Linux on IPAQ - Portable

This is a discussion on Linux on IPAQ - Portable ; I am considering purchasing a IPAQ and creating a dual boot system. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about running Linux on a IPAQ. I was considering a Sharp Zaurus, but I don't feel it will give me ...

  1. Linux on IPAQ

    I am considering purchasing a IPAQ and creating a dual boot system. I
    was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about running Linux on a IPAQ.
    I was considering a Sharp Zaurus, but I don't feel it will give me the
    flexibilty that I need. The other reason is that Zaurus is not as
    popular so I figure one can get a IPAQ cheaper on Ebay....

    I was also wondering what is a good model to purchase.

  2. Re: Linux on IPAQ

    hizark21@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I am considering purchasing a IPAQ and creating a dual boot system. I
    > was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about running Linux on a IPAQ.
    > I was considering a Sharp Zaurus, but I don't feel it will give me the
    > flexibilty that I need. The other reason is that Zaurus is not as
    > popular so I figure one can get a IPAQ cheaper on Ebay....
    >
    > I was also wondering what is a good model to purchase.

    http://www.handhelds.org will give you all information required.

    Oliver

  3. Re: Linux on IPAQ

    On 4 Jun 2005 21:07:36 -0700, "hizark21@yahoo.com"
    wrote:

    >I am considering purchasing a IPAQ and creating a dual boot system. I
    >was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about running Linux on a IPAQ.

    I don't have any specific comments, but I just used google
    (http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search) to look up
    ipaq linux
    and got 13,300 hits. Way too much for most folks to wade through, but
    you can probably find a better search string for you needs pretty
    quickly.

    I have not paid much attention, but I think dual boot is unlikely.

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
    Boston, MA 02118
    www.penfact.com

  4. Re: Linux on IPAQ

    hizark21@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I am considering purchasing a IPAQ and creating a dual boot system. I
    > was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about running Linux on a IPAQ.
    > I was considering a Sharp Zaurus, but I don't feel it will give me the
    > flexibilty that I need. The other reason is that Zaurus is not as
    > popular so I figure one can get a IPAQ cheaper on Ebay....
    >
    > I was also wondering what is a good model to purchase.

    http://www.handhelds.org

    Opie, Qtopia, GPE, Pixil, Debian...
    A lot of solutions to run Linux on most (old?) iPaq. Btw, nothing as good as
    Pocket PC if you just want to use your iPaq like a PDA. I mean if you want
    to sync with Windows Applications or use the PDA as a first computer (if
    you don't have unix knowledge) you will be in trouble.

    Linux is ready to be a good embedded OS but nobody has done a good and easy
    to use user interface so far. And when you try to convince people or ask
    for help to design one, a few big bad-tempered doorkeepers come to you and
    start "big trolling attacks"!

    Welcome to the 21th century.

    --
    Revenge is a cold meal but... it's so good! So take your time to prepare it!

  5. Re: Linux on IPAQ

    AM Christophe wrote:
    > Opie, Qtopia, GPE, Pixil, Debian...
    > A lot of solutions to run Linux on most (old?) iPaq. Btw, nothing as good as
    > Pocket PC if you just want to use your iPaq like a PDA. I mean if you want
    > to sync with Windows Applications or use the PDA as a first computer (if
    > you don't have unix knowledge) you will be in trouble.
    >
    > Linux is ready to be a good embedded OS but nobody has done a good and easy
    > to use user interface so far. And when you try to convince people or ask
    > for help to design one, a few big bad-tempered doorkeepers come to you and
    > start "big trolling attacks"!
    >
    > Welcome to the 21th century.

    I think Palm will eventually use a Linux based OS if/when they decided
    to implement multitasking. Maybe I'm just hoping

+ Reply to Thread