Compaq Contura Aero and 2.6 - Portable

This is a discussion on Compaq Contura Aero and 2.6 - Portable ; Is there any one who have got 2.6 running succesfully on the Aero? [...] hda: 38154MB, CHS=4864/255/63 hda: hda1[EZ1] hda2[EZ2] [...] VFS: Cannot open root device "hda3" or unknown-block(3,3) Please append a correct "root=" boot option Kernel Panic - not ...

  1. Compaq Contura Aero and 2.6

    Is there any one who have got 2.6 running succesfully on the Aero?

    [...]
    hda: 38154MB, CHS=4864/255/63
    hda: hda1[EZ1] hda2[EZ2]
    [...]
    VFS: Cannot open root device "hda3" or unknown-block(3,3)
    Kernel Panic - not syncin: VFS: unable to mount root fs on
    unknown-block(3,3)

    I has based my 2.6 config[1], on Uli's 2.4.23 config[2]. The kernel is
    2.6.11.11 patched with the BadMEM patch (2.6.11)

    Quote from Uli's homepage[3]
    > For the harddisk it was recommended for me to choose the "Enhanced
    > IDE/MFM/RLL disk/cdrom/tape/floppy support". The "Old disk only driver
    > on primary interface" didn't work for me. I also had to check the
    > "Include IDE/ATA-2 DISK support" to make the kernel see my 6 GB
    > harddisk - otherwise it saw only the first partitions.

    I have tried both. It didn't work.

    Any ideas how to ignore the EZ-drive BIOS? I haven't been able to find
    anything on EZ-drive and 2.6, so I don't know if it is a general problem
    with EZ-drive.

    My Aero:
    Compaq Contura Aero 4/33C
    33 mhz
    20 mb ram
    40 gb hdd
    Avaya 802.11b card

    [1] http://asbjorn.it/junk/aero-config
    [2] http://www.ulihansen.kicks-ass.net/aero/linux/config
    [3] http://www.ulihansen.kicks-ass.net/a...tm#configuring

    --
    Best Regards
    Asbjørn Sloth Tønnesen

  2. Re: Compaq Contura Aero and 2.6

    Asbjørn Sloth Tønnesen wrote:
    > Is there any one who have got 2.6 running succesfully on the Aero?
    >
    > [...]
    > hda: 38154MB, CHS=4864/255/63
    > hda: hda1[EZ1] hda2[EZ2]
    > [...]
    > VFS: Cannot open root device "hda3" or unknown-block(3,3)
    > Kernel Panic - not syncin: VFS: unable to mount root fs on
    > unknown-block(3,3)
    >
    > I has based my 2.6 config[1], on Uli's 2.4.23 config[2]. The kernel is
    > 2.6.11.11 patched with the BadMEM patch (2.6.11)
    >
    > Quote from Uli's homepage[3]
    >
    >>For the harddisk it was recommended for me to choose the "Enhanced
    >>IDE/MFM/RLL disk/cdrom/tape/floppy support". The "Old disk only driver
    >>on primary interface" didn't work for me. I also had to check the
    >>"Include IDE/ATA-2 DISK support" to make the kernel see my 6 GB
    >>harddisk - otherwise it saw only the first partitions.

    > I have tried both. It didn't work.
    >
    > Any ideas how to ignore the EZ-drive BIOS? I haven't been able to find
    > anything on EZ-drive and 2.6, so I don't know if it is a general problem
    > with EZ-drive.
    >
    > My Aero:
    > Compaq Contura Aero 4/33C
    > 33 mhz
    > 20 mb ram
    > 40 gb hdd
    > Avaya 802.11b card
    >
    > [1] http://asbjorn.it/junk/aero-config
    > [2] http://www.ulihansen.kicks-ass.net/aero/linux/config
    > [3] http://www.ulihansen.kicks-ass.net/a...tm#configuring
    >
    > --
    > Best Regards
    > Asbjørn Sloth Tønnesen

    From DuxCW.com:

    The answer applies to many recent motherboards... You do not need, and
    should not use the floppy that came with the hard disk for the recent
    motherboards (unless you are going to use EZ to copy stuff from an old
    drive to the new one). Disconnect the CD-ROM from the motherboard and
    power until the hard disk is detected. Pull all boards except video.
    Reload defaults in the CMOS Setup to get rid of all of settings that
    have been attempted. That should set the CMOS to Auto for the drive,
    which is the correct setting. The motherboard should detect the drive
    if everything is working, the drive is jumpered correctly, and the
    cables are installed properly. Smartdrive should be enabled in the CMOS
    Setup (the default is disabled), but the drive will work fine if it
    isn’t. Western Digital drives should not be jumpered for Master unless
    another drive is attached to the same cable as a slave. Remove the
    jumper altogether or put it in the default position, the one it was in
    when the drive was new. That position should be marked on the top of the
    drive and it is the position where the jumper is horizontal when the
    drive is horizontal. I presume the drive is an ATA/66 (or ATA/100)
    drive and you are using the ATA/66 cable that came with the motherboard.
    That cable has an end that is marked “System,” or something like that.
    It goes (must go) to the motherboard IDE1 interface with the Blue (may
    be red) stripe towards Pin 1. The other end (the far end, marked
    “Master,” or something like that, not the connector in between the two
    ends) must be attached to the drive with stripe towards the power
    connector. If the drive is not an ATA/66 drive, the ATA/66 cable will
    work if connected as just prescribed. Make sure both ends of the cable
    are fully seated. And, of course, the power connector must be fully
    seated. Check the pins on it to be sure one isn’t pushed out. If you
    can hear the drive spin-up, power is probably OK. If the drive still
    does not work, you could have a bad motherboard IDE interface, bad
    cable, bad hard disk (most likely), or a screw of or standoff shorting
    the bottom of the motherboard.

    If that doesn't solve things, you might try a DDO such as DiscWizard
    (available for drive-specific download at www.ontrack.com). The generic
    DiscWizard software is payware; the free version is good for IBM/Hitachi
    Deskstars, Travelstars, Seagates, and Maxtors (not sure on Western
    Digital). If you have any of these drives already present in your
    system, the workaround goes thusly:
    1. Disable drive detection for the channel your new (to be formatted)
    drive is on.
    2. Boot using the DiscWizard software. It should detect the new drive
    if you have at least one manufacturer-specified drive present according
    to the software version you downloaded.
    3. Partition and format the new drive using DiscWizard.
    4. Save and exit settings.
    5. Remove floppy and reboot.

    Your new drive should now be picked up by the kernel. It worked for me
    (Knoppix/Debian kernel 2.6.3) with no more issues, on a custom build
    around a Via K5 chipset (Ali Aladdin V Pro board) and a 100GB Seagate
    Medalist U5 drive (which the board natively couldn't even pick up)

    HTH

    --
    Cheers,

    Jim

    -begin sig-
    Opinions expressed in this message may or may not be representative of
    the opinions of its author. You decide.
    Linux is not /user-friendly/. It *is* user-friendly. It is not
    ignorant-friendly, nor is it idiot-friendly.

    Web: http://www.dotware.co.uk
    http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    This is a battle of wits, and it is clear you are unarmed.

    -end sig-

  3. Re: Compaq Contura Aero and 2.6

    On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 12:27 +0000, Jim wrote:
    > [snip]
    >
    > If that doesn't solve things, you might try a DDO such as DiscWizard
    > (available for drive-specific download at www.ontrack.com). The generic
    > DiscWizard software is payware; the free version is good for IBM/Hitachi
    > Deskstars, Travelstars, Seagates, and Maxtors (not sure on Western
    > Digital). If you have any of these drives already present in your
    > system, the workaround goes thusly:
    > 1. Disable drive detection for the channel your new (to be formatted)
    > drive is on.
    > 2. Boot using the DiscWizard software. It should detect the new drive
    > if you have at least one manufacturer-specified drive present according
    > to the software version you downloaded.
    > 3. Partition and format the new drive using DiscWizard.
    > 4. Save and exit settings.
    > 5. Remove floppy and reboot.
    >
    > Your new drive should now be picked up by the kernel. It worked for me
    > (Knoppix/Debian kernel 2.6.3) with no more issues, on a custom build
    > around a Via K5 chipset (Ali Aladdin V Pro board) and a 100GB Seagate
    > Medalist U5 drive (which the board natively couldn't even pick up)

    I think you forget that this machine is 11 years old (1994), and the
    latest BIOS is from '96. It has a RS232 port, from which I get around
    2kbps. And then it has a pcmcia slot. It can boot from the pcmcia floppy
    drive, if present. EZ-drive BIOS is needed because the MBs BIOS can't
    handle more than 6.4 GB disks, it simply fails during boot.

    The setup with EZ-drive works fine in 2.2 and 2.4, but fails in 2.6.

  4. Re: Compaq Contura Aero and 2.6

    Asbjørn Sloth Tønnesen wrote:
    > On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 12:27 +0000, Jim wrote:
    >
    >>[snip]
    >>
    >>If that doesn't solve things, you might try a DDO such as DiscWizard
    >>(available for drive-specific download at www.ontrack.com). The generic
    >>DiscWizard software is payware; the free version is good for IBM/Hitachi
    >>Deskstars, Travelstars, Seagates, and Maxtors (not sure on Western
    >>Digital). If you have any of these drives already present in your
    >>system, the workaround goes thusly:
    >> 1. Disable drive detection for the channel your new (to be formatted)
    >>drive is on.
    >> 2. Boot using the DiscWizard software. It should detect the new drive
    >>if you have at least one manufacturer-specified drive present according
    >>to the software version you downloaded.
    >> 3. Partition and format the new drive using DiscWizard.
    >> 4. Save and exit settings.
    >> 5. Remove floppy and reboot.
    >>
    >>Your new drive should now be picked up by the kernel. It worked for me
    >>(Knoppix/Debian kernel 2.6.3) with no more issues, on a custom build
    >>around a Via K5 chipset (Ali Aladdin V Pro board) and a 100GB Seagate
    >>Medalist U5 drive (which the board natively couldn't even pick up)

    > I think you forget that this machine is 11 years old (1994), and the
    > latest BIOS is from '96. It has a RS232 port, from which I get around
    > 2kbps. And then it has a pcmcia slot. It can boot from the pcmcia floppy
    > drive, if present. EZ-drive BIOS is needed because the MBs BIOS can't
    > handle more than 6.4 GB disks, it simply fails during boot.
    >
    > The setup with EZ-drive works fine in 2.2 and 2.4, but fails in 2.6.

    riiight... as I said (probably didn't make clear) Discwizard is bootable
    software - needs a spanking brand new floppy to run off of (handy that,
    you've got a floppy drive you can boot from, right?). It's
    platform-independent, built on Caldera DR-DOS(!), and pretty well fools
    the BIOS. The overlay itself is just another layer of rubber before the
    road, in that it allows pretty much /any/ board to use pretty much /any/
    capacity drive (which is precisely and exclusively what it's designed to
    do). For an extreme example, I built my first fileserver using a
    486DX/40 and a 40GB hard drive. The 486/Intel motherboard (hard BIOS,
    was one of the last RMA-flash jobs like the 386SLC's) natively couldn't
    see past 2GB. Afterwards, I could boot Windows 3.11 with no problems.

    If everything goes well in the partitioning, on the next boot you should
    see a blue banner right after POST - this is the DW DDO at work
    initialising the overlay. This being in the MBR, you don't want to be
    going lobbing LiLo or grub in there, or you'll be back at square 1.
    Chuck your boot manager into your Linux /boot/ partition instead.

    --
    Cheers,

    Jim

    -begin sig-
    Opinions expressed in this message may or may not be representative of
    the opinions of its author. You decide.
    Linux is not /user-friendly/. It *is* user-friendly. It is not
    ignorant-friendly, nor is it idiot-friendly.

    Web: http://www.dotware.co.uk
    http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    This is a battle of wits, and it is clear you are unarmed.

    -end sig-

+ Reply to Thread