WG511 Made in Taiwan Cards - Portable

This is a discussion on WG511 Made in Taiwan Cards - Portable ; Im trying to locate a few Netgear WG511 cards for my debian laptop that are branded "made in taiwan". The "made in china" cards do not work with the prism54 driver whatsoever. Anybody got a source for these cards? -- ...

  1. WG511 Made in Taiwan Cards

    --
    Michael Perry | do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
    mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org

  2. Re: WG511 Made in Taiwan Cards

    Michael Perry wrote:
    > Im trying to locate a few Netgear WG511 cards for my debian laptop that are
    > branded "made in taiwan". The "made in china" cards do not work with the
    > prism54 driver whatsoever.
    >
    > Anybody got a source for these cards?

    Do you specifically _need_ Netgear, or will any working card with a
    prism54 chipset do? www.compgeeks.com has a "JAHT WN-4054P" card (made
    in Taiwan, BTW) which works nicely with the 2.6.11 kernel driver.

    Jerry

  3. Re: WG511 Made in Taiwan Cards

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 20:20:32 +0000, Jerry Peters wrote:

    > Michael Perry wrote:
    >> Im trying to locate a few Netgear WG511 cards for my debian laptop that are
    >> branded "made in taiwan". The "made in china" cards do not work with the
    >> prism54 driver whatsoever.
    >>
    >> Anybody got a source for these cards?
    >>

    > Do you specifically _need_ Netgear, or will any working card with a
    > prism54 chipset do? www.compgeeks.com has a "JAHT WN-4054P" card (made
    > in Taiwan, BTW) which works nicely with the 2.6.11 kernel driver.
    >
    > Jerry

    This will work fine! Many thanks.

    --
    Michael Perry | do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
    mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org

  4. Re: WG511 Made in Taiwan Cards

    Michael Perry wrote:
    > Im trying to locate a few Netgear WG511 cards for my debian laptop

    that are
    > branded "made in taiwan". The "made in china" cards do not work

    with the
    > prism54 driver whatsoever.
    >
    > Anybody got a source for these cards?
    >
    > Do you specifically _need_ Netgear, or will any working card with a

    prism54 chipset do? www.compgeeks.com has a "JAHT WN-4054P" card
    (made
    in Taiwan, BTW) which works nicely with the 2.6.11 kernel driver.

    Jerry[/quote]

    I just received my card, and it's found, but..

    When inserting the card, I get this error message;

    PCI: Enabling device 0000:02:00:0 (0000 -> 0002)
    prism54 request_firmware() failed for 'isl3890'
    eth0: could not upload firmware ('isl3890')
    prism54 request_firmware() failed for 'isl3890'
    eth0: could not upload firmware ('isl3890')

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

    http://www.DevPlug.com --Connecting Developers
    Posted from: http://www.devplug.com/ftopic28962.htm

  5. Re: WG511 Made in Taiwan Cards

    In article <118qb0vc864mhd4@news.supernews.com>, rdmyers@mtpalomar-dot-
    net.no-spam.invalid says...
    > > Jerry Peterswrote:

    > Michael Perry wrote:
    > > Im trying to locate a few Netgear WG511 cards for my debian laptop

    > that are
    > > branded "made in taiwan". The "made in china" cards do not work

    > with the
    > > prism54 driver whatsoever.
    > >
    > > Anybody got a source for these cards?
    > >
    > > Do you specifically _need_ Netgear, or will any working card with a

    > prism54 chipset do? www.compgeeks.com has a "JAHT WN-4054P" card
    > (made
    > in Taiwan, BTW) which works nicely with the 2.6.11 kernel driver.
    >
    > Jerry[/quote]
    >
    > I just received my card, and it's found, but..
    >
    > When inserting the card, I get this error message;
    >
    > PCI: Enabling device 0000:02:00:0 (0000 -> 0002)
    > prism54 request_firmware() failed for 'isl3890'
    > eth0: could not upload firmware ('isl3890')
    > prism54 request_firmware() failed for 'isl3890'
    > eth0: could not upload firmware ('isl3890')
    >

    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > http://www.DevPlug.com --Connecting Developers
    > Posted from: http://www.devplug.com/ftopic28962.htm

    Hi-

    I found that my JAHT card would work but I had to insert and remove the
    kernel module a few times. Did you place the firmware in the right
    place and even kick hotplug to see it again? On debian unstable, 2.6.11
    kernel, the JAHT card works fine after a few different events like re-
    inserting the kernel module. I manually ran iwconfig against the card
    and set the essid and wep key and it got a dhcp address.

  6. Re: WG511 Made in Taiwan Cards

    Rod Myers wrote:
    >> Jerry Peterswrote:

    > Michael Perry wrote:
    >> Im trying to locate a few Netgear WG511 cards for my debian laptop

    > that are
    >> branded "made in taiwan". The "made in china" cards do not work

    > with the
    >> prism54 driver whatsoever.
    >>
    >> Anybody got a source for these cards?
    >>
    >> Do you specifically _need_ Netgear, or will any working card with a

    > prism54 chipset do? www.compgeeks.com has a "JAHT WN-4054P" card
    > (made
    > in Taiwan, BTW) which works nicely with the 2.6.11 kernel driver.
    >
    > Jerry[/quote]
    >
    > I just received my card, and it's found, but..
    >
    > When inserting the card, I get this error message;
    >
    > PCI: Enabling device 0000:02:00:0 (0000 -> 0002)
    > prism54 request_firmware() failed for 'isl3890'
    > eth0: could not upload firmware ('isl3890')
    > prism54 request_firmware() failed for 'isl3890'
    > eth0: could not upload firmware ('isl3890')

    You need to put the firmware in /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware so hotplug
    can load it. There's firmware on the CD, look for *.arm, however it's
    probably old, so go to prism54.org and get ISL3890-1.0.4.3.arm. Put it
    in the proper place and link it to isl3890.

    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > http://www.DevPlug.com --Connecting Developers
    > Posted from: http://www.devplug.com/ftopic28962.htm

  7. re:WG511 Made in Taiwan Cards

    Took me a minute, or 3 to figure out the correct naming scheme.

    Works Great.

    Thanks

    http://www.DevPlug.com --Connecting Developers
    Posted from: http://www.devplug.com/ftopic28962.htm

  8. re:WG511 Made in Taiwan Cards

    I just got my wireless pcmcia wireless card working, sort of.

    It's a jaht wn-4054p, it works with the prism54 module, with a
    firmware update from prism54.org

    With out wep, I can connect with the Linksys wrt54g wifi router, and
    onto the internet, fine and dandy.

    Once I try to get wep working, with this in the eth0 stanza;

    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.104
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    broadcast 192.168.1.255
    gateway 192.168.1.1

    Now when I try to add the wireless info below, I cannot connect;

    wireless-essid blahblahblah
    wireless-key 1234567890

    I cannot get connected. I've double checked the essid & wifi key
    (I have them printed out so I'm entering them correctly).

    Any pointers, and/or online docs?

    Thanks

    http://www.DevPlug.com --Connecting Developers
    Posted from: http://www.devplug.com/ftopic28962.htm

  9. Re: re:WG511 Made in Taiwan Cards

    In article <118vmda4nt3sm6b@news.supernews.com>, rdmyers@mtpalomar-dot-
    net.no-spam.invalid says...
    > I just got my wireless pcmcia wireless card working, sort of.
    >
    > It's a jaht wn-4054p, it works with the prism54 module, with a
    > firmware update from prism54.org
    >
    > With out wep, I can connect with the Linksys wrt54g wifi router, and
    > onto the internet, fine and dandy.
    >
    > Once I try to get wep working, with this in the eth0 stanza;
    >
    > iface eth0 inet static
    > address 192.168.1.104
    > netmask 255.255.255.0
    > broadcast 192.168.1.255
    > gateway 192.168.1.1
    >
    > Now when I try to add the wireless info below, I cannot connect;
    >
    > wireless-essid blahblahblah
    > wireless-key 1234567890
    >
    > I cannot get connected. I've double checked the essid & wifi key
    > (I have them printed out so I'm entering them correctly).
    >
    > Any pointers, and/or online docs?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > http://www.DevPlug.com --Connecting Developers
    > Posted from: http://www.devplug.com/ftopic28962.htm

    What happens if you try to set it all up manually? I had a bit of
    problem with the card at first on debian unstable. What I did was to
    manually set the device using iwconfig. I could get wep working with no
    big problems at all after I did it manually a few times. What happens if
    you insert a 0x before the wep key? Does it work then?

    --
    Michael Perry | do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
    mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org

  10. re:WG511 Made in Taiwan Cards

    Typing errors, and assigning the laptop the same IP address as this
    machine.

    Dumb errors.

    It's been working for the past 6 hours, with 3 reboots (just to make
    sure)

    http://www.DevPlug.com --Connecting Developers
    Posted from: http://www.devplug.com/ftopic28962.htm

  11. Re: WG511 Made in Taiwan Cards

    Michael Perry wrote:
    > Im trying to locate a few Netgear WG511 cards for my debian laptop that are
    > branded "made in taiwan". The "made in china" cards do not work with the
    > prism54 driver whatsoever.
    >
    > Anybody got a source for these cards?

    I was just in my local BestBuy yesterday nad they have boxes of Taiwans.

  12. Re: WG511 Made in Taiwan Cards

    bill wrote in

    > Michael Perry wrote:
    >> Im trying to locate a few Netgear WG511 cards for my debian laptop
    >> that are branded "made in taiwan". The "made in china" cards do not
    >> work with the prism54 driver whatsoever.
    >>
    >> Anybody got a source for these cards?
    >>

    > I was just in my local BestBuy yesterday nad they have boxes of
    > Taiwans.

    Yeah. I went to a few of the consumer electronics stores when I was
    specifically looking for the WG511 cards and found nothing here (San
    Francisco Bay area) made in Taiwan. I also made a forage to Fry's in the
    evening (another thing I won't do again) and they had lots of WG511 cards
    but none made in Taiwan.

    Seems like you gotta be in the right place at the right time

    Anyways, the JAHT cards work very well for me now and they are a bit
    cheaper than the WG's.

    --
    Michael Perry | do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
    mike@meperry.net, mperry@lnxpowered.org

+ Reply to Thread