successor for dell i8200 - Portable

This is a discussion on successor for dell i8200 - Portable ; I really like my insprion 8200. But I don't like this new inspiron 9xxx stuff. Much to large, incomaptible hardware to i8xxx and so on. Also Dell is even more MS friendly than some years ago (which I thought is ...

  1. successor for dell i8200

    I really like my insprion 8200. But I don't like this new inspiron 9xxx
    stuff. Much to large, incomaptible hardware to i8xxx and so on. Also
    Dell is even more MS friendly than some years ago (which I thought is
    not possible)...

    So, right now I've no idea what to buy next. The most important feature
    I like to get is a 1600x1200 resolution and at least 1GB, better 2GB of
    RAM, anything else (including price) is secondary.

    Any help?
    Jan

  2. Re: successor for dell i8200

    Jan Schubert wrote:
    > I really like my insprion 8200. But I don't like this new inspiron 9xxx
    > stuff. Much to large, incomaptible hardware to i8xxx and so on. Also
    > Dell is even more MS friendly than some years ago (which I thought is
    > not possible)...
    >
    > So, right now I've no idea what to buy next. The most important feature
    > I like to get is a 1600x1200 resolution and at least 1GB, better 2GB of
    > RAM, anything else (including price) is secondary.
    >
    > Any help?
    > Jan

    Are they still selling the 5150?

    That is what I got last year to replace my 8200. I lease mine so I get a
    new one every two years.

    My 5150 has a 3.2 Ghz P4, 2 Gb of RAM, a 60 Gb high speed HD and the
    UXGA 1600x1200 panel. I also have a 20 inch 1600x1200 external panel
    that I connect in non-xinerama mode.

    I run FC3 on it and it works just fine (save the non-hardware hardware
    like the modem and wireless, etc.). For those I just use PCMCIA cards
    when needed.

    You might want to check their web site to see what is available. FWIW,
    FC3 supports the WUXGA screens, given the updates to xorg.

    Depending upon what your timeline is, be aware that around this time
    next year, the portable versions of the Intel dual-core chips should be
    out. I am hoping that the timeline works out for when the lease on my
    5150 is up.

    HTH,

    Marc Schwartz

  3. Re: successor for dell i8200

    Marc Schwartz wrote:
    > Are they still selling the 5150?

    Ahh, interessting. Do they've compatible power adapters (can I use them
    from my i8200)? Especialy from this piece of hardware I've a whole bunch
    on every thinkable location I use my box....

    Did your i8200 also had problems whith its DVD/CDR Drive? All our i8200
    we've show the same problem after 2 years.

    Thx a lot,
    Jan

  4. Re: successor for dell i8200

    Jan Schubert wrote:
    > Marc Schwartz wrote:
    >
    >>Are they still selling the 5150?

    > Ahh, interessting. Do they've compatible power adapters (can I use them
    > from my i8200)? Especialy from this piece of hardware I've a whole bunch
    > on every thinkable location I use my box....
    >
    > Did your i8200 also had problems whith its DVD/CDR Drive? All our i8200
    > we've show the same problem after 2 years.
    >
    > Thx a lot,
    > Jan

    Jan,

    To be honest, I do not think so. I believe that the power connector on
    the computer side is larger on the 5150 than it was on the 8200. There
    may also be a wattage difference. I could be wrong on that and I would
    verify that with Dell. A quick Google search suggests that there are
    different part numbers for the two adapters.

    I did not have any problems with the DVD/CD drive, but given that I only
    had the unit for two years, it is possible that I may have been on the
    short side of the MTBF for the drive. There are of course other factors
    that go into that, like travel, quantity of use, etc. that can affect
    that figure.

    HTH,

    Marc

  5. Re: successor for dell i8200

    Marc Schwartz wrote:
    > Jan Schubert wrote:
    >
    >>Marc Schwartz wrote:
    >>

    >>>Are they still selling the 5150?

    >>Ahh, interessting. Do they've compatible power adapters (can I use them
    >>from my i8200)? Especialy from this piece of hardware I've a whole bunch
    >>on every thinkable location I use my box....
    >>
    >>Did your i8200 also had problems whith its DVD/CDR Drive? All our i8200
    >>we've show the same problem after 2 years.
    >>
    >>Thx a lot,
    >>Jan

    > Jan,
    >
    > To be honest, I do not think so. I believe that the power connector on
    > the computer side is larger on the 5150 than it was on the 8200. There
    > may also be a wattage difference. I could be wrong on that and I would
    > verify that with Dell. A quick Google search suggests that there are
    > different part numbers for the two adapters.
    >
    > I did not have any problems with the DVD/CD drive, but given that I only
    > had the unit for two years, it is possible that I may have been on the
    > short side of the MTBF for the drive. There are of course other factors
    > that go into that, like travel, quantity of use, etc. that can affect
    > that figure.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Marc

    If memory serves, the i8200 uses a Dell 90W power supply. That's the one
    with the three pin jack. Now, if the Inspirons are anything like the
    Latitudes (I have a C840 that does this), it can tell when you plug it
    into a 70W supply and drops the CPU speed to conserve power (magic or
    something - mine drops from 2.0GHz to 700MHz), and advises you on bootup
    that it's doing this. So no harm in using a 70W, just don't expect the
    normally blistering performance out of the unit.

    I also have a C400. I travel with both these Dells, and interchange the
    power bricks often (I have spares and like to cycle the load - not that
    they're expensive to replace or anything...)

    Either way, apart from the physical connection, the power bricks are
    wired identically. If you find yourself with a 3-pin brick and a coax
    socket, just grab yourself a soldering iron and rewire the brick. Core
    positive! (I know; I've rewired who knows how many bricks [and
    motherboards], they're /all/ centre-positive)

    Cheers,
    Jim

+ Reply to Thread