Soft-button disable of Synaptics touchpad? - Portable

This is a discussion on Soft-button disable of Synaptics touchpad? - Portable ; Okey dokey, here's the basic idea of what I would like to do: Configure a button-combination (or single button using lineak-daemon or similar) to toggle the Enable/Disable state of the Synaptics driver, to mimic the behavior of the HP laptops ...

  1. Soft-button disable of Synaptics touchpad?

    Okey dokey, here's the basic idea of what I would like to do:

    Configure a button-combination (or single button using lineak-daemon or
    similar) to toggle the Enable/Disable state of the Synaptics driver, to
    mimic the behavior of the HP laptops that have the dedicated hardware
    button. My laptop does not have said button, and I'm sick of whacking the
    damn thing with the edge of my thumb while buzzing through some text or
    code, only to have the cursor jump and start inserting text incorrectly.

    Getting a button press to act as a toggle is not the problem, there are
    sixteen ways from Sunday that I can do it. But despite some digging with
    Google, I can't find a nice way to enable/disable the X11 Synaptics module
    on the fly. Is there a command-line app that I'm overlooking? Or is it
    something more tricky, like generating a synthetic XEvent or whatnot?

    Any useful suggestions are welcome. It shouldn't matter, but I'm using
    6.8.0 of XOrg (and no, building 6.8.2 is not an option---it flakes out when
    toggling between the Xdisplay and the virtual consoles, and locks the kernel
    HARD.)

    Any non-useful suggestions or smartass remarks should be handwritten in
    orange crayon, placed in an envelope, and mailed to Dan Quayle, with the
    word "TOP SECRETY STUFF" written in big letters on the envelope.

    -me

  2. Re: Soft-button disable of Synaptics touchpad?

    Answered my own question--found the info on the Gentoo forums.

    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Synaptics_Touchpad

    In case anyone was wondering.

+ Reply to Thread