for your
    running kernel, remove all ndis modules do
    depmod -a
    recompile ndis package, install, and again
    depmod -a

    maybe that helps.

    Marius.

+ Reply to Thread