Acer tablet + Ubuntu 5.04 = success - Portable

This is a discussion on Acer tablet + Ubuntu 5.04 = success - Portable ; I tried SuSE 9.1 and Debian Sarge but so far Ubuntu 'Hoary' is the best for my Acer C110 tablet. Sleep and hibernate, CPU throttling, and battery monitoring all work out-of-the-box. On-the-fly screen rotation is still not there (no surprise) ...

  1. Acer tablet + Ubuntu 5.04 = success

    I tried SuSE 9.1 and Debian Sarge but so far Ubuntu 'Hoary' is the best
    for my Acer C110 tablet.

    Sleep and hibernate, CPU throttling, and battery monitoring all work
    out-of-the-box. On-the-fly screen rotation is still not there (no
    surprise) but the reconfig-and-restart-X method is workable.

    I don't have functional frame buttons but can live without them. One
    remaining issue is the on-screen keyboard. I had been using xvkbd but
    it cannot enter text into certain dialogs (the root password after
    starting a root console, for example) and I haven't been able to make it
    appear on top of the "lock up" screen after resuming from
    sleep/hibernate so that I can log-in again.

    I think I'm very close to the day that WinXP Tablet Edition will no
    longer have a reason to exist on my machine.

    --
    Harry

    "A future start-up with no patents of its own will be forced to pay
    whatever price the giants choose to impose." Bill Gates 1991

  2. Re: Acer tablet + Ubuntu 5.04 = success

    Harry Mofo wrote in :

    >I tried SuSE 9.1 and Debian Sarge but so far Ubuntu 'Hoary' is the best
    >for my Acer C110 tablet.
    >
    >Sleep and hibernate, CPU throttling, and battery monitoring all work
    >out-of-the-box. On-the-fly screen rotation is still not there (no
    >surprise) but the reconfig-and-restart-X method is workable.
    >
    >I don't have functional frame buttons but can live without them. One
    >remaining issue is the on-screen keyboard. I had been using xvkbd but
    >it cannot enter text into certain dialogs (the root password after
    >starting a root console, for example) and I haven't been able to make it
    >appear on top of the "lock up" screen after resuming from
    >sleep/hibernate so that I can log-in again.
    >
    >I think I'm very close to the day that WinXP Tablet Edition will no
    >longer have a reason to exist on my machine.

    FWIW, I got the frame buttons programmed by creating a file called
    /etc/init.d/setkeycodes with contents:
    #scroll up
    setkeycodes 68 103
    #scroll down
    setkeycodes 69 108
    #enter (dot)
    setkeycodes 67 28

    then doing "update-rc.d setkeycodes start 99 5 ." so the commands are
    executed when entering run level 5. There's probably a better/simpler
    way.

    I was able to eliminate the "can't login without a keyboard after waking
    from sleep" problem by commenting-out "LOCK_SCREEN=true" in
    /etc/default/acpi-support.

    Windows is gone.

    --
    Harry