Laptop Suggestion - Thinkpad? - Portable

This is a discussion on Laptop Suggestion - Thinkpad? - Portable ; Hi there, I will be starting grad school soon. I need to get rid of my linux box which is a 333mhz system - I lasted all my undergrad with that. Anyway, I figure I get a new laptop. I'm ...

  1. Laptop Suggestion - Thinkpad?

    Hi there,

    I will be starting grad school soon. I need to get rid of my linux box
    which is a 333mhz system - I lasted all my undergrad with that.
    Anyway, I figure I get a new laptop.

    I'm looking for a laptop that is under 1,500 dollars and is resonably
    thin. Also, I'm looking for wi-fi, 512mb memory, 1.2 ghz.

    I will be doing rudimentary programming on this system - so I don't
    need anything that relates to gaming. I've come across the Thinkpad and
    I've really liked the system. Only problem, there are millions of
    thinkpads.

    Anyone have any suggestions in regards to which thinkpad or computer I
    should select off their experience?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Laptop Suggestion - Thinkpad?

    On 4 Jun 2005 10:37:50 -0700, akastosmed@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >I will be starting grad school soon. I need to get rid of my linux box
    >which is a 333mhz system - I lasted all my undergrad with that.
    >Anyway, I figure I get a new laptop.
    >
    >I'm looking for a laptop that is under 1,500 dollars and is resonably
    >thin. Also, I'm looking for wi-fi, 512mb memory, 1.2 ghz.
    >
    >I will be doing rudimentary programming on this system - so I don't
    >need anything that relates to gaming. I've come across the Thinkpad and
    >I've really liked the system. Only problem, there are millions of
    >thinkpads.
    >
    >Anyone have any suggestions in regards to which thinkpad or computer I
    >should select off their experience?

    I have an R40 that is a couple of years old, and a new T43. I like
    them both quite well. The R40 is the "value" unit - lots of features,
    relatively low price, and fairly heavy. The T43 is lighter, faster,
    and lacks a few things - IEEE 1394, bluetooth in my particular unit -
    and is more expensive.

    A quick look at IBM's current offerings:
    http://www-131.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/st...-840&langId=-1
    (view all models in each line)
    shows that the R series probably comes in just below your price point
    and T series just above with the features that you want.

    HOWEVER - when I bought the T43, the phone sales person discounted
    it $200 below the express price just for asking Tell sales that
    you are a starving student...

    IMNSHO, stick with Centrino and 3 year warranty. Unfortunately, I
    have needed IBM service twice, but both times they had FedEx at my
    door the next day with a shipping box, and the driver waited while
    I packed up the unit. Had it back 48hrs later.

    IBM also gives you a 30 day "no fault" return if you don't like the
    unit. This is one reason I buy direct from IBM rather than through
    someone like NewEgg. No knock on NE, but IBM will take the unit back
    w/even one bad pixel ("no fault") but NewEgg won't.

    (the above was true when I bought mine, please verify)

    Just my $.02 worth,

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  3. Re: Laptop Suggestion - Thinkpad?

    akastosmed@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I will be starting grad school soon. I need to get rid of my linux box
    > which is a 333mhz system - I lasted all my undergrad with that.
    > Anyway, I figure I get a new laptop.
    >
    > I'm looking for a laptop that is under 1,500 dollars and is resonably
    > thin. Also, I'm looking for wi-fi, 512mb memory, 1.2 ghz.
    >
    > I will be doing rudimentary programming on this system - so I don't
    > need anything that relates to gaming. I've come across the Thinkpad and
    > I've really liked the system. Only problem, there are millions of
    > thinkpads.
    >
    > Anyone have any suggestions in regards to which thinkpad or computer I
    > should select off their experience?
    >
    > Thanks!

    if you can get your paws on one, a Dell Latitude C400, or an Inspiron
    4100. Specs of my particular pair follow:

    Dell Latitude C400 subnote:
    1.4GHz PIIIm
    slim chassis, hence USB FDD, Iomega Predator USB CDRW
    512MB RAM
    40GB HDD
    12" TFT XGA panel (1024x768) on Intel Extreme
    wireless via Edimax 11c PCMCIA card
    1xPCMCIA, 1xUSB
    cost me: GB£245 two years ago

    Dell Inspiron 4100:
    1.4GHz PIIIm
    2xDell Module bays, 2 batteries, DVD/CDRW combo, FDD
    512MB RAM
    20GB HDD
    14" TFT XGA panel (1152x864) on Radeon Mobility 9600 mobile AGP
    wireless via MiniPCI 54g
    2xPCMCIA, 1xUSB
    cost me: GB£100 three weeks ago

    I use the 2 batteries and other accessories from my other Dell laptop, a
    C840, with the Inspiron, which basically means I can be out all day
    without a power brick and not have to worry about running out of power.

    --
    Cheers,

    Jim

    -begin sig-
    Opinions expressed in this message may or may not be representative of
    the opinions of its author. You decide.
    Linux is not /user-friendly/. It *is* user-friendly. It is not
    ignorant-friendly, nor is it idiot-friendly.

    Web: http://www.dotware.co.uk
    http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    This is a battle of wits, and it is clear you are unarmed.

    -end sig-

  4. Re: Laptop Suggestion - Thinkpad?

    akastosmed@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I will be starting grad school soon. I need to get rid of my linux box
    > which is a 333mhz system - I lasted all my undergrad with that.
    > Anyway, I figure I get a new laptop.
    >
    > I'm looking for a laptop that is under 1,500 dollars and is resonably
    > thin. Also, I'm looking for wi-fi, 512mb memory, 1.2 ghz.

    IBM ThinkPads have tended to be good. Now that Levono owns the line, we'll
    have to see what happens, but given that they're a Chinese company and
    China is pushing Linux, hopefully they'll ensure compatibility.

  5. Re: Laptop Suggestion - Thinkpad?

    On Saturday 04 June 2005 10:37, akastosmed@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I will be starting grad school soon. I need to get rid of my linux box
    > which is a 333mhz system - I lasted all my undergrad with that.
    > Anyway, I figure I get a new laptop.
    >
    > I'm looking for a laptop that is under 1,500 dollars and is resonably
    > thin. Also, I'm looking for wi-fi, 512mb memory, 1.2 ghz.
    >
    > I will be doing rudimentary programming on this system - so I don't
    > need anything that relates to gaming. I've come across the Thinkpad
    > and I've really liked the system. Only problem, there are millions of
    > thinkpads.
    >
    > Anyone have any suggestions in regards to which thinkpad or computer I
    > should select off their experience?

    Take a look on eBay for used X-series (X20, 21, 22, 23, 24) Thinkpads.
    Very light. About 3.5 lbs. Other than a HD, no other internal drives.
    You either use external USB ones or get an IBM media base (not the
    dock) that holds them, and is removable when you don't need it. 13"
    screen, 1024x768, 24-bit color. Full-size keyboard. Makes for easy
    typing. The X-24 is 1.06 to 1.13 MHz. Average going price on eBay is
    about $500 or so in Excellent condition. Sometimes that includes a
    mediabase with DVD or CD-RW and floppy. The X-23 is around 800 MHz.
    They go for about $400.

    --
    Stefan Patric
    NoLife Polymath Group

  6. Re: Laptop Suggestion - Thinkpad?

    akastosmed@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I will be starting grad school soon. I need to get rid of my linux box
    > which is a 333mhz system - I lasted all my undergrad with that.
    > Anyway, I figure I get a new laptop.
    >
    > I'm looking for a laptop that is under 1,500 dollars and is resonably
    > thin. Also, I'm looking for wi-fi, 512mb memory, 1.2 ghz.
    >
    > I will be doing rudimentary programming on this system - so I don't
    > need anything that relates to gaming. I've come across the Thinkpad and
    > I've really liked the system. Only problem, there are millions of
    > thinkpads.
    >
    > Anyone have any suggestions in regards to which thinkpad or computer I
    > should select off their experience?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Hi,

    You should contact the school you will be doing your Grad work at. To see
    what they recommend. If you plan on accessing the schools servers/machines,
    they may restrict your access if you don't have minimum system requirements
    that they require.

    --
    Regards and Godspeed,
    Gary

    The magic is in the Magician not the wand!

  7. Re: Laptop Suggestion - Thinkpad?

    gary wrote:

    > You should contact the school you will be doing your Grad work at. To see
    > what they recommend. If you plan on accessing the schools
    > servers/machines, they may restrict your access if you don't have minimum
    > system requirements that they require.

    Some even insist you buy the computer from them!

  8. Re: Laptop Suggestion - HP pavilion

    I find HP/CPQ laptops have good support for linux - I owned one cpq presario
    and now I own HP pavilion.

    For both, All h/w works, incl modem (conexant chipset).

    I have the dv1000 series - good support but I wouldn't recommend this
    laptop. It has intel onboard vide - 3d accel works but not ideal for
    gaming ( centrino, incl WPA encryption works great with mandriva 2005).

    Try their newer ones with AMD turion/sepron chips. They have radeon cards
    ( though low-end still far superior to intel extreme graphics).

    Otherwise, look for an averatek with sempron/athlon and make sure it has
    S3/Unichrome video card and NOT SIS. The latter has no 3D h/w acceleration
    support AFAIK.

    Overall, these offer good linux support and value.

    Some toshiba models also are good.

+ Reply to Thread