How to tell if it's PCMCIA 1 or 2? - Portable

This is a discussion on How to tell if it's PCMCIA 1 or 2? - Portable ; Hi, How can I tell if the PCMCIA slots in my computer are PCMCIA 1 or 2? I've got a Samsung Sens 810 that came with Windows 95 installed and I've made it dual boot with Damn Small Linux. I'd ...

  1. How to tell if it's PCMCIA 1 or 2?

    Hi,

    How can I tell if the PCMCIA slots in my computer are PCMCIA 1 or 2?
    I've got a Samsung Sens 810 that came with Windows 95 installed and I've
    made it dual boot with Damn Small Linux. I'd like to get a wireless
    network adapter for it but don't know where to begin. I checked the
    hardware settings in W95, but no mention of PCMCIA 2. I'm told that
    there aren't wireless adapters for the older version of PCMCIA.

    Any advice?

    Thanks,

    Paul

  2. Re: How to tell if it's PCMCIA 1 or 2?

    .... I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is "can I use a
    wireless network card" in this system? It has 2 PCMCIA slots, so I
    think a "Type II" card will fit. It used to have a Fujitsu FM 10304/8
    Ethernet Card and Montana 28.8 Modem installed, both are now missing...

    Any leads? I googled and didn't get much info.

    Thanks,

    Paul

  3. Re: How to tell if it's PCMCIA 1 or 2?

    renewontime dot com wrote:
    > ... I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is "can I use a
    > wireless network card" in this system? It has 2 PCMCIA slots, so I
    > think a "Type II" card will fit. It used to have a Fujitsu FM 10304/8
    > Ethernet Card and Montana 28.8 Modem installed, both are now missing...
    >
    > Any leads? I googled and didn't get much info.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Paul

    You also need to know whether you have PCMCIA or Cardbus slots. Most
    if not all wireless g adapters are Cardbus, don't know about b cards,
    based on their 11 Mbps throughput they could be PCMCIA.

    The only easy way that I know to tell the difference between Cardbus
    and PCMCIA is to try to insert a Cardbus card into the slot, if it
    won't fully insert, the slot is not Cardbus.

    Jerry

  4. Re: How to tell if it's PCMCIA 1 or 2?

    > You also need to know whether you have PCMCIA or Cardbus slots. Most
    > if not all wireless g adapters are Cardbus, don't know about b cards,
    > based on their 11 Mbps throughput they could be PCMCIA.

    Thanks Jerry. After searching Google a bit more I came to the same
    conclusion.

    > The only easy way that I know to tell the difference between Cardbus
    > and PCMCIA is to try to insert a Cardbus card into the slot, if it
    > won't fully insert, the slot is not Cardbus.

    So CardBus and PCMCIA are -physically- different? If so, I think I can
    pick up a card at Walmart for relatively cheap to test.

    The slot is designed to hold 2 type I PCMCIA cards, so I'm guessing
    it'll take 1 type II instead (from what I've read it should do this).
    This system still has Windows 95 installed and I checked the drivers.
    It says it's "32 bit" and under system properties it lists "Cirrus Logic
    PCIC compatible PCI to PCMCIA bridge".

    This ultimate goal is to tie this old notebook into a DSL modem/router
    and use it as a dedicated home website server.

    Paul

  5. Re: How to tell if it's PCMCIA 1 or 2?

    > The newer cards are called Cardbus. Look for 16-bit PCMCIA if your
    > machine isn't Cardbus compatible.

    Thanks Bill. How can I tell if it's Cardbus compatible? I googled the
    net and didn't find anything.

    Paul

    --

    =-------------------------------------------------=
    Renewontime

  6. Re: How to tell if it's PCMCIA 1 or 2?

    renewontime dot com wrote:

    > How can I tell if the PCMCIA slots in my computer are PCMCIA 1 or 2?
    > I've got a Samsung Sens 810 that came with Windows 95 installed and I've
    > made it dual boot with Damn Small Linux. I'd like to get a wireless
    > network adapter for it but don't know where to begin. I checked the
    > hardware settings in W95, but no mention of PCMCIA 2. I'm told that
    > there aren't wireless adapters for the older version of PCMCIA.

    The Samsung Sens 810 has two Type II PCMCIA slots. These are 16-bit
    slots. You'll need to be sure to get a 16-bit wireless adapter; that
    will pretty much limit you to 802.11b devices.

    -- Dave

  7. Re: How to tell if it's PCMCIA 1 or 2?

  8. Re: How to tell if it's PCMCIA 1 or 2?

    In article <116r56iobg2dbf2@corp.supernews.com>, renewontime dot com wrote:
    >> The newer cards are called Cardbus. Look for 16-bit PCMCIA if your
    >> machine isn't Cardbus compatible.

    > Thanks Bill. How can I tell if it's Cardbus compatible? I googled the
    > net and didn't find anything.

    Check the boot messages as Linux is coming up. It should say. One key
    item - if the card interface is on an ISA bus, it's PCMCIA-only for sure.
    If it's on a PCI bus, it's at least 90% certain to be Cardbus-compatible.
    (There were a very few chipsets that did PCMCIA-only but hooked onto a
    PCI bus.)

    --
    Sincerely,

    Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

    "There is not a single state in the U.S. where medical malpractice
    OR health insurance premiums have come down by $0.01 since the
    introduction of any tort 'reform' measure." - Webhund

  9. Re: How to tell if it's PCMCIA 1 or 2?

    > Check the boot messages as Linux is coming up. It should say. One key
    > item - if the card interface is on an ISA bus, it's PCMCIA-only for sure.
    > If it's on a PCI bus, it's at least 90% certain to be Cardbus-compatible.
    > (There were a very few chipsets that did PCMCIA-only but hooked onto a
    > PCI bus.)

    It's a notebook computer BTW. I checked the Linux boot sequence (Damn
    Small Linux which is a "streamlined" Debian) and it went by too fast to
    see anything about the PCMCIA. In the Windows 95 device manager it's
    referred to as a "Cirrus Logic PCIC compatible PCI to PCMCIA bridge".
    But nothing further to indicate whether it's 32 bits or 16 bits. Any
    other ideas?

    Thanks,

    Paul

  10. Re: How to tell if it's PCMCIA 1 or 2?

    On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 07:02:45 -1000, renewontime dot com wrote:
    > How can I tell if the PCMCIA slots in my computer are PCMCIA 1 or 2?
    > I've got a Samsung Sens 810 that came with Windows 95 installed and I've
    > made it dual boot with Damn Small Linux. I'd like to get a wireless
    > network adapter for it but don't know where to begin. I checked the
    > hardware settings in W95, but no mention of PCMCIA 2. I'm told that
    > there aren't wireless adapters for the older version of PCMCIA.

    According to this page, the PCI-to-PCMCIA is a Cirrus PD6729:
    http://lists.cse.psu.edu/archives/9f...ly/036982.html
    This is an old laptop (Samsung "SENS 810", 133 MHz Pentium,
    40 meg RAM), but I got *two* of them for the same low,
    low price of zero... having spare parts makes the deal
    more attractive.
    PCI enumeration on this machine seems to go a little
    weird, with the Cardbus bridge (a Cirrus PD6729)
    turning up a gajillion times, though I have worked
    around that with judicious use of "*pcimaxdno=3".

    And according to this page, it's not cardbus:
    http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/PCMCIA-HOWTO-2.html
    PCI-to-PCMCIA bridges that are not CardBus capable, like the
    Cirrus PD6729, are not supported at all by the kernel PCMCIA
    drivers.

    So it sounds like it's 16 bit. FWIW, a colleague has a laptop that
    originally came with Windows 95 and it won't recognize any modern
    cardbus card.

    All the above found via 5 minutes with Google.

    --
    Dale Dellutri (lose the Q's)

  11. Re: How to tell if it's PCMCIA 1 or 2?

    > All the above found via 5 minutes with Google.

    Thanks Dale. Your Google skills are obviously much better than mine ;-)

    Paul

  12. Re: How to tell if it's PCMCIA 1 or 2?

    In article <116sn7hfag5222c@corp.supernews.com>, renewontime dot com wrote:
    >> Check the boot messages as Linux is coming up.

    > It's a notebook computer BTW. I checked the Linux boot sequence (Damn
    > Small Linux which is a "streamlined" Debian) and it went by too fast to
    > see anything about the PCMCIA.

    Try the 'dmesg' command... e.g. 'dmesg | less'.

    > In the Windows 95 device manager it's
    > referred to as a "Cirrus Logic PCIC compatible PCI to PCMCIA bridge".

    That's not a good sign. I've got an old Gateway laptop with a CL
    chipset and it's PCMCIA-only. See what Linux says; if it *can* do
    Cardbus, Linux should say so. If it says PCMCIA, it's PCMCIA-only.

    --
    Sincerely,

    Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

    Isn't the phrase "ruler of the free world" an oxymoron?

  13. Re: How to tell if it's PCMCIA 1 or 2?

    Thanks Ray,

    > Try the 'dmesg' command... e.g. 'dmesg | less'.

    Only lines that appear to refer to PCMCIA are these:

    Intel ISA PCIC probe: not found
    Databook TCIC-2 PCMCIA probe: not found

    I'm not sure what that means though.

    Paul