Video on Compaq R4000 - Portable

This is a discussion on Video on Compaq R4000 - Portable ; Santa came while I was in class this morning!!!!!! OK, he arrived in a FedEx truck instead of a sleigh, but hey! Who's complaining? So guess what I got? A shiny new Compaq R4000US! It has 1 Gb RAM, an ...

  1. Video on Compaq R4000

    Santa came while I was in class this morning!!!!!!

    OK, he arrived in a FedEx truck instead of a sleigh, but hey! Who's
    complaining?

    So guess what I got? A shiny new Compaq R4000US! It has 1 Gb
    RAM, an 80 Gb 5400 rpm hard disk and the ATI Radeon Xpress
    200, plus a bunch of other cool toys, including an Athlon 64 4000.

    So I have spent all afternoon installing Suse Linux 9.3 (64) from a
    retail box. It found pretty much everything, including the Radeon
    Xpress 200, but for video it installed vesa 1024 x 768 instead of 1280
    x 800 as I was hoping.

    YaST finds:

    Framebuffer device
    MS48
    Bus: None
    Class (spec): VESA Framebuffer
    Class: Framebuffer
    Device: MS48
    Model: ATI MOBILITY RADEON Xpress 200G Series MS48
    Old Unique Key: PxbD.Orxp2Ohjz55
    Resources (lots of stuff under framebuffer, mem and phys mem
    Revision: 01.00 Sub Vendor: ATI MOBILITY RADEON Xpress 200G
    Series Unique Key: rdCR.mrzO17txmKC Vendor: ATI Technologies
    Inc. bus_hwcfg: None

    Unfortunately, I understood zero of the above. Elsewhere there is a
    place to Add New Card, where it lists ATI as a vendor, but this card
    is not listed.

    I know I have read somewhere (perhaps here, but I can't find it) where
    someone with this video chip got it running at 1280 x 800. That's all
    I want -- I don't need virtual screens and stuff.

    Please bear in mind that I know next to nothing about Linux.

    Any help will be gratefully received.

    --
    Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

  2. Re: Video on Compaq R4000

    Marek Williams wrote:
    > Santa came while I was in class this morning!!!!!!
    >
    > OK, he arrived in a FedEx truck instead of a sleigh, but hey! Who's
    > complaining?
    >
    > So guess what I got? A shiny new Compaq R4000US! It has 1 Gb
    > RAM, an 80 Gb 5400 rpm hard disk and the ATI Radeon Xpress
    > 200, plus a bunch of other cool toys, including an Athlon 64 4000.
    >
    > So I have spent all afternoon installing Suse Linux 9.3 (64) from a
    > retail box. It found pretty much everything, including the Radeon
    > Xpress 200, but for video it installed vesa 1024 x 768 instead of 1280
    > x 800 as I was hoping.
    >
    > YaST finds:
    >
    > Framebuffer device
    > MS48
    > Bus: None
    > Class (spec): VESA Framebuffer
    > Class: Framebuffer
    > Device: MS48
    > Model: ATI MOBILITY RADEON Xpress 200G Series MS48
    > Old Unique Key: PxbD.Orxp2Ohjz55
    > Resources (lots of stuff under framebuffer, mem and phys mem
    > Revision: 01.00 Sub Vendor: ATI MOBILITY RADEON Xpress 200G
    > Series Unique Key: rdCR.mrzO17txmKC Vendor: ATI Technologies
    > Inc. bus_hwcfg: None
    >
    > Unfortunately, I understood zero of the above. Elsewhere there is a
    > place to Add New Card, where it lists ATI as a vendor, but this card
    > is not listed.
    >
    > I know I have read somewhere (perhaps here, but I can't find it) where
    > someone with this video chip got it running at 1280 x 800. That's all
    > I want -- I don't need virtual screens and stuff.
    >
    > Please bear in mind that I know next to nothing about Linux.
    >
    > Any help will be gratefully received.
    >
    > --
    > Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

    Actually this is a more general situation. I'm running FC2 on a box
    with a Matrox Millennium video card, and I can't get any more than
    800x600 (or something like that) out of it. Is there a general approach
    to "force" FC (or any distro) into a different video mode?

  3. Re: Video on Compaq R4000

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.portable.]
    On Tue, 10 May 2005 10:32:14 GMT, Bruce Coryell staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    > Marek Williams wrote:
    >> A shiny new Compaq R4000US. So I have spent all afternoon installing
    >> Suse Linux 9.3 (64) from a retail box. It found pretty much
    >> everything, including the Radeon Xpress 200, but for video it
    >> installed vesa 1024 x 768

    VESA? Are SuSE on crack? You never want to use the VESA X server
    unless there's no other way. This video card may be new enough that the
    radeon X server doesn't support it yet, but try that anyway. That means
    "make a backup copy of /etc/X11/xorg.conf , then edit that file with
    vim or emacs and change Driver "vesa" to Driver "radeon", then restart
    X."

    >>instead of 1280 x 800 as I was hoping.

    1280x800 is a weird resolution, not a standard one. You may have to
    create a custom Modeline using
    http://koala.ilog.fr/cgi-bin/nph-colas-modelines and add that to your
    xorg.conf and use that instead of a standard resolution.

    >> Please bear in mind that I know next to nothing about Linux.

    Nothing like jumping in at the deep end, eh?

    > I'm running FC2 on a box with a Matrox Millennium video card, and I
    > can't get any more than 800x600 (or something like that) out of it.
    > Is there a general approach to "force" FC (or any distro) into a
    > different video mode?

    Matrox Millennium? Isn't that a really, really old card? How much VRAM
    does it have? 800x600 at 24-bit color takes 1.83M, and if that card has
    only 2M of VRAM, it's obvious what the problem is. Drop back to 16-bit
    color and you should be able to get 1024x768 out of this thing. Also,
    people routinely throw out much more featureful video cards, so you
    might want to go dumpster-diving or garage sailing. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  4. Re: Video on Compaq R4000

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 06:09:30 -0500, Dances With Crows
    dijo:

    >> Marek Williams wrote:
    >>> A shiny new Compaq R4000US. So I have spent all afternoon installing
    >>> Suse Linux 9.3 (64) from a retail box. It found pretty much
    >>> everything, including the Radeon Xpress 200, but for video it
    >>> installed vesa 1024 x 768

    >VESA? Are SuSE on crack? You never want to use the VESA X server
    >unless there's no other way. This video card may be new enough that the
    >radeon X server doesn't support it yet, but try that anyway. That means
    >"make a backup copy of /etc/X11/xorg.conf , then edit that file with
    >vim or emacs and change Driver "vesa" to Driver "radeon", then restart
    >X."

    Last night a Linux guru was chatting with me on IRC and wanted me to
    find the xorg.conf file. Searched everywhere, but it's not on this
    computer. Also wanted me to find XF86Config (I think I remember that
    right). Found it, but it was a binary file, not a text file. No other
    copies on the machine. He expressed several opinions of Suse as we
    went through this. For example, he had me start from a command line by
    typing "locate XF86Config" but all I got was "command not found."
    Ditto for slocate and a few other commands he had me try. Eventually I
    used the GUI file search utility.

    >>>instead of 1280 x 800 as I was hoping.

    >1280x800 is a weird resolution, not a standard one. You may have to
    >create a custom Modeline using
    >http://koala.ilog.fr/cgi-bin/nph-colas-modelines and add that to your
    >xorg.conf and use that instead of a standard resolution.

    While shopping I found that about half the laptops in local computer
    stores are running 1280 x 800 on 15.4 inch widescreen laptops, which
    is currently in vogue. That's what size my screen is. Some offer even
    greater resolutions, but the visible screen area is still 1280 x 800
    -- the surplus is "virtual screen" -- as you move your mouse to the
    edge it moves to the extra area. Some like the extra virtual screen
    but I do not.

    >>> Please bear in mind that I know next to nothing about Linux.

    >Nothing like jumping in at the deep end, eh?

    Yeah. And I swim with all the skill of a slab of granite.

    But heck, I'll get there! I may be stupid, but I'm also pig-headed and
    determined to get Linux running on a 64-bit laptop with 15.4 inch
    wide-screen video at 1280 x 800. I know it can be done on the Compaq
    R3000 series because lots of people have reported they are doing so.
    (There is an e-list for the R3000 that I signed up for.) The R4000 is
    the brand new successor to the R3000, which is no longer being sold.
    The R4000 uses the latest Athlon 64 4000, which isn't just running at
    a faster clock speed, but has some internal improvements as well over
    previous Athlon 64s. Unfortunately, HP/Compaq switched from the Nvidia
    that they used in the R3000 line to the ATI Radeon Xpress 200 in the
    R4000. If they were still using the Nvidia video I know there would be
    no problem.

    But so far I am pleased with everything else about this machine and
    Suse 9.3. I don't have a way to test some things yet -- firewire,
    faxmodem, card reader, wireless, but they appear to be configured and
    running. And everything else was auto-detected by the Suse 9.3
    installation utility and is working fine. During installation I had an
    ethernet cable connected to the my hub. Suse found the network, the
    cable modem, and when installation was finished I launched Firefox and
    went straight out to the internet. I remember it took me all day to
    get this Windows 2000 desktop on the internet a year and a half ago
    when I switched from dial-up to cable.

    Except for the video, my only problems are lack of knowledge. Like, I
    can't get the laptop and the desktop to see each other on the ethernet
    network. I suspect it's a firewall problem. I have no idea what Suse
    installed on the laptop, but I know the desktop uses Sygate personal
    firewall. I need to tell Sygate that it's OK to let the laptop in, but
    I can't figure out how to do that. Nor can I figure out how to tell
    the laptop that it's OK to let the desktop in. But that's my own
    stupidity.

    >> I'm running FC2 on a box with a Matrox Millennium video card, and I
    >> can't get any more than 800x600 (or something like that) out of it.
    >> Is there a general approach to "force" FC (or any distro) into a
    >> different video mode?

    >Matrox Millennium? Isn't that a really, really old card? How much VRAM
    >does it have? 800x600 at 24-bit color takes 1.83M, and if that card has
    >only 2M of VRAM, it's obvious what the problem is. Drop back to 16-bit
    >color and you should be able to get 1024x768 out of this thing. Also,
    >people routinely throw out much more featureful video cards, so you
    >might want to go dumpster-diving or garage sailing. HTH,

    That was from Bruce, not me, but as it happens I have a three-year old
    Matrox G550 in this desktop that I'm typing this on. It's running a
    21" monitor at 1600 x 1200, 24-bit color. I can't remember how much
    RAM it has, but I know Matrox Millennium cards came in all kinds of
    configurations over the years. For a long time they were favored by
    desktop publishing people because their Windows drivers were legendary
    for speed, stability and good color control. My suggestion to Bruce is
    to start by determining the model number. Then you can look up how
    much RAM it has. Or possibly there is a GUI configuration utility in
    FC2 where it will be listed and you can just click on it.

    --
    Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

  5. Re: Video on Compaq R4000 - weird resolution?

    Dances With Crows wrote:

    >>>instead of 1280 x 800 as I was hoping.

    > 1280x800 is a weird resolution, not a standard one.

    It may not be as weird as you think: 1024x768 & 1280x960 are standard 4:3
    ratios. However, 1280x800 is 8:5 - a widescreen ratio: more laptops appear
    to be offering widescreens now.

  6. Re: Video on Compaq R4000

    On Mon, 09 May 2005 20:28:15 -0700, Marek Williams wrote:

    > > So I have spent all afternoon installing Suse Linux 9.3 (64) from a

    > retail box. It found pretty much everything, including the Radeon
    > Xpress 200, but for video it installed vesa 1024 x 768 instead of 1280
    > x 800 as I was hoping.

    I have a Compaq R3210US which uses the nvidia driver so I can't help you
    get your ATI driver going. But, you'll have to get that going before you
    worry about the resolution.

    > I know I have read somewhere (perhaps here, but I can't find it) where
    > someone with this video chip got it running at 1280 x 800. That's all I
    > want -- I don't need virtual screens and stuff.

    Once you get the ATI driver working, you'll have to add a modeline to the
    Monitor section of your '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' or '/etc/X11/XF86Config'
    file. I'm not sure of the path in Suse as I use Mandriva (formerly
    Mandrake). These are text files that you open as root with your favorite
    editor and change. Changes take effect the next time you start 'X'. Make
    sure you make a backup of this file before you edit it so that you can
    always get back to where you started if your changes don't work. Here is
    my Monitor section for a similar display:

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "monitor1"
    VendorName "Compaq"
    ModelName "Flat Panel 1280x800"
    HorizSync 30-70
    VertRefresh 55-85
    DisplaySize 330 205
    ModeLine "1280x800" 87.09 1280 1336 1616 1728 800 802 814 840 # 60Hz
    EndSection

    > Please bear in mind that I know next to nothing about Linux.
    >
    > Any help will be gratefully received.

    HTH
    --
    Registered Linux User #: 222896
    Registered Machine #: 148845

  7. Re: Video on Compaq R4000

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 19:38:36 GMT, "Larry W. Hatcher"
    dijo:

    >Once you get the ATI driver working, you'll have to add a modeline to the
    >Monitor section of your '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' or '/etc/X11/XF86Config'
    >file. I'm not sure of the path in Suse as I use Mandriva (formerly
    >Mandrake). These are text files that you open as root with your favorite
    >editor and change. Changes take effect the next time you start 'X'. Make
    >sure you make a backup of this file before you edit it so that you can
    >always get back to where you started if your changes don't work. Here is
    >my Monitor section for a similar display:
    >
    >Section "Monitor"
    > Identifier "monitor1"
    > VendorName "Compaq"
    > ModelName "Flat Panel 1280x800"
    > HorizSync 30-70
    > VertRefresh 55-85
    > DisplaySize 330 205
    > ModeLine "1280x800" 87.09 1280 1336 1616 1728 800 802 814 840 # 60Hz
    >EndSection

    Thanks for that information. Unfortunately I have not been able to
    find xorg.conf or XF86Config on this computer.

    At this point I'm about to try a different distro. And, as it turns
    out, someone local to me just told me that Mandriva has drivers for
    the ATI Radeon Xpress 200. I was going to try Fedora Core 3 next, but
    if what he says is true, maybe Mandriva is what I should install.

    --
    Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

  8. Re: Video on Compaq R4000

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 14:23:23 -0700, Marek Williams staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > On Tue, 10 May 2005 19:38:36 GMT, "Larry W. Hatcher"
    > dijo:
    >>Once you get the ATI driver working, you'll have to add a modeline to the
    >>Monitor section of your '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' or '/etc/X11/XF86Config'
    >>file. I'm not sure of the path in Suse

    The canonical location for these things is in /etc/X11/ . If it's
    elsewhere, SuSE has done something Stupid.

    > Thanks for that information. Unfortunately I have not been able to
    > find xorg.conf or XF86Config on this computer.

    "man Xorg" in the FILES section (near the bottom) shows where the X
    server looks for the X config file. You said that X is running, so
    there *must* be a config file on there somewhere. If they used the
    -config option to X, you can always do "ps auxw | grep X" to see the
    command that was used to start the X server. That may lead you to the
    config file.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  9. Re: Video on Compaq R4000

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 17:10:03 -0500, Dances With Crows
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 10 May 2005 14:23:23 -0700, Marek Williams staggered into the
    >Black Sun and said:
    >> On Tue, 10 May 2005 19:38:36 GMT, "Larry W. Hatcher"
    >> dijo:
    >>>Once you get the ATI driver working, you'll have to add a modeline to the
    >>>Monitor section of your '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' or '/etc/X11/XF86Config'
    >>>file. I'm not sure of the path in Suse

    >The canonical location for these things is in /etc/X11/ . If it's
    >elsewhere, SuSE has done something Stupid.
    >
    >> Thanks for that information. Unfortunately I have not been able to
    >> find xorg.conf or XF86Config on this computer.

    >"man Xorg" in the FILES section (near the bottom) shows where the X
    >server looks for the X config file. You said that X is running, so
    >there *must* be a config file on there somewhere. If they used the
    >-config option to X, you can always do "ps auxw | grep X" to see the
    >command that was used to start the X server. That may lead you to the
    >config file.

    Solaris 10 runnig xorg does a probe and configure on the fly.
    Perhaps your distro is doing something similar?

    From Alan Coopersmith on alt.solaris.x86:

    "By default, there is no config file and it autodetects at every run
    what settings to use. If you want to change those settings, run
    "Xorg -configure" as root to generate a config file, mv it to
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf and edit it."

    Just a WAG,

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  10. Re: Video on Compaq R4000

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 07:48:14 -0700, Bill Waddington staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > On Tue, 10 May 2005 17:10:03 -0500, Dances With Crows
    > wrote:
    >>On Tue, 10 May 2005 14:23:23 -0700, Marek Williams staggered into the
    >>Black Sun and said:
    >>> On Tue, 10 May 2005 19:38:36 GMT, "Larry W. Hatcher"
    >>> dijo:

    >>The canonical location for these things is in /etc/X11/ . If it's
    >>elsewhere, SuSE has done something Stupid.
    >>> Thanks for that information. Unfortunately I have not been able to
    >>> find xorg.conf or XF86Config on this computer.

    >>server looks for the X config file. You said that X is running, so
    >>there *must* be a config file on there somewhere. If they used the
    >>-config option to X, you can always do "ps auxw | grep X" to see the

    > Solaris 10 runnig xorg does a probe and configure on the fly. Perhaps
    > your distro is doing something similar?

    The man page for Xorg says that X can do that. I don't know why anyone
    would do that, because probing and autoconfigging takes time, and most
    people keep the same video card in their machines for months if not
    years.

    > From Alan Coopersmith on alt.solaris.x86:
    > If you want to change those settings, run "Xorg -configure" as root to
    > generate a config file, mv it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and edit it."
    >
    > Just a WAG,

    It may be correct. If SuSE have set their X to do this by default, then
    they've really made a major mistake.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!