Linux on Compaq R3470 - Portable

This is a discussion on Linux on Compaq R3470 - Portable ; My only experience with Linux is from several years ago when I experimented putting Corel Linux on an old computer. Now I need a fast computer for use at my university and I so do not want it running Windows ...

  1. Linux on Compaq R3470

    My only experience with Linux is from several years ago when I
    experimented putting Corel Linux on an old computer. Now I need a fast
    computer for use at my university and I so do not want it running
    Windows XP. Today I went to Best Buy, CompUSA and Fry's and spent
    several hours trying stuff out. CompUSA had nothing interesting. Best
    Buy had the best deal -- a Gateway Athlon-64 3700 fully decked out.
    But when I played with it I discovered that the keyboard sucked so bad
    that I had to cross it off my list. Then I went to Fry's and the
    fastest laptop they had on display was the Compaq R3470. It was also
    the only Athlon-64 laptop they had. The sales dude kept trying to tell
    me that the Centrinos were faster because of hyperthreading, but the
    proof of the pudding is in the eating. The Compaq could eat any of
    those other computers for lunch.

    Now that I'm home I went to Linux on Laptops and looked at the entries
    for Compaq. The closest was one entry for the R3425 --

    http://www.physics.sfsu.edu/~jybarra...rio-r3000.html

    After reading it, I am not encouraged. It seems like a fairly recent
    entry, too.

    So has anyone installed Linux on a Compaq R3470?

    --
    Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

  2. Re: Linux on Compaq R3470

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 18:52:07 -0700, Marek Williams wrote:

    > My only experience with Linux is from several years ago when I
    > experimented putting Corel Linux on an old computer. Now I need a fast
    > computer for use at my university and I so do not want it running
    > Windows XP. Today I went to Best Buy, CompUSA and Fry's and spent
    > several hours trying stuff out. CompUSA had nothing interesting. Best
    > Buy had the best deal -- a Gateway Athlon-64 3700 fully decked out.
    > But when I played with it I discovered that the keyboard sucked so bad
    > that I had to cross it off my list. Then I went to Fry's and the
    > fastest laptop they had on display was the Compaq R3470. It was also
    > the only Athlon-64 laptop they had. The sales dude kept trying to tell
    > me that the Centrinos were faster because of hyperthreading, but the
    > proof of the pudding is in the eating. The Compaq could eat any of
    > those other computers for lunch.
    >
    > Now that I'm home I went to Linux on Laptops and looked at the entries
    > for Compaq. The closest was one entry for the R3425 --
    >
    > http://www.physics.sfsu.edu/~jybarra...rio-r3000.html
    >
    > After reading it, I am not encouraged. It seems like a fairly recent
    > entry, too.
    >
    > So has anyone installed Linux on a Compaq R3470?

    There is a mailing list specifically for Linux on your laptop. It is one
    of the more popular laptops for Linux as the AMD and Nvidia chipsets are
    very Linux friendly. Try here:

    http://lists.pcxperience.com/cgi-bin...nfo/linuxr3000

    HTH
    --
    Registered Linux User #: 222896
    Registered Machine #: 148845

  3. Re: Linux on Compaq R3470

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:46:06 GMT, "Larry W. Hatcher"
    dijo:

    >> So has anyone installed Linux on a Compaq R3470?

    >There is a mailing list specifically for Linux on your laptop. It is one
    >of the more popular laptops for Linux as the AMD and Nvidia chipsets are
    >very Linux friendly. Try here:
    >
    >http://lists.pcxperience.com/cgi-bin...nfo/linuxr3000

    Thanks! I have subscribed. Haven't had time to read all the archived
    stuff, but it looks like a good list.

    --
    Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

  4. Re: Linux on Compaq R3470

    Marek Williams wrote:
    > My only experience with Linux is from several years ago when I
    > experimented putting Corel Linux on an old computer. Now I need a fast
    > computer for use at my university and I so do not want it running
    > Windows XP. Today I went to Best Buy, CompUSA and Fry's and spent
    > several hours trying stuff out. CompUSA had nothing interesting. Best
    > Buy had the best deal -- a Gateway Athlon-64 3700 fully decked out.
    > But when I played with it I discovered that the keyboard sucked so bad
    > that I had to cross it off my list. Then I went to Fry's and the
    > fastest laptop they had on display was the Compaq R3470. It was also
    > the only Athlon-64 laptop they had. The sales dude kept trying to tell
    > me that the Centrinos were faster because of hyperthreading, but the
    > proof of the pudding is in the eating. The Compaq could eat any of
    > those other computers for lunch.
    >
    > Now that I'm home I went to Linux on Laptops and looked at the entries
    > for Compaq. The closest was one entry for the R3425 --
    >
    > http://www.physics.sfsu.edu/~jybarra...rio-r3000.html
    >
    > After reading it, I am not encouraged. It seems like a fairly recent
    > entry, too.
    >
    > So has anyone installed Linux on a Compaq R3470?

    reading through the article you linked it doesnt seem like this could be
    too bad a choice. There dont seem to be any glaring incompatibilities
    from what he said. The only thing he seemed to have a little trouble
    with was the video driver and thats was slackware specific and nothing
    to do with the laptop.

  5. Re: Linux on Compaq R3470

    Saberwolf wrote:
    > Marek Williams wrote:
    >
    >> My only experience with Linux is from several years ago when I
    >> experimented putting Corel Linux on an old computer. Now I need a fast
    >> computer for use at my university and I so do not want it running
    >> Windows XP. Today I went to Best Buy, CompUSA and Fry's and spent
    >> several hours trying stuff out. CompUSA had nothing interesting. Best
    >> Buy had the best deal -- a Gateway Athlon-64 3700 fully decked out.
    >> But when I played with it I discovered that the keyboard sucked so bad
    >> that I had to cross it off my list. Then I went to Fry's and the
    >> fastest laptop they had on display was the Compaq R3470. It was also
    >> the only Athlon-64 laptop they had. The sales dude kept trying to tell
    >> me that the Centrinos were faster because of hyperthreading, but the
    >> proof of the pudding is in the eating. The Compaq could eat any of
    >> those other computers for lunch.
    >>
    >> Now that I'm home I went to Linux on Laptops and looked at the entries
    >> for Compaq. The closest was one entry for the R3425 --
    >>
    >> http://www.physics.sfsu.edu/~jybarra...rio-r3000.html
    >>
    >> After reading it, I am not encouraged. It seems like a fairly recent
    >> entry, too.
    >>
    >> So has anyone installed Linux on a Compaq R3470?
    >>

    > reading through the article you linked it doesnt seem like this could be
    > too bad a choice. There dont seem to be any glaring incompatibilities
    > from what he said. The only thing he seemed to have a little trouble
    > with was the video driver and thats was slackware specific and nothing
    > to do with the laptop.

    Um, just a thought, and it's not meant to be offensive but perhaps you
    should just try linux and see if it all works out? You can always dual
    boot, preserving both the MBR and your windows partitions. I suggest you
    just give it a go and see what happens. Also you could try knoppix or
    something similar, which doesn't need to be installed on the hard disk.

    Personally I use Gentoo Linux.

+ Reply to Thread