Clock running fast - Portable

This is a discussion on Clock running fast - Portable ; Just installed Suse 9.3 64-bit on Compaq R4000 the other day. The clock down in the system tray is running really, really fast. Maybe twice as fast as it is supposed to. I haven't actually tested to see exactly how ...

  1. Clock running fast

    Just installed Suse 9.3 64-bit on Compaq R4000 the other day.

    The clock down in the system tray is running really, really fast.
    Maybe twice as fast as it is supposed to. I haven't actually tested to
    see exactly how fast it is, but it is really bad. At about 9:15 this
    morning I set it to correct time. It is now 10:08 and it says 10:54.

    Also, how do I get it to display 12-hour time instead of 24-hour time?
    I set it to "pH:MM:SS AMPM" and it still shows time in 24-hour format.

    --
    Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

  2. Re: Clock running fast

  3. Re: Clock running fast

    Will Ashford wrote:

    > Marek Williams wrote:
    > | Just installed Suse 9.3 64-bit on Compaq R4000 the other day.
    > |
    > | The clock down in the system tray is running really, really fast.
    > | Maybe twice as fast as it is supposed to. I haven't actually tested to
    > | see exactly how fast it is, but it is really bad. At about 9:15 this
    > | morning I set it to correct time. It is now 10:08 and it says 10:54.
    > |
    > | Also, how do I get it to display 12-hour time instead of 24-hour time?
    > | I set it to "pH:MM:SS AMPM" and it still shows time in 24-hour format.
    > |
    > | --
    > | Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.
    >
    > I've been having a similar problem. I suspect it's related to cpufreq.
    > I've got a 2.6 system with cpufreq in my kernel and using cpudynd as
    > userspace interface. It seems to make my clock run twice as fast, even
    > after I disable the ACPI processor module. I have not enabled the ACPI
    > (PM?) timer kernel function. Any ideas?

    Strange problem I've been having too... glad it's not just me! I've got
    a Dell Optiplex GX115 (PIII, Phoenix BIOS), everything runs fast...
    clock, audio (except streaming), game video... 'tis weird. Can't check
    the BIOS or disable the (I suspect shot) ACPI, it's a secondhand box and
    the BIOS is passworded

    --
    Cheers,

    Jim

    -begin sig-
    Opinions expressed in this message may or may not be representative of
    the opinions of its author. You decide.

    Web: http://www.dotware.co.uk
    http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    Portable: P4m 2.0, 1GB, 40GB, MX440/15" XGA@1600x1200, Wi-Fi, GPRS,
    DVD/CDRW, XPSP2/Knoppix
    Powerbook G3/400, 392MB, 20GB, Rage 128/15"@1024x768, Wi-Fi, DVD, Mac OS
    X 10.4 "Tiger" Dev. Build
    Desktop: AMD64 3200+@2.63GHz, 512MB, 80GB, FX5700LE/32" WXGA@2048x768,
    DVD+-RW, XPSP1/Debian
    FileServer: Athlon XP 2400+, 256MB, 2.72TB, Blind, MuLinux

    More but I'm not tellin' ya, there's a pool forming at your feet.
    -end sig-

  4. Re: Clock running fast

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 07:32:14 GMT, Jim
    dijo:

    >> I've been having a similar problem. I suspect it's related to cpufreq.
    >> I've got a 2.6 system with cpufreq in my kernel and using cpudynd as
    >> userspace interface. It seems to make my clock run twice as fast, even
    >> after I disable the ACPI processor module. I have not enabled the ACPI
    >> (PM?) timer kernel function. Any ideas?
    >>

    >Strange problem I've been having too... glad it's not just me! I've got
    >a Dell Optiplex GX115 (PIII, Phoenix BIOS), everything runs fast...
    >clock, audio (except streaming), game video... 'tis weird. Can't check
    >the BIOS or disable the (I suspect shot) ACPI, it's a secondhand box and
    >the BIOS is passworded

    Well, mine is a brand new Compaq R4000 that arrived about a week ago.
    Everything else runs at the right speed, just the clock is at double
    speed. And I have since timed it and it is exactly double. I also
    checked the CPU speed and it is correct.

    I'm wondering if a simple solution would be to forget about the clock
    in KDE and find a different one. I assume that is possible, but I've
    been using Linux for a total of about seven days now, so what do I
    know? I wonder where the clock gets its signal or calibration from.

    --
    Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

  5. Re: Clock running fast

    Marek Williams wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 May 2005 07:32:14 GMT, Jim
    > dijo:
    >

    >>>I've been having a similar problem. I suspect it's related to cpufreq.
    >>>I've got a 2.6 system with cpufreq in my kernel and using cpudynd as
    >>>userspace interface. It seems to make my clock run twice as fast, even
    >>>after I disable the ACPI processor module. I have not enabled the ACPI
    >>>(PM?) timer kernel function. Any ideas?
    >>>

    >>Strange problem I've been having too... glad it's not just me! I've got
    >>a Dell Optiplex GX115 (PIII, Phoenix BIOS), everything runs fast...
    >>clock, audio (except streaming), game video... 'tis weird. Can't check
    >>the BIOS or disable the (I suspect shot) ACPI, it's a secondhand box and
    >>the BIOS is passworded

    > Well, mine is a brand new Compaq R4000 that arrived about a week ago.
    > Everything else runs at the right speed, just the clock is at double
    > speed. And I have since timed it and it is exactly double. I also
    > checked the CPU speed and it is correct.
    >
    > I'm wondering if a simple solution would be to forget about the clock
    > in KDE and find a different one. I assume that is possible, but I've
    > been using Linux for a total of about seven days now, so what do I
    > know? I wonder where the clock gets its signal or calibration from.
    >
    > --
    > Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

    I've got a bit of a theory, unfortunately I can't test it out... if you
    jump into the BIOS and set boot CPU speed to "compatible", would that
    sort it out?

    --
    Cheers,

    Jim

    -begin sig-
    Opinions expressed in this message may or may not be representative of
    the opinions of its author. You decide.

    Web: http://www.dotware.co.uk
    http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    Portable: P4m 2.0, 1GB, 40GB, MX440/15" XGA@1600x1200, Wi-Fi, GPRS,
    DVD/CDRW, XPSP2/Knoppix
    Powerbook G3/400, 392MB, 20GB, Rage 128/15"@1024x768, Wi-Fi, DVD, Mac OS
    X 10.4 "Tiger" Dev. Build
    Desktop: AMD64 3200+@2.63GHz, 512MB, 80GB, FX5700LE/32" WXGA@2048x768,
    DVD+-RW, XPSP1/Debian
    FileServer: Athlon XP 2400+, 256MB, 2.72TB, Blind, MuLinux

    More but I'm not tellin' ya, there's a pool forming at your feet.
    -end sig-

+ Reply to Thread