New Laptop on the Way - Portable

This is a discussion on New Laptop on the Way - Portable ; > Marek Williamswrote: On Sat, 21 May 2005 12:03:46 +0100, Timothy Murphy > dijo: > > Marek Williams wrote: > > Next I tried Fedora Core 3. The installation hung. I never got past > it, so I could never ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: New Laptop on the Way

    > Marek Williamswrote:
    On Sat, 21 May 2005 12:03:46 +0100, Timothy Murphy
    > dijo:
    >
    > Marek Williams wrote:
    >
    > Next I tried Fedora Core 3. The installation hung. I never got past
    > it, so I could never install it.
    >
    > Did you try in text mode?
    > Where exactly did the installation hang?
    >
    > I just googled for "Fedora R4000" and there seemed to be plenty of

    people
    > running Fedora on this system.
    > Why not see how other people got round your problems?

    As I mentioned previously, Fedora Core 3 hung on the installation and
    I couldn't get past it.

    --
    Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply
    here.[/quote:55620c0bcd]

    Marek, I have the same laptop as you, seems to be the exact model. I
    tried Fedora Core 4 64 bit edition recently, and that works quite
    well. The SpeedStep software (i think that's what it's called), seems
    to be reporting that it's throttling correctly. Wireless won't work,
    but there's 64 bit drivers on the Broadcomm website. so you can use
    the ndiswrapper apparently to get around this problem. i have yet to
    get ndis to install properly because yum under fedora keeps screaming
    at me about dependencies. Also there's this creepy problem where time
    seems to go twice as fast. I think it's something up w/ APM or the
    SpeedStep ****.

    Mandriva 2005 LE 64 bit edition gives me a kernel panic exactly what
    you're getting. Every character on your mandriva bootup is the same.
    I'm going to try Mandriva 32 bit because I really don't like Fedora.

    Also, I think our monitor can only go to 1280 x 800, where as the
    older model could hit that 1600 x ..... resolution. My friend has it
    and it's odd that he can easily change to it under Windows, where
    under Windows I can't go past 1280 x 800.

    It's rather strange.

  2. Re: New Laptop on the Way

    afxgrin wrote:

    > As I mentioned previously, Fedora Core 3 hung on the installation and
    > I couldn't get past it.

    Most often when I have seen something like that this means that ACPI in
    your BIOS is "iffy", if not outright broken, and booting
    'linux acpi=off' allows to install. Then you may need such boot option
    later on as well although later kernels may happen to have workarounds.

    You may also try options 'nofb' and/or 'text' and install in a text
    mode. I you will look at help screens right after anaconda got to a
    boot prompt then you can find such information yourself.

    Michal

  3. Re: New Laptop on the Way

    On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 19:09:25 +0000 (UTC), Michal Jaegermann
    dijo:

    >afxgrin wrote:
    >>>

    >> As I mentioned previously, Fedora Core 3 hung on the installation and
    >> I couldn't get past it.

    >Most often when I have seen something like that this means that ACPI in
    >your BIOS is "iffy", if not outright broken, and booting
    >'linux acpi=off' allows to install. Then you may need such boot option
    >later on as well although later kernels may happen to have workarounds.
    >
    >You may also try options 'nofb' and/or 'text' and install in a text
    >mode. I you will look at help screens right after anaconda got to a
    >boot prompt then you can find such information yourself.

    First, afxgrin was responding to a very old post of mine -- back in
    June or so. Since then I returned the R4000 to HP under their
    "no-hassle" return policy. Then I bought a Compaq R3240 instead. It
    lacks a few of the features of the R4000, but is plenty fast enough
    for me and cost hundreds of dollars less. Better yet, it works under
    Linux.

    I use Ubuntu 5.04 64-bit on it. The installation detected the nVidia
    chip and automatically set the video up for 1680 x 1050. Beautiful! It
    took me quite a while to get the wifi working, but only because I'm a
    total n00b and couldn't figure out the instructions on the net.
    Everything other than the wifi worked out of the box. That is,
    everything that I need -- I never bothered with the modem or the card
    reader.

    As for the double-speed issue on the R4000, while I had mine I noticed
    an RPM file that was supposed to be a fix for it. Even though my R4000
    suffered from the same double-speed problem, I never installed it
    because I was close to returning the computer when I discovered the
    file. I think it was on Suse's site, but it may have been someone
    else. Been too long, can't remember.