Cramming Linux on a Libretto? - Portable

This is a discussion on Cramming Linux on a Libretto? - Portable ; I have a Libretto 110CT which, by some odd miracle, still works pretty well. The only problem is that it's maxed out with a 233MHz CPU, 64 MB of RAM, a 12 GB HDD, an IrDA port and 2 PCMCIA ...

  1. Cramming Linux on a Libretto?

    I have a Libretto 110CT which, by some odd miracle, still works pretty
    well. The only problem is that it's maxed out with a 233MHz CPU, 64
    MB of RAM, a 12 GB HDD, an IrDA port and 2 PCMCIA slots. No USB, no
    Bluetooth, but I have a floppy drive, PCMCIA NIC, and Prism-based
    802.11b card for it.

    I was thinking that it might be better suited for a more PDA-ish
    suite, like Opie or GPE, but I was wondering what anyone here can
    recommend for a very lightweight UI and application mix. Acceptable
    power management and a small memory footprint are key here, since the
    Libretto's small enough for me to carry around just about anywhere. I
    basically plan on using it as a slightly bulkier PDA, and would like
    to have something as close to a decent office suite as I can get
    without thrashing around in swap.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Cramming Linux on a Libretto?

    Have you tried "Damn Small Linux"? It's a lean (50 mb) Debian with
    Fluxbox WM. It's a live distro that hard drive installs pretty easily.
    I installed it on my Samsung notebook (Pentium 133, 40 mb RAM, 2 gb
    HD) and it runs very nicely. http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

    My personal favorite is Ubuntu, although I think your system might not
    be quite enough to run it. Here's some info on a "lean" version
    install: http://www.binonabiso.com/en/Ubuntu-miniRAM-HOWTO.html

    And a quick Google found this link about installing Mandrake on a
    Libretto: http://home.hccnet.nl/pr.nienhuis/MDLinux.html

    Hope this helps,

    Paul

  3. re:Cramming Linux on a Libretto?

    Installation doesn't bug me in the slightest, actually. Gobs of disk
    space make my life easy when it comes to this, as I can probably just
    get away with installing the OS from a second partition.

    The big hogs, to me, are the office apps. I'm thinking of using
    something like TinyX, or an otherwise small X server to keep the
    basic environment down, and even resorting to Minimo, if Firefox ends
    up being too much of a hog.

    The question remains, though, what are my options for
    document/spreadsheet editing? While I'm not crazy enough to avoid
    using a swap partition altogether, swapping should be an absolute
    last resort, and some level of Word compatibility would go a long way
    in my office.

  4. Re: Cramming Linux on a Libretto?

    > The question remains, though, what are my options for
    > document/spreadsheet editing?

    Ok, I'm getting out of my league as I'm no expert, but Damn Small Linux
    includes Siag Office, which runs quite nicely on my little notebook.
    http://siag.nu/

    Paul

+ Reply to Thread