Force to power off : bad for my laptop ?? - Portable

This is a discussion on Force to power off : bad for my laptop ?? - Portable ; Hello My laptop is unable to stop cpufreq when it shutdown (already discussed here, but no solution today ...) with mandrake 10.2 At the end, it says "shuting down hda", but I have to press 5 seconds on the start/stop ...

  1. Force to power off : bad for my laptop ??

    Hello

    My laptop is unable to stop cpufreq when it shutdown (already discussed
    here, but no solution today ...) with mandrake 10.2

    At the end, it says "shuting down hda", but I have to press 5 seconds on the
    start/stop button to power off the computer .

    Do you think it is bad for my laptop ?

    Excuse my bad english ...

    Olivier V

  2. Re: Force to power off : bad for my laptop ??

    Olivier V wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > My laptop is unable to stop cpufreq when it shutdown (already discussed
    > here, but no solution today ...) with mandrake 10.2
    >
    > At the end, it says "shuting down hda", but I have to press 5 seconds on the
    > start/stop button to power off the computer .
    >
    > Do you think it is bad for my laptop ?
    >
    > Excuse my bad english ...
    >
    > Olivier V

    shouldn't do it any harm... forced shutdown through ACPI is certainly
    safer than popping the battery, in any case

    --
    Cheers,

    Jim

    -begin sig-
    Opinions expressed in this message may or may not be representative of
    the opinions of its author. You decide.

    Web: http://www.dotware.co.uk
    http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    Portable: P4m 2.0, 1GB, 40GB, MX440/15" XGA@1600x1200, Wi-Fi, GPRS,
    DVD/CDRW, XPSP2/Knoppix
    Powerbook G3/400, 392MB, 20GB, Rage 128/15"@1024x768, Wi-Fi, DVD, Mac OS
    X 10.4 "Tiger" Dev. Build
    Desktop: AMD64 3200+@2.63GHz, 512MB, 80GB, FX5700LE/32" WXGA@2048x768,
    DVD+-RW, XPSP1/Debian
    FileServer: Athlon XP 2400+, 256MB, 2.72TB, Blind, MuLinux

    More but I'm not tellin' ya, there's a pool forming at your feet.
    -end sig-

  3. Re: Force to power off : bad for my laptop ??

    Jim wrote:

    >> At the end, it says "shuting down hda", but I have to press 5 seconds
    >> on the
    >> start/stop button to power off the computer .
    >>
    >> Do you think it is bad for my laptop ?

    no. the powerbutton in fact has two different modes on modern computers:

    short press : go to suspend/hibernataion -> controlable by your OS
    long press : power off -> controled by the motherboard.

    long press is usually > 4 seconds.

    When your linux is shutting down and hangs due to a problem, it will not
    respond to a short-press any more, so you have to do the hardware-way
    and longpress.

    Some Bios'es allow to change the behavior of your powerbutton in
    BIOS-setup. But of course solving your cpu-freq-problem is the prefered way.

    If your disks are unmounted before you press the powerbutton it does no
    harm to the dataintegrity as well (which should not be a bug deal when
    using a modern journaling filesystem like ext3, reiserFS, JFS ...).

    best,
    peter

    --
    http://www.goldfisch.at/know_list

  4. Re: Force to power off : bad for my laptop ??

    peter pilsl wrote:

    > Jim wrote:
    >>>
    >>> At the end, it says "shuting down hda", but I have to press 5 seconds
    >>> on the
    >>> start/stop button to power off the computer .
    >>>
    >>> Do you think it is bad for my laptop ?
    >>>

    > no. the powerbutton in fact has two different modes on modern computers:
    >
    > short press : go to suspend/hibernataion -> controlable by your OS
    > long press : power off -> controled by the motherboard.
    >
    > long press is usually > 4 seconds.
    >
    > When your linux is shutting down and hangs due to a problem, it will not
    > respond to a short-press any more, so you have to do the hardware-way
    > and longpress.
    >
    > Some Bios'es allow to change the behavior of your powerbutton in
    > BIOS-setup. But of course solving your cpu-freq-problem is the prefered
    > way.
    >
    > If your disks are unmounted before you press the powerbutton it does no
    > harm to the dataintegrity as well (which should not be a bug deal when
    > using a modern journaling filesystem like ext3, reiserFS, JFS ...).
    >
    > best,
    > peter

    Thank you.

    Olivier V

  5. Re: Force to power off : bad for my laptop ??

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:48:49 +0200, Olivier V wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > My laptop is unable to stop cpufreq when it shutdown (already discussed
    > here, but no solution today ...) with mandrake 10.2
    >
    > At the end, it says "shuting down hda", but I have to press 5 seconds on the
    > start/stop button to power off the computer .
    >
    > Do you think it is bad for my laptop ?
    >
    > Excuse my bad english ...
    >
    > Olivier V

    Oliver,

    I had the same problem on a laptop when I installed 10.2

    Some machines must have ACPI or APMD power control modules either on or off.

    You'll find them at:

    System
    configuration
    configure your computer