Back light doesn't turn off - Portable

This is a discussion on Back light doesn't turn off - Portable ; I have a ThinkPad R31, running SuSE 9.3. One thing I've noticed, it that when the screen blanks, after a period of inactivity, the back light stays on, unlike in Window, where it turns off. Is there any way to ...

  1. Back light doesn't turn off

    I have a ThinkPad R31, running SuSE 9.3. One thing I've noticed, it that
    when the screen blanks, after a period of inactivity, the back light stays
    on, unlike in Window, where it turns off. Is there any way to get the back
    light to turn off, when it's not needed?

    tnx jk

  2. Re: Back light doesn't turn off

    James Knott wrote:
    > I have a ThinkPad R31, running SuSE 9.3. One thing I've noticed, it that
    > when the screen blanks, after a period of inactivity, the back light stays
    > on, unlike in Window, where it turns off. Is there any way to get the back
    > light to turn off, when it's not needed?
    >
    > tnx jk

    I had the same problem with my Dell C600, here's the relevant part of
    my xorg.conf.

    In ServerLayout:

    # first blank the screen, then turn off backlight 1 min later
    Option "BlankTime" "11" # doesn't turn off backlight
    # Option "StandbyTime" "10" # doesn't turn off backlight
    # Option "SuspendTime" "11" # doesn't turn off backlight
    Option "OffTime" "12" # Turns off backlight

    I also have a script which turns off the backlight anytime I want:

    #! /bin/sh
    ##
    ## Turn off the backlight.
    ##
    sleep 1
    xset dpms force off

    Jerry

  3. Re: Back light doesn't turn off

    On 2005-05-24, James Knott wrote:
    > I have a ThinkPad R31, running SuSE 9.3. One thing I've noticed, it that
    > when the screen blanks, after a period of inactivity, the back light stays
    > on, unlike in Window, where it turns off. Is there any way to get the back
    > light to turn off, when it's not needed?

    usually all you need to do is make sure your 'Monitor' in your
    xorg.conf/XF86Config-4 file has the DPMS line:

    -----------
    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Generic Monitor"
    HorizSync 30-67
    VertRefresh 50-75
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection
    -----------

    Does that give you any joy?

    Cheers

    Alex

  4. Re: Back light doesn't turn off

    Jerry Peters wrote:

    > I had the same problem with my Dell C600, here's the relevant part of
    > my xorg.conf.
    >
    > In ServerLayout:
    >
    > # first blank the screen, then turn off backlight 1 min later
    > Option "BlankTime" "11" # doesn't turn off backlight
    > # Option "StandbyTime" "10" # doesn't turn off backlight
    > # Option "SuspendTime" "11" # doesn't turn off backlight
    > Option "OffTime" "12" # Turns off backlight

    Unfortunately, it didn't work. :-(

  5. Re: Back light doesn't turn off

    Alexander Clouter wrote:

    > usually all you need to do is make sure your 'Monitor' in your
    > xorg.conf/XF86Config-4 file has the DPMS line:
    >
    > -----------
    > Section "Monitor"
    > Identifier "Generic Monitor"
    > HorizSync 30-67